How many 125"+ bucks have you called in and killed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

How many 125"+ bucks have you called in and killed?

49%
29%
11%
10%
4-5
No votes
6-9
1%
playa status
No votes

Total votes: 82
Jackson Marsh

Re: How many 125"+ bucks have you called in and killed?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:56 pm

Great stuff AB!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

James
ProStaff

Unread postby James » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:16 pm

This guy came walking in aggressively right after a blind rattle sequence on Oct 24. I was sitting in a stand of mixed Maples and White oaks on a very wide open contour where you can see hundreds of yards in both directions. You would never think it would make a good hunting spot but the way it contours and pinches deer along with a slope that conceals them from the field makes it one of my favorite kill trees. As the bruiser approached my general area and did not see the fight he heard he decided to take out his aggression on a nice 6" maple tree right in front of me. That's when I spoiled his fight with a perfectly placed arrow.

Here is another from the same kill tree. I had rattled about a minute before this guy showed up so it wasn't as immediate and he was then pushing two does, but as the does went straight up to the field, he came over to check out my area and also was met with a Muzzy Phantom.

Finally, this guy I watched in a picked corn field for a good 20-30 minutes. I finally pulled out the grunt tube and gave him a couple. He popped his head up from feeding, twitched his ears, and came in on a string.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
My YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/jamessqr
My hunting journal and blog - http://www.james-squires.com
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:48 pm

TTT

See if any more deer were added to the pile from using a call
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:05 pm

I voted two. I grunted in the buck below in 2012. He was skirting me and I grunted, doe bleat canned, and snort wheezed and it didn't bring him in. Right before he hit my wind I figured I had nothing to lose and I gave him a couple loud, deep, aggressive hail mary grunts. He 180'd and I shot him at 8 yards.

I rattled in a SLOB out west for my buddy's Dad when I was tagged out one year. He was a 150-160's 9 point. HUGE buck. When I told him to shoot he couldn't find him in the scope and he ended up getting away :whistle: that one still hurts ;)

So one technically didn't die... but he was dead to rights at 125 yards while we were laying prone on a hill. Rifle hunting. My 2010 MN buck was grunted in but he was busted up and would be a little shy of the 125" criteria.

2011 MN buck was a three year old that I decoyed. He was busted up too and probably just shy of 125" if he had both sides. He was a solid buck though... dressed out 190 lbs.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:27 pm

I've killed 7 but never called any in
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:46 pm

Lockdown wrote:I voted two. I grunted in the buck below in 2012. He was skirting me and I grunted, doe bleat canned, and snort wheezed and it didn't bring him in. Right before he hit my wind I figured I had nothing to lose and I gave him a couple loud, deep, aggressive hail mary grunts. He 180'd and I shot him at 8 yards.

I rattled in a SLOB out west for my buddy's Dad when I was tagged out one year. He was a 150-160's 9 point. HUGE buck. When I told him to shoot he couldn't find him in the scope and he ended up getting away :whistle: that one still hurts ;)

So one technically didn't die... but he was dead to rights at 125 yards while we were laying prone on a hill. Rifle hunting. My 2010 MN buck was grunted in but he was busted up and would be a little shy of the 125" criteria.

2011 MN buck was a three year old that I decoyed. He was busted up too and probably just shy of 125" if he had both sides. He was a solid buck though... dressed out 190 lbs.

Thats awesome that some loud aggressive grunts made the difference.
AHB2017

Unread postby AHB2017 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:47 pm

I only have 1 under my belt, and another that wasn't recovered, but neither were with rattling, both were grunted or snort wheezed in.
I hunted the inside corner of a cut cornfield a few years back. I was in flat farmland, and the woodlot I was hunting was rectangular, about 80 acres, running longwise N/S, with the thickest cover being in the south side. I figured the south side would be a good spot for does to be bedded. This woodlot was separated by a lane that was used by the farmers to get farm equipment in and out, but was rarely used. On the other side of the lane was another strip of timber about 40-50 yards wide that ran E/W, forming an L with the larger woodlot. It was November 6th and my thoughts were on a N wind, I would catch a buck cruising the south side of the woodlot scent checking for does. I snuck in to the stand, not seeing any action until 430. It was dry and the woodlot was super thick on the edges, very difficult to see inside it, but I could hear a deer moving around. It was on a steady march working the edge like I had thought coming right for me. The deer had passed me before he hit an opening that I could see in. He was about 70 yards away now moving away from me. I grabbed my grunt call and let out 2 long, deep, growling grunts. The leaf noise stopped, and I waited a few minutes, and let out another one (While doing this, I tend to point the grunt call away from the buck that I am trying to call in. I know a deer has a great ability to locate the exact spot a noise is coming from, so I feel like if I can grunt and make it sound like it's further away than it actually is or even just 10-20 yards away from where I'm at simply by turning my head away from the deer when calling, it helps to take the bucks focus off my area when approaching). The leaves started crunching again, and the next glimpse I caught of him showed he was heading in my direction. He came out into the tractor lane, angrily worked up a licking branch and pawed the ground, before turning his attention into the cut cornfield where he thought the noise had came from. He worked past me and offered me a 15 yard broadside shot. My shot was true, and an hour later I was standing over a 130'' 10 point with some kickers off his base, and a 250+ lb body. I tried to post pics of the buck, one of which he was cruising past one of my cameras about 15 minutes before I shot him, and the other was later that night after we got him to the truck. Largest bodied buck Ive ever shot.... until...

