Rubs and beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
PredatorTC
ProStaff

Rubs and beds

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:21 am

I know this is kinda an silly and simple question but

is there always gunna be rubs in a bucks bed?

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Rubs and beds

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:33 am

Predator,

That is a great question. I often pondered this same question for hours and hours and while looking at different beds over the winter. In my opinion, there are no absolutes to big bucks and their beds. I look more for tracks and rubs in the general "vicinity" of the bed. For example, the trails he uses to enter and exit a definitive bedding spot typically has a rub or two in the area. However, a lot of the buck beds I have found have that characteristic rub right near the actual bedding spot!! This could be explained for how much he actually uses a certain bed...If you find a bedding spot that only gets used in obscure winds, I don't think your going to find as much sign as a bed he uses more often. Anyhow, just my personal findings
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:19 am

I think thats a good question too. Last spring I found a bucks bed but no rubs in the bed itself. However a trail that he used to get to that bed about 50 yards away from the bed there were 2 rubs. And this fall he has 3 rubs on that same trail as last year plus a scrape but now its about 100 yards from his bed instead of 50. But it goes back to following that trail which lead me to his bed. I would think he would use this bed with a Southwest or West wind at his back. Also, he can watch us walk in on our 4-wheeler trail.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:18 pm

Buck beds don't always have rubs... But beds with rubs in them are always buck beds...
I am starting to think that the beds that get marked at the bed are marked with a rub as a dominant trait of claiming that spot. Not positive though...
The thing thats tricky with buck beds is having the confidence to understand that mature bucks don't leave much sign in most cases. A few big rubs if any. But say you got a two year old or an aggressive 3 1/2 Y/O buck, they might rub every tree in sight and lay scrapes all over... To the average hunter he will skip over the spot without much sign and hunt the spots with younger / smaller bucks because of sign...
Remember though, that both a 2 1/2 year old, and a older buck can be using the same bed on different days, or different beds at the same location...
It really comes down to reading sign well, instead of looking for lots of it, understanding what the sign you do have means...
I would much rather have a huge bed worn to the dirt with just real big tracks, than a bed that has rublines going in every direction...
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:47 pm

I know in my scouting I,ll be walking into an area thinking "Man this is starting too look pretty good " And about 1 out of 3 times I,ll jump a deer .Walk over hoping to find a nice rub in that bed .And proably 75 % of the time I,m finding rubs right in the bed.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:22 pm

I really don't think there is a silly question when it comes to mature whitetails. I love to read what each different person finds out about learning the moves and and how a mature whitetail uses the terrain around them.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:22 am

Bump.

I know we cover this topic every once in a while, but it is a super important detail IMO. location of rubs AND ALSO AMOUNT OF SIGN near buck beds varies greatly. A lot of that has to do with availability of preferred rubbing and scraping trees.

I still don't know how often The Hulk used the bedding where I killed him, but I feel it was pretty infrequent. That may be a big reason for the lack of buck sign there. I figured he had to bed there once in a while due to lack of cover in the area. There was also a lack of rubbing and scraping trees, therefore the opportunity to leave sign other than tracks and big beds was extremely minimal. All that was there was the basketball sized scrape he worked right before I pulled the trigger.

The two rubs I figured were his were 400-500 yards away from where I killed him.

I would say 30-40% of my good buck beds have rubs in them. Also, most have only a FEW rubs nearby or in a rub line. The main reason for this is low competition for these beds (pretty random in flat farm country, lack of 3.5+ yr old bucks in my area, and a very out of whack buck to doe ratio).

In my better age structure areas, and in areas with lots of good rubbing trees, I see more sign. There's is a pretty direct correlation.

I'm finding that the classic bedding terrain locations coupled with hunter sign have been been the biggest constants on figuring out which bedding holds the top end bucks in my area.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:14 am

I always think of the golden rule of bedding. Best bedding=best bucks. Kind of oversimplifying it but still a good thing to keep in the back of my mind. Best bedding definitely changes throughout the season.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:43 am

"...reading the sign well." This to me is the hardest part. Being able to determine when the bed is likely to get used. Especially in flat farm country. But really anywhere is tough for me..particularly when I am not seeing the buck actually using the bed(s).
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:09 am

mheichelbech wrote:"...reading the sign well." This to me is the hardest part. Being able to determine when the bed is likely to get used. Especially in flat farm country. But really anywhere is tough for me..particularly when I am not seeing the buck actually using the bed(s).

That's a great point... and most guys can't afford enough trail cams to cover all of the areas they intend to hunt. An observation stand may help when used with your best guess on when he's there. Another option I use is to examine funnels very carefully near the buck bedding. I'm looking for a big, oversized track and when I find it the buck is likely holed up in the best bedding area you have scouted. Funnels suck as creek crossings, saddles, fence crossings in farm country, etc.

In truth, it doesn't have to be complicated. If there are dirt roads in the area that surround the bedding, even picking up an oversized track on the road can indicate that buck may be using the best bedding you have found.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:42 am

No, but findng them w the correct ingredients tell me primary bedding. I see it more when a buck beds w an obstacle in front, he can see a rub somewhere instead of it being in the bed. The Rut bed rubs iv found seem to be lower to the ground, no matter the diameter. Understanding the sign the best you can is all you can do, until something tells you otherwise. Variables matter though:
Minimal competition?
Do you know the property well and not finding big ones?
Have you seen bucks come from here?
Is there anything around he would want to rub on?
Is the rubbing noticeable?
Is this an early season bed?
Late season pressure bed?

Maybe I'm way off idk... when it comes to just starting I say not to worry about that unless you're having issues. Or if it's all new territory.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:48 am

I've seen doe bedding areas with rubs at the base of the tree they bed against. Only way to tell is there was multiple beds...
Trust the Process
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:25 pm

Twenty Up wrote:I've seen doe bedding areas with rubs at the base of the tree they bed against. Only way to tell is there was multiple beds...

Do you think bucks bedded there too in the rut or not? I see that quite a bit around here...does bed in an area year round and then bucks do only during the first two weeks of November or so. Rubs show up in and around beds that time of year, but no early season rubs.

Guys should keep that in mind too when looking at rubs...in the fall its easy to tell about when a rub was made, but even in the spring you generally can tell the difference between an early season rub made Sept/early Oct or