Watering Hole

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

attackone

Watering Hole

Unread postby attackone » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:49 am

Im wanting to add to small water holes to the main property that i hunt, i have places blue circles where i think they will be a good spot to be at....just wanted opinions what you guys think, any suggestions would be great.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Watering Hole

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:37 am

I like the one next to the point, but not the one down in the bottom. Its hard to kill bucks in bottoms due to wind and thermal activity, so I would not want to draw deer ion that direction, rather pull them out.
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:21 am

dan wrote:I like the one next to the point, but not the one down in the bottom. Its hard to kill bucks in bottoms due to wind and thermal activity, so I would not want to draw deer ion that direction, rather pull them out.

Dan they are both on a point
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:33 am

I might be thinking out loud here, but I thought you don't want the waterhole right on a point where they bed? I thought you wanted to draw them from their beds, on points, to an area down the ridge more away from the point? I guess I was thinking you wanted to be maybe 80 yards away or so, just so they can't see you get into your tree.
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:47 am

also i dont think the one in upper one is in the location that i think it is...im pretty sure its going to be more up the hill
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:47 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I might be thinking out loud here, but I thought you don't want the waterhole right on a point where they bed? I thought you wanted to draw them from their beds, on points, to an area down the ridge more away from the point? I guess I was thinking you wanted to be maybe 80 yards away or so, just so they can't see you get into your tree.

you might be right but i was trying to pull them up the hill or give them a stop to drink before hitting the fields
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:49 am

attackone wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:I might be thinking out loud here, but I thought you don't want the waterhole right on a point where they bed? I thought you wanted to draw them from their beds, on points, to an area down the ridge more away from the point? I guess I was thinking you wanted to be maybe 80 yards away or so, just so they can't see you get into your tree.

you might be right but i was trying to pull them up the hill or give them a stop to drink before hitting the fields

So, you are thinking they are bedded down low, and coming up the hill to feed at night?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:29 am

The lower one looks ok, MAybe I would move it more to the East side rather than the middle though. The other one appears to be on a hill side, but its hard to pick out a point there...

Yes. You don't want it to be right on the point, but the lower one is close to where you want it... The other one might be a good spot, but I can't tell from that map...
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:24 am

I went a bought a kiddie pool last night at walmart but decided just to buy one instead of 2. So i think im going to put it in the area of the upper blue dot, do you think its to late to do it this year (season starts Oct.3) or should i be good to go.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:26 am

How do you intend to keep the kiddie pool full of water without scenting up the area? I thought you were putting in actual water holes...
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:47 am

my plan was to test it out first and then if it work put the hole in, if you think that the kiddie pool wont hold water then i guess i will wait until next year to put the watering hole in
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:09 am

I think the water would just evaporate out of the kiddie pool to quick for the deer to use it continuously, maybe not though if u get a lot of rain in that area

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”