Public land "interruptions".

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Re: Public land "interruptions".

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri May 08, 2015 4:14 pm

just remember one thing OP, Where the water starts the pressure ends. As stated before seek out the flooded hardwood bottoms, rivers/creeks and lake areas. You would be surprised at the extent an animal would go to survive.

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 08, 2015 5:03 pm

Twenty Up wrote:just remember one thing OP, Where the water starts the pressure ends. As stated before seek out the flooded hardwood bottoms, rivers/creeks and lake areas. You would be surprised at the extent an animal would go to survive.

Yup. I set up a camera in flooded timber that was 2 1/2-3 feet deep water and couldn't believe it when I got a bunch of buck pics. Every single one was P&Y and better up to 160" and that was early-mid October during the so called "lull". Not one single doe or small buck. The following two seasons I killed a 142" and a 130" out of that same spot nobody ever even thought about hunting. Best part was zero hunting pressure. Bucks love water and I always say if your hunting marshes and don't occasionaly have ducks and muskrats swimming under your stand then your not in the right spot. :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Fri May 08, 2015 5:32 pm

Bucks won't bed in water though, correct? So, if there's a marsh or swamp etc. That holds water all year long then its safe to say bucks won't be bedding in it unless there's some dry ground tucked somewhere?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 08, 2015 6:18 pm

remmag wrote:Bucks won't bed in water though, correct? So, if there's a marsh or swamp etc. That holds water all year long then its safe to say bucks won't be bedding in it unless there's some dry ground tucked somewhere?

During very high pressure situations like the gun season I have seen them bed right in shallower water but doubt they do for long periods. Those areas that hold dry ground just barely above the water are the key for finding bucks in that stuff especially if there is good escape cover nearby. Many times one larger tree in flooded timber will have just enough dry ground around the roots for a bed even though everything else is under water.

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:24 am

I feel for the guys who only are able to hunt public land. it must get tiring getting all excited for the hunt only to be interupted soon after. I myself hunt mostly private and still deal with tresspassers, farmer giving permission to more than enough guys, farmers doing their fields, hikers etc and i dont always mind it if its on occasion. its frustrating when its regular
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun May 10, 2015 2:07 pm

hunter10 wrote:I feel for the guys who only are able to hunt public land. it must get tiring getting all excited for the hunt only to be interupted soon after. I myself hunt mostly private and still deal with tresspassers, farmer giving permission to more than enough guys, farmers doing their fields, hikers etc and i dont always mind it if its on occasion. its frustrating when its regular

It is interesting what everyone's experiences are...I quit hunting private because all the disruptions. To this day I could still be hunting a couple private farms if I wanted to. I never have hunted "exclusive access" private, so there was always competition on the private land I have hunted that in my experience was more obnoxious than what I see on public most of the time. Now I work harder to find good spots on public but when I find those areas I deal with less disruptions on public actually.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun May 10, 2015 2:38 pm

hunter10 wrote:I feel for the guys who only are able to hunt public land. it must get tiring getting all excited for the hunt only to be interupted soon after. I myself hunt mostly private and still deal with tresspassers, farmer giving permission to more than enough guys, farmers doing their fields, hikers etc and i dont always mind it if its on occasion. its frustrating when its regular

