Tracking Deer - 4 part series

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Re: Tracking Deer - 4 part series

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:29 am

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Someday I want to come up and hunt in the northern big woods!

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:30 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:I was going to cancel one of my big woods public hunting trips because it's 6 weeks before another baby arriving. This thread reminded me of what's really important, so I penciled the hunt back in. Seriously though, I don't want to miss that time with my dad and I'll cut the hunt if I need to... or drive back 7-8 hours if I need to.

Nice thread Magic. You picked 4 really good topics to talk about.

• Numbers / Odds
  • Learning
  • Killing the Excuses
  • Fun

Good for you tom. And congrats on the upcoming addition.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:32 am

Thanx Magic!! Again!! You've really got me dreaming of the northwoods again. As soon as my Lyme clears up I'll be heading back up there. TRACKING!!

I have quite a bit of Benoits stuff. Anybody else get into some good but differing ideas from them?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:51 am

Magic, what books do you recommend? I have Larry Benoits "How To Bag The Biggest Buck Of Your Life" but want to read whatever I can get my hands on.

Another question..... When do you do your tracking do you wait till after opening weekend of the gun season to avoid the mob of hunters and just wait till things settle down during the week or just head to remote spots many don't hunt? I could see how this could be good after opening day if bucks stack up in certain areas.

I have had people tell me it's a waste of time to scout in snow after the season. I disagree because although deeper snow can really alter travel patterns it can still tell you plenty about a mature buck that lives in the area. Nothing I love more than following a bucks trail and trying to figure out where he was going and why. It's amazing how they stick to certain land features and vegetation cover for travel. I have found so many primary beds and stand sites this way that have produced so many sightings and kills over the years. So ridiculously easy to find just by following tracks in the snow. Tracking like this really gets you thinking like a deer. Everything they do is for a reason. Wish I had gun hunted this way many years ago. Feel like I wasted my best years sitting on stand from dark to dark waiting for a deer to come to me instead of making it happen myself. Hoping my best years are yet to come. 8-)
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:16 pm

This is neat! Thanks

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:00 am

I's a skill I'm trying hard to learn. I'm mostly in a stand during the season. In Massachusetts (South Coast area) we don't reliably get snow during the season. If we do get it then it's usually warm enough to be gone the next day.. Then we get hammered in January after the seasons close... Figures..

I've tried taking up tracks in the mud or on bare ground. I've always lost them though. The deer wonder onto dry ground and then I basically lose the track. Sometimes I can keep on it for a bit by seeing disturbances in the leaves on the ground. But eventually even that fades and I lose it.

Frustrating but I keep at it.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:48 am

:clap: Excellent series magic, I've been reading a couple of the Benoit books and hope to get my first taste of tracking this fall.
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:50 am

Thanks for sharing with us!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:22 pm

Dewey wrote:Magic, what books do you recommend? I have Larry Benoits "How To Bag The Biggest Buck Of Your Life" but want to read whatever I can get my hands on.

Another question..... When do you do your tracking do you wait till after opening weekend of the gun season to avoid the mob of hunters and just wait till things settle down during the week or just head to remote spots many don't hunt? I could see how this could be good after opening day if bucks stack up in certain areas.

I have had people tell me it's a waste of time to scout in snow after the season. I disagree because although deeper snow can really alter travel patterns it can still tell you plenty about a mature buck that lives in the area. Nothing I love more than following a bucks trail and trying to figure out where he was going and why. It's amazing how they stick to certain land features and vegetation cover for travel. I have found so many primary beds and stand sites this way that have produced so many sightings and kills over the years. So ridiculously easy to find just by following tracks in the snow. Tracking like this really gets you thinking like a deer. Everything they do is for a reason. Wish I had gun hunted this way many years ago. Feel like I wasted my best years sitting on stand from dark to dark waiting for a deer to come to me instead of making it happen myself. Hoping my best years are yet to come. 8-)

I track whenever I can. I don't worry what day it is. I try to avoid areas that are pounded by people/ bait piles. I've never seen bucks "stack up".

the books and tapes from benoits are helpful and Hal Blood too.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:28 pm

I highly recommend Hal Bloods first book, "Hunting Big Woods Bucks". I like it as much as the Benoit books.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Big-Woods ... 1616080434

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:31 am

Terry wrote:I highly recommend Hal Bloods first book, "Hunting Big Woods Bucks". I like it as much as the Benoit books.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Big-Woods ... 1616080434

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Great book!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:45 am

Great thread on the most exciting way to pursue a mature buck! I love my bowhunting, but the adrenaline comes in short bursts that are few and far between. Tracking gives you constant excitement- you never know what's behind the next tree or around the next corner!
backstraphunter

Unread postby backstraphunter » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:57 pm

looking forword to learning some pointers
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:13 am

What do you think is the most important key to being able to identify a mature buck track. Track width, depth.showing dew claws/ flatter track indicating heavy weight, stride length or trail width/distance from outside of right track to left track.

Though maybe not as dramatic as in people these can vary from animal to animal.

I'm a numbers guy so any basic dimensions on these.

Thanx Magic!!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:47 am

The question I think your asking is really based off of larger deer..?
It's hard to tell a mature track unless it's more flat footed, thus typically older.

Mature tracks are likely bigger, as one experiences, however I also quantify the track by width of stance (chest), length of stride, depth of imprint while taking the ground conditions into account and hoof print width.

These are also little pieces of the mature/large buck puzzle ;)

I'm no Magic just common folk...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”