Hunting River Bottoms

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fishlips
500 Club

Hunting River Bottoms

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:10 am

Some of the public properties close to where I live are predominantly river bottom...or I should say the places I expect deer to be within these properties is in the river bottom. How do you hunt/scout these in comparison to a marsh? The reason I am asking is that they seem to be much tougher to scout using the normal aerial map that I can use for the marsh. What do you guys look for? I just feel when I look at an aerial, I just see a lot of endless trees and brush with very few spots that really jump out at you right away.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Hunting River Bottoms

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:18 am

I have river bottoms to but no method to narrow things down. Well 2 things come to mind from other posts. Edge Transitions and elevation changes. But putting a effective plan together to scout the good areas escapes me. Anyone else have river bottom blues?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:40 am

I have the river bottom blues too. I have never been successful in river bottom but when i hunt there i use hip boots to get to the tougher access spots.

Some of that stuff though is all accessible pretty easily. Its just big enough and low enough pressure that there are big ones in there and I have no idea how to hunt them.

Even the islands and other stuff you need a boat to get to seem to get very evenly spread pressure. I would like to hunt the river bottom more but just never feel like i have a good enough plan to hunt it well.

I have done some scouting in the river bottoms with snow on the ground. All the tracks indicated a hot bedding area with lots of doe tracks and even some suspected big buck tracks on a small maybe 5 acre sandbar that was thick with (either willows or dogwood i can't remember) It was thick brush on that sandbar. I was not about to trust river ice and chickened out (still don't regret that)
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:41 am

Is it all flat land or hills nearby? In my minimal experience, I've never had luck seeing deer down low on creeks in hills. I always get busted by swirling wind unless I can get up on a hillside and still watch the creek. I can think back to anytime I hunted the bottoms in hills on a creek or ditch and saw deer. They were always busting out due to my scent swirling. I've recently been hunting some bottom land next to the big river. The hills are far away and it's all flat except for a few small rises. I've noticed deer bedding on very sharp creek bends out toward the point with water almost 360 degrees around. I haven't been able to confirm young or mature bucks though.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:45 am

If I hit a deer finding it will be virtually impossible due to so much standing water. But I agree about some deer are big enough to keep me trying. If a year or two turns up nothing ill move on.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:53 am

I guess I am thinking of some of the stuff that is in the Lower Wisconsin River unit if any of you WI guys know what I am talking about. I was down in the Arena / Spring Green area for a canoe trip this summer and from what I saw, a lot of the spots looked like they had potential, but looked to be super thick in some areas.

Most of the river bottom I am talking about has hills within a few miles, but does not but right up to it.

Some of the spots though I have been able to aerial scout like a marsh, but this seems to be the exception. Maybe deer don't use it that much, but it looks like good terrain for holding deer.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:06 am

fishlips wrote:I guess I am thinking of some of the stuff that is in the Lower Wisconsin River unit if any of you WI guys know what I am talking about. I was down in the Arena / Spring Green area for a canoe trip this summer and from what I saw, a lot of the spots looked like they had potential, but looked to be super thick in some areas.

Most of the river bottom I am talking about has hills within a few miles, but does not but right up to it.

Some of the spots though I have been able to aerial scout like a marsh, but this seems to be the exception. Maybe deer don't use it that much, but it looks like good terrain for holding deer.

I know a lot of that country well. The most consistent pattern is to find the way they navigate around around and bed with relation to the large oxbow ponds and backwaters. Also, important to identify any oak islands or small increases in elevation. In the absence of oaks, the pattern is simple. Big river on one side. Big ag on the other side. Deer in the middle. Daytime bucks follow the river during the rut.

Now is a great time to scout it!

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:07 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
fishlips wrote:I guess I am thinking of some of the stuff that is in the Lower Wisconsin River unit if any of you WI guys know what I am talking about. I was down in the Arena / Spring Green area for a canoe trip this summer and from what I saw, a lot of the spots looked like they had potential, but looked to be super thick in some areas.

I know a lot of that country well. The most consistent pattern is to find the way they navigate around around and bed with relation to the large oxbow ponds and backwaters. Also, important to identify any oak islands or small increases in elevation. In the absence of oaks, the pattern is simple. Big river on one side. Big ag on the other side. Deer in the middle. Daytime bucks follow the river during the rut and it hunts relatively easy due to the number of pinches created by the backwaters.

fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:10 am

So a topo may be a more valuable tool than the aerial? I guess that assumes that the topo would be in detailed enough increments that you could pick out the higher spots.

Sounds like more than anything, I need to just dive in and start looking. Can't wait to start scouting these areas.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:11 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:

I know a lot of that country well. The most consistent pattern is to find the way they navigate around around and bed with relation to the large oxbow ponds and backwaters. Also, important to identify any oak islands or small increases in elevation. In the absence of oaks, the pattern is simple. Big river on one side. Big ag on the other side. Deer in the middle. Daytime bucks follow the river during the rut.

And that pretty much sums up what I am looking at. There is a lot of it down by the WI river, so I figure I am limiting myself by not trying to figure out how to hunt it.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:17 am

fishlips wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

And that pretty much sums up what I am looking at. There is a lot of it down by the WI river, so I figure I am limiting myself by not trying to figure out how to hunt it.

A little tip on hunting pressure...the south side of the river receives a lot more pressure than the north side of the rivet between Spring Green and Sauk City.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:07 am

Check the on-line GIS mapping applications for the counties in question. Most in WI have at least 5' contours that are much much better than the USGS maps. Some even have one-foot data.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:11 am

Kraftd wrote:Check the on-line GIS mapping applications for the counties in question. Most in WI have at least 5' contours that are much much better than the USGS maps. Some even have one-foot data.

Agreed. Good suggestion. Also, most also have black and white aerials from the early 2000s that show cover density better.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:20 am

Edge transitions, especially interior. High spots, low spots, river oxbows, and over looked areas.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Thought I would post on this one. I finally hunted one of these spots and thought I would share what I found.

Where we hunted the low ground was very open likely because it floods. as soon as we found oaks (higher ground) the terrain started to thicken up and the sign went up. Even then compared to a swamp it was pretty open.

The island I hunted was full of blowdowns and I checked a lot of them but no beds found.

I don't know if this is coincidence but the upstream end of the island was the high side and had the most sign. I will look out for that in the future even though it's a bear getting on the island being the bank is elevated.

There was one island I wish we could have pushed that was a thick willow tangle. looked awesome but we ran out of time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”