Don't feel sorry for me. I could buy land if I wanted but I by far and away prefer to hunt public land . I would need several thousand ac. of private land to satisfy my wandering curiosity. Dont have that much money . There are many good comments here. One time I PM'd Jackson marsh and asked how he sees so many deer. He said " " Hookem, ya got to at least get your ankles wet." " Since then like everyone here said most people dont hunt water. ( Funny Dewey about muskrats and ducks) but I have never seen so many ducks scouting in my life. . . and the deer sign in those marshes are unreal. I have not hunted the marshes yet but put up a trail cam for a month on a trail just coming out of the dogwood marsh. A few observations,,, I got an amazing amount of day pics . The water all around this small high ground peninsula is nothing but mud, water, skunk cabbage and a foot of water is average and it has been a very dry spring to boot. I can't believe the deer coming out of that marsh. Albeit, there is no pressure in May. We will see what happens in November. Another observation ,, not everyone can do this but I am self employed ( only good thing about being self employed too) is I can take off almost instantly on a job. I have noticed without exception when the weather is bad the hunters are home. Hunters just dont like water, wind , snow , rain. I see more deer when rain is on the way especially fog and drizzle. Everyone is home watching football, you should be out in a tree. Amazing , after I got my buck I had time to drive around public land. Two amazing observations : Almost noone hunts mornings and even a slight drizzle keeps 90% of the cars out of the parking lots. Noone is hunting weekdays in the morning.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun May 10, 2015 3:57 pm

I truely love hunting public. The people problems went away yrs ago. I seldom have run Ins with other hunters. If I do I hunt somewhere else. The key for me is to just really know the lands I hunt.. unstanding how other hunters hunt and manuvering around them.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon May 11, 2015 12:40 am

Dewey wrote:Yup. I set up a camera in flooded timber that was 2 1/2-3 feet deep water and couldn't believe it when I got a bunch of buck pics. Every single one was P&Y and better up to 160" and that was early-mid October during the so called "lull". Not one single doe or small buck. The following two seasons I killed a 142" and a 130" out of that same spot nobody ever even thought about hunting. Best part was zero hunting pressure. Bucks love water and I always say if your hunting marshes and don't occasionaly have ducks and muskrats swimming under your stand then your not in the right spot. :lol:

So when you set up you have water under you tree? How do you set up without putting any of your gear on the ground? I would love to see a video on how you do it.

I never would have considered setting up on a tree in a foot or two of water. I can see why there is no pressure there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image[/quote]

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 11, 2015 3:26 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:Yup. I set up a camera in flooded timber that was 2 1/2-3 feet deep water and couldn't believe it when I got a bunch of buck pics. Every single one was P&Y and better up to 160" and that was early-mid October during the so called "lull". Not one single doe or small buck. The following two seasons I killed a 142" and a 130" out of that same spot nobody ever even thought about hunting. Best part was zero hunting pressure. Bucks love water and I always say if your hunting marshes and don't occasionaly have ducks and muskrats swimming under your stand then your not in the right spot. :lol:

So when you set up you have water under you tree? How do you set up without putting any of your gear on the ground? I would love to see a video on how you do it.

I never would have considered setting up on a tree in a foot or two of water. I can see why there is no pressure there.

In spots like that there is usually a small hump at the base of the larger trees. In some cases I hang my stuff on branches as I set up if there is no dry spot on the ground.

One of the bucks I killed. Right before this pic was taken I found him submerged with only one antler sticking above water.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon May 11, 2015 5:27 am

I love the visual stuff. Good pics.

remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Mon May 11, 2015 6:36 am

oldrank wrote:I love the visual stuff. Good pics.

+1, you weren't kidding when you mentioned ducks and muskrats swimming under you :lol:

bucksnbows

Unread postby bucksnbows » Mon May 11, 2015 7:42 am

Last season on public land I bumped into a hunter on the way in on a planned all day sit. He set up 80 yards away from me. He missed a nice buck that morning. He then packed and left at 10:30 in the morning. I hung in there and killed a buck at 1:30 pm.

Two days later I filmed my buddy out of the same tree. Coincidently that same hunter and his buddy were also filming and they set up 60 yards away.
We killed another buck that morning.
Not to mention we are now buddies with the other two hunters. We were in Ohio hunting and I'm from Michigan the other two guys were locals.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon May 11, 2015 7:48 am

Great pics Dewey! Would that have been considered high water years or dryer years?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 11, 2015 7:56 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Great pics Dewey! Would that have been considered high water years or dryer years?

Those pics were high water years. 3 seasons ago everything was bone dry and the bucks were gone. Levels are back up to normal again so I am looking forward to some good hunting again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”