Image[/URL]Image[/URL]

The next year, I was hunting in a different area on a farm that is basically a grown up cow pasture. There are some scattered oaks on the property, but to look at this property on a map, you would never think deer were here. For some reason, the farm sets up as an excellent rut farm, and due to the cover on it, bucks seem to feel comfortable traveling through it. I hunted a few days in mid October, pretty much in observation stands. the farm is in the shape of V basically, with 3 ridges separating it almost like how a cut pie would look. With the openness of the ground as well the elevation change, a good observation stand can provide you with at least 300-400 yards of ground you can cover with your eyes, all of which has pretty decent vegetative cover and browse. It's a very good place to spot a rutting buck, traveling and looking for does.
During my october sit, I was in an observation stand on the East side of the property and at daybreak, caught movement on the middle ridge of 2 bucks, one probably a 2 year old, and the other being about 140'' 10 point that I recognized from trail cam pictures. Where he was at, I had somewhat overlooked due to it being closest to the barn and in fairly open ground. After climbing down, I went out and investigated. One of the trees in the fence line had fallen down and pinned the fence down making a crossing. This was the only real spot on that property that would provide decent access for bucks moving E to W. Otherwise they would have to move into the timber to the south of the property and work their way around a thick hillside, which I didn't have permission to hunt. The next day I sat on the west side of the property and again caught movement of 2 different bucks working that middle ridge. I had to leave that night, but had plans of being back in November for the rut.
When arriving in November, it was calling for a NE wind for the next 2 days, which basically was awful for every stand location I had picked out. But if I could get high enough in a tree, I think I could make that middle ridge work on a NE wind, so I walked out that way and prepared a tree, hung the stand, and planned on being back in the morning. I left the truck well before daylight the next morning, and sat through a strong rain storm until it started breaking day. With the rind and the rain, I was in the stand at times wondering what the I was even doing out there, but I stuck it out due to only having a limited time to hunt. Shortly after day break, I caught a young 9 point moving parallel to the trail I came in on about 70 yards below me. He worked his way into the timber without incident. About an hour later, I saw another young 8 point across the farm to the west. He was working his way down into that drainage. After moving around down there for a few minutes, he busted out 2 does that were bedded down there and began giving the one a pretty good chase. She dove into the timber on the property to the south and he followed. 5 minutes later he reappeared, tail tucked, walking slowly back the way he came, which to me meant he just got his whooped. Sure enough, one of the mature bucks we had pictures of followed him out of the timber up the other side of the drainage and watched, making sure the buck was leaving. This is the biggest bodied buck I've ever seen. Coming out of the timber, he looked like an angus steer, not a deer. I took out my grunt call, and did a very similar sequence to the calling I did on the buck the previous year, but he seemed to have no interest in this. He was on the other side of the draw, and the tree tops made it difficult to see his exact reaction, but I knew he wasn't moving, so the last thing I thought I'd try would be a snort wheeze, followed by a few growling grunts, and then leave it alone. I did this and caught movement of him working his way up the drainage, but then lost him in the tree tops. Again, with his movement, I thought he wasn't interested, but I was wrong. Little did I know, he had worked his way all the way up the drainage, crossed up to the fencerow I had walked in on and was hunting, and followed the fence row toward my stand. Noise behind me caught my attention about 10-15 minutes later, which revealed him at 30 yards behind me on a steady walk toward that gap in the fence created by the downed tree. After a rushed shot due to him smelling my ground scent and getting a bit nervous, it resulted in a high shoulder hit. After a failed stalk after seeing him bedded, and a 2 day search, I came home empty handed sick to my stomach. I have hopes he will show up again this year, but nothing so far. The buck has been a frequent visitor on this property for the last 2 years, showing up in summer and staying until mid november. I will try to include a pic of him, as well as the blood I found in the bed that he was in for about 1.5 hours that day, before I jumped him trying to get another arrow in him. I don't see how this could be a lethal hit, but maybe infection got him, maybe he's just fine, and is now just avoiding this property. I am not sure, but no closure makes this one tough to swallow.

Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

Long winded stories of both, but I am pretty proud of both hunts, and being able to work a deer close to me, even though the second hunt is one that will stick with me forever.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:44 pm

I've got three that came into calling. The first in 2012 came into light rattling and a few tending grunts.

In 2013 I saw a buck cruising below me, first grunt stopped him. Second grunt brought him up the hill for a 22 yard shot.

In 2017 I had a spike buck cut my track, he started stomping and then blew. I immediately snort-wheezed at him, he ran and then blew again, and I snort-wheezed again. The spike ran off. Within a minute or so an eight pointer came out of bedding, walked down the him and I killed him.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:18 am

I've killed and called in several deer, but it is a risky thing to do if wind and your setup isn't right. For me to call I have to have a very good back stop. Meaning a good size means of water just down wind so they cant get behind you. I will also call if I'm in a thin draw with open field down wind cause a buck will come down wind right along the edge instead of circling way down wind. I only call if i see a buck and he isn't headed for me. I will only hit the grunt once or twice if he isn't interested I'll crack the antlers together a few times, when he looks I will stop cause hes either going to come or not and continuing to call will just tune him in exactly were you are and that's bad if he decides to come in. To me blind calling is just setting yourself up for getting busted.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:49 am

Few years back in early November I rattled in a good 10 pt. He came running the crick bottom in about 70 yards below me. I grunted and he ran up the hill stopped at 10 yards. Took the shot, hit a branch and the deer bounded off. Fortunately he stopped at 30 yards and I was able to put a fatal shot on him with the second arrow.

Ended up scoring right at 125
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:06 am

I've rattled/grunted in, and killed, 7 or 8 deer in the 125 to 165 range. Have rattled in and passed dozens in the 125 to 150 range. That being said, the past few years I've had some poor luck calling deer.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:48 pm

I'm a "bushwhacker". I set up over trails/travel corridors. I rarely call. I've only called in two little bucks that I did not shoot. Lots of people like to get aggressive in calling, more power to them, not for me.
America works when Americans work.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:15 pm

Possibly snort wheezed my first mountain buck in 2009. He was an old dude closer to 100, but 125 is kindof a ridululous benchmark around these parts. First time I'd ever tried it, desperation move, did it blind with 10 minutes left in bow season and he came in 5 minutes later. He may have just been rut cruising though, hard to say. I still hardly ever call and only called immature bucks in since.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Zero for me. I hit the grunt tube here and there in pre-rut, but really only get 1.5 and 2.5 yr olds to come in carelessly.

I can only recall one time when I had a 3.5 yr old (100" buck in PA) come in to a grunt call. It worked too well because I was on the ground and he came charging towards me 5yds from the side I had no cover. He stared me down for a bit with a crazed look in his eyes at first, then realized what I was and bolted. It happened so quickly and unexpectedly I had no time to draw. This was my all time favorite encounter I have had in the woods. Hitting the grunt tube near one of his beds in pre-rut before he was with any ladies really got him fired up. This particular buck had a very aggressive personality towards other deer, as I had another encounter with him that year to see it first hand. I actually witnessed him grunting and pushing a button buck out of his bedding area on opening morning of the same year, but unfortunately I did not have my grunt call with me that early in the season (now I always carry it just in case). I don't know what ever happened to this buck, in a handful of encounters I had in one season hunting near his creek bottom bedding area, he was either one step ahead of me or about to run me over.

Some of the largest bucks I have ever encountered in the woods have been locked on does, and in that case you might as well shove your grunt call cuz it aint gonna work. I don't carry a doe bleat or anything to rattle.

I would bet for every one buck you see blind calling, two more quietly move downwind of the noise to investigate and we never see them. My personal opinion of calling is that the risk outweighs the reward, as it is a disadvantage to give a buck a reason to get downwind of me. All this coming from a guy who has never shot a 125" buck :lol:
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:29 pm

I rattled in a 181” back in the 2011 rifle season. Rattled several smaller bucks and possibly one that was 125” that I passed. IMO the best time to get a large and old enough buck to react to calls is late rut/November when hot does really start to thin down. Big contributing factor is there has to be multiple bucks of similar caliber roaming the same area. Got to have a competitive age structure in the herd you’re hunting.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”