The bear bait buck...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: The bear bait buck...

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:27 am

This was an interesting read and I had forgotten about it since hunting season - glad it was brought back to top. For a 3 year old to grow that much mass and antler length is phenomenal. One can only imagine what he will look like this year as I believe you all had a relatively mild winter???

I am hoping you get another crack at this one Dan as these are the kind of pursuits that personally peaks my interest - multi-year and after a specific buck. To me there is a huge gap between pursuing a specific mature animal and hunting mature animals in general. I am pretty good a putting myself in a spot where a mature animal passes (provided I am in an area that has a healthy population of them) - but I often get humbled quickly when it comes to hunting a specific buck ---- it really highlights where I have holes in my understanding of what he does, when and where.

I am looking forward to this and I hope your camera confirms he is alive and well so the rest of us can follow along.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri May 20, 2016 4:28 am

Hawthorne wrote:
dan wrote:
Can you explain why you think this deer was 3 years old last season
Rub height, track size, bed size in snow, and body face features... I could be wrong. But I think he is likely 3 in those pic's.

That buck will be something special if he was only 3. They say Boone and Crockett bucks are freaks of nature. Kinda like a 7 foot human. I remember reading that the Milo Hanson buck was only 3 when it was shot. Hope you get him this fall Dan.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I find it hard to believe that he's three, but it's possible. I know a guy who killed a buck that was close to net Boone, and when he asked me to guess how old it was, I said 6.5 or 7.5 going by mass and circumference of his bases. He said he sent his teeth in and he was aged at 3.5. I couldn't believe it.

I also saw a 160+ at a SD gas station with the body of a two year old. My buddy's 188" dressed in the low 130s, but there might have been something wrong with him.

Even if the Bear bait buck has smaller than average body and hoof size and was actually a 4.5 last year, some good jumps in rack size are often seen from 4.5 to 5.5...

Good luck Dan!! Hope to see this one in the killzone!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri May 20, 2016 6:47 am

Just read through the whole thread. Man, what an amazing animal. Very interesting that he was hitting the bear bait like he was. Never really have heard of that. I would have to say though, if that buck is still around, I have a pretty good feeling he is going to be in big trouble. With knowing where he was bedded last year, the game has really changed. The trail cam info was second to none also. Dan really picked up a lot of info with that camera there. Hope to hear more story on this buck this summer.
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Sat May 21, 2016 1:48 pm

Mibowfreak wrote:Just read through the whole thread. Man, what an amazing animal. Very interesting that he was hitting the bear bait like he was. Never really have heard of that. I would have to say though, if that buck is still around, I have a pretty good feeling he is going to be in big trouble. With knowing where he was bedded last year, the game has really changed. The trail cam info was second to none also. Dan really picked up a lot of info with that camera there. Hope to hear more story on this buck this summer.

X2

rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:55 am

Read through these posts last night. What an incredible story. Hoping to read more in the coming days!

swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Dan. In your experience is it common for a mature buck in a big woods setting to disappear or move from year to year. Have you had much success relocating them in the past
Thanks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:39 am

swampyak wrote:Dan. In your experience is it common for a mature buck in a big woods setting to disappear or move from year to year. Have you had much success relocating them in the past
Thanks

Yes... But the move does not generally seem as far as some might think. I also think they have timing patterns and will come back the same time next year, if food patterns are the same. I have had some success relocating bucks that move, but you have to spend some time looking and working at it. Its hard to do when/if your hunting several hours from home on weekends.

Up where your at (in far northern Minnesota) you might be getting a lot farther moves when they adjust for winter, than we get down here.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Dan
Thanks for the info
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:54 pm

That distance you have to travel for this one makes it tough, and at 4 they are supposed to dissapear, at least everything I read in the magazines ;)
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:05 am

dan wrote:I Must be a deer magnet... they show up where ever i go. :lol:

You are welcome to drop in here anytime!! LOL :dance: :dance:
H2archer

Unread postby H2archer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Awesome read! I was getting excited reading the updates even knowing it was in the past... I never would have guessed deer eating sweets like that. pretty neat stuff.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”