your "analog" hunting journal

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
Lockdown
Moderator
Posts: 8021
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: MN
Status: Offline

your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Growing up, I can remember taking trips to my uncles farm every weekend. What did that mean? Dad was going to mess with his horses and I got to hunt around the farm with my BB gun! I'd keep a mental tab of my kills for the day... It was a sense of accomplishment for me. When I was old enough to start waterfowling, my Dad suggested I keep track of what I killed in a journal. So I did.

I should look it up but I think my migratory bird total hit 200 by the time I was 18. Regardless, I have dozens of memories solidified in my mind thanks to a 25 year old blue notebook. Most of those hunts would be long forgotten if it weren't for that notebook. It's pretty neat to look back at my handwriting when I was 7, scribbling the details of how I ground swatted a blue winged teal with a single shot 20 gauge while perched on my Dad's shoulder. (spot and stalk... I was too small for waders :lol: )

When I started deer hunting I did the same thing. Now I'm 32 and can go back 20 years and re-live EVERY... SINGLE... DEER. The date, the weapon, the emotion, the whole 9 yards. Dad is 59 and he can do the same thing.

It might seem stupid to some of you, but make a journal and document your successes, or see to it that your kid does. It seems I thumb through mine a time or two each year and reminisce. You won't regret it.


User avatar
Ryan
500 Club
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:36 am
Location: north carolina
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby Ryan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:46 pm

I did the same thing right back to when I was 12 or 13, then I moved and I lost it somewhere :doh: Hopefully it will turn up one day, until then have to start a new one
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 32043
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:55 pm

I started hunting logs back in 1994 and still do them today. Brings back a lot of memories reading the old stuff from those early years. What I lacked in knowledge was made up for with shear determination and lots of hard work.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club
Posts: 4579
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:26 am
Location: IA
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:17 am

I started a hunting journal in 2006 and wish I started it 20 years earlier when I was a kid too. Since then I have jotted down a few earlier memories too.

I think a journal, collection of stories, or whatever form fits a person would be more valuable to a person's family after they die than any collection of bone on a wall. I would encourage everyone to write some of that stuff down before its too late. You don't have to be a good writer, just write down what you saw and thought and that will show.
User avatar
johndeere506
500 Club
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:59 am
Location: MI
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:17 am

Ive kept an quick hunt summary in excel the past several years. I have wind directions, stand location, time and short 2-3 sentence notes on days worth noting. It would be cool to go back and write a short story on each of my deer Ive taken. Bucks and doe maybe. I dont shoot many doe so it would be pretty easy. Good idea for people reading years from now, never thought of that. Thanks
User avatar
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Posts: 18739
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:18 am
Facebook: None
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:45 am

It's kind of weird but I have never kept a hunting journal or log book. I'm not sure what is wrong with me. I just don't like reading or writing much. I figure if I don't want to read my journal no one else will want to read it. I never kept notes in school either.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
User avatar
Kraftd
500 Club
Posts: 2769
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:44 pm
Location: NE IL
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:31 am

Stanley wrote:It's kind of weird but I have never kept a hunting journal or log book. I'm not sure what is wrong with me. I just don't like reading or writing much. I figure if I don't want to read my journal no one else will want to read it. I never kept notes in school either.


I think there are plenty of folks around here who would kill for a chance to read a Stanley journal!

I have a couple of random entries a year in various formats, but never really kept up with it well. I have taken at least a few photos each hunt for the last 5 or 6 years that I save down by date, and really enjoy going back through those. Usually those trigger memories pretty well. The last two years I have also taken a screen shot of the moon app I use, the weather app I use, and an on-line map, so I have at least preserved that data if I ever have the gumption to use it. Might make one more stab at a written journal this year.
User avatar
PK_
500 Club
Posts: 6259
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 am
Location: Just Off
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:42 am

I don't keep a journal. Just not enjoyable for me. It's like giving me another chore. I do like penning some of my more memorable hunts. What is really cool is on shutterfly I can make it into a book with pics of the scenery/kill camp etc. I plan on making several and hopefully my kids will like them...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JoeRE
500 Club
Posts: 4579
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:26 am
Location: IA
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:57 am

PK_ wrote:I don't keep a journal. Just not enjoyable for me. It's like giving me another chore. I do like penning some of my more memorable hunts. What is really cool is on shutterfly I can make it into a book with pics of the scenery/kill camp etc. I plan on making several and hopefully my kids will like them...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image


That's a good example of doing whatever fits your style. Serious journals are def. not for everyone. Imagine paging through old notes and photos or whatever works for a person 30 years from now telling hunting stories to your grandkids or whoever else. Even just print out a photo and write 3 sentences on the back. I just about guarantee they would love it.
User avatar
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club
Posts: 2644
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:08 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:34 am

johndeere506 wrote:Ive kept an quick hunt summary in excel the past several years. I have wind directions, stand location, time and short 2-3 sentence notes on days worth noting. It would be cool to go back and write a short story on each of my deer Ive taken. Bucks and doe maybe. I dont shoot many doe so it would be pretty easy. Good idea for people reading years from now, never thought of that. Thanks


I do the same but in a 4X6 bound note book that I get at Staples. It is good for two seasons and it has a pocket in the back that I use for pictures pertaining to those hunts.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
User avatar
bigwoodsmn
Posts: 1732
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:15 pm
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:52 am

I kept a notebook at our "new" fishing / hunting camp, from 99 through last year. I brought it home... need to scan those pages because they are treasures. Friends and family filled out many of the pages. I need to bring a new notebook out there. Took 15 years to fill the first one.

I started one a couple years ago when I bought a 5th wheel RV... but that log is now filled with fishing trips... and just about any outdoor adventure.

Even a few sentences brings you right back to that day...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
User avatar
cbigbear
Posts: 1717
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:52 am
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/
Location: S Lousiana
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:18 am

I've seen Mr Warren's logs first hand. It's incredible to see 40+ yrs of hunt by hunt journals, plus pics or video.

I think this is an awesome idea but have tried & failed numerous times to keep logs. Of course 90% of my entries would go like this - it was hot, the skeeters were bad, saw 3 squirrels, zero deer, this place sucks!!!?

http://outdoorcore.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
User avatar
Lockdown
Moderator
Posts: 8021
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:56 pm

JoeRE wrote:
PK_ wrote:I don't keep a journal. Just not enjoyable for me. It's like giving me another chore. I do like penning some of my more memorable hunts. What is really cool is on shutterfly I can make it into a book with pics of the scenery/kill camp etc. I plan on making several and hopefully my kids will like them...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image


That's a good example of doing whatever fits your style. [glow=red]Serious journals are def. not for everyone[/glow]. Imagine paging through old notes and photos or whatever works for a person 30 years from now telling hunting stories to your grandkids or whoever else. Even just print out a photo and write 3 sentences on the back. I just about guarantee they would love it.


I agree Joe

I do keep scouting journals now, and this year will probably start a hunt by hunt journal. But the kind I'm referring to for this thread is all about the deer you kill. I named my journal the "Big Buck Book". Funny thing is, the big buck book didn't have a big buck entry until 11 years after it was started! :lol:

To give you an idea, I'll make up an entry.

Nov. 8th 1998. 3rd Day of the shotgun season. Dad and I headed to "Jim Bob's" riverbottom and I sat in the SE stand. Right at last light a doe and fawn came out of the cattails. They headed North toward the river... the doe seemed nervous and kept looking behind her. After a few minutes a buck followed the same path. I ranged him at 110 yards, stopped him, and pulled the trigger. DROPPED HIM IN HIS TRACKS!!! Leah (my sister) got mad again because she sat the same stand opening day and didn't see a deer. A little luck never hurts! Shot him with Dad's Remington 870 Wingmaster with a Leupold 1.5x5 scope, smooth bore barrel and Remington Sluggers. 3rd buck of my life.

Its amazing how the minor details bring the entire hunt back to you.
User avatar
Lockdown
Moderator
Posts: 8021
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:59 pm

bigwoodsmn wrote:I kept a notebook at our "new" fishing / hunting camp, from 99 through last year. I brought it home... need to scan those pages because they are treasures. Friends and family filled out many of the pages. I need to bring a new notebook out there. Took 15 years to fill the first one.

I started one a couple years ago when I bought a 5th wheel RV... but that log is now filled with fishing trips... and just about any outdoor adventure.

Even a few sentences brings you right back to that day...

[ Post made via Android ] Image


8-) EXACTLY
hunter10
500 Club
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:24 pm
Status: Offline

Re: your "analog" hunting journal

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:16 pm

Have tried off and on with a hunting journal over the year but recently started a guest book at the cottage. Something to look back on and see who came up and the memories made. Always neat to read a couple of them and see the hand writing that was a little shaky after a few beers around the fire. Good times


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amarty734, Google Adsense [Bot], Hawthorne, john1984, MitchB, Primetime41, Yimmyb60 and 4 guests