Swamp and marsh Safety

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Swamp and marsh Safety

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:52 am

Jonny wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Jonny wrote:Early season in the marsh = jungle boots

Just ran into this thread again. I think Dewey might have linked to it recently. Always a good one to review.

Jonny... any particular brand or style of jungle boot? I’m thinking of doing this in early season.

I have a pair of nikes and Dewey has these https://uspatriottactical.com/otb-jungl ... oots-sage/

Only advice I have is to pick a pair with drain holes on the side and in the sole. Mine hold no water in them. I’ve seen some with only holes on the sides so your still have some water trapped.

I know guys are against Nike, but it was really easy for me to buy them cause I know exactly what size is always good for me, and I can return them easily in person.

Oh. And break them in now. Not on your first hunt.

Good stuff, thanks. I’m definitely going to break in getting wet now to scout and check some remote fields, so I’ll get them a bit swampy.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:16 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Jonny wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Jonny wrote:Early season in the marsh = jungle boots

Just ran into this thread again. I think Dewey might have linked to it recently. Always a good one to review.

Jonny... any particular brand or style of jungle boot? I’m thinking of doing this in early season.

I have a pair of nikes and Dewey has these https://uspatriottactical.com/otb-jungl ... oots-sage/

Only advice I have is to pick a pair with drain holes on the side and in the sole. Mine hold no water in them. I’ve seen some with only holes on the sides so your still have some water trapped.

I know guys are against Nike, but it was really easy for me to buy them cause I know exactly what size is always good for me, and I can return them easily in person.

Oh. And break them in now. Not on your first hunt.

Good stuff, thanks. I’m definitely going to break in getting wet now to scout and check some remote fields, so I’ll get them a bit swampy.

For mine the suggested break in was to get them soaking wet, then go for a walk in them. So I took my dogs for a walk. Did this every couple of days and now they are like slippers on my feet. Also wear mine a bunch in the summer wading small rivers.

And wear high wool socks
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:42 pm

Im rethinking scouting the swamp where I hunt in the winter time. Im worried about taking a step and sinking.....
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:57 pm

Down here it is the dang moccasins. This year i have seen over 35 snakes, killed 8 of them and damn near stepped on 3. If I was hunting up North, in late season i would have been in trouble several times as I have dumped small kayaks twice and slid down a creek into chest deep water once. But truthfully, most of the time it is more dangerous driving to my spots with ice on road then once I get there.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:25 am

Jimmy wallhanger wrote:Im rethinking scouting the swamp where I hunt in the winter time. Im worried about taking a step and sinking.....

To be honest sometimes swamps are more dangerous in winter. When things aren't frozen you can walk slow and test each step when things get deep. In the winter there are soft spots in the ice, some from swamps decomposing matter that will create warm spots. Other times you have to watch out for beavers too, they will keep some holes open and there can be thin ice. Even some swamp currents will also create thin ice. Now don't get me wrong these can depend on your area but I have broken through in more dangerous incidents in winter than I ever have during the fall. One time it was 20 below and woosh up to my armpits in water. Kept moving after that and warmed up but it could have been much worse had I not caught myself because I never touched bottom. With that said 99% of the time you will be fine, I am just a little more leary around deeper water swamps because things can go wrong in a hurry.
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:05 am

I would say don't get in above your head. If you are new to being in swamps or navigating the wilderness then start slowly. The last thing an unexperienced person needs to do is get turned around and freak out. Slowly go further and further in until you are confident enough that if you do get turned around or lost you simply laugh about it and figure it out. If you do get truly lost after dark then accept it and sleep out there.

In FL you are never truly lost as if you walk the same direction long enough you will eventually hit a road. Just use your compass, pick a direction, and go.

Here in FL the true dangers are snakes and alligators. Its always a little bit creepy seeing a gator when your wading through a flooded cypress marsh. Be confident in what you do, don't act like prey and gators will not bother you IME. Snakes are the ones who will get you. I ALWAYS wear snake boots. Biggest near miss for me was falling into a hole that put my thigh at eye level with a cottonmouth that was mere inches from me. That was scary.

In the end don't go into a situation you are not mentally prepared to accept. Carry a compass and a lighter. Always wear snake boots in snake country and be mindful of alligators,
druski
Facebook: no on facbook

Unread postby druski » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:20 pm

-LIVE 360 sounds to be a good tool to use within your phone
-Back up external phone batteries *caution / reminder that frigid temps kills batteries fast I keep one in my hand muzzle when needed, along with my phone
-Don't rely solely on digital compass (if you have one make sure it's calibrated)
-I know when some go to Canada and venture out-at least in Ontario-the OPP can be contacted with coordinates as a precaution with details on when you plan on leaving.
-SPOT GPS is also another option
-I have found just using a solid walking stick and using that similar to a ice fishing spud, poking in multiple areas prior to vet the spot prior to stepping
-We talk a lot about being selfless and common courtesy within the hunting community and that should not be limited to what you shoot and certainly should begin with providing just that to those who rely on us returning home and being in their life.
-Balance and reasonable expectations
-Don't misconstrue plans with planning.....be sure you take time for planning.
-Effectiveness is usually in fairly simple forms.

Thoughts that come to my mind shooting from the hip with the intention of not being redundant with prior posts-great thread and info

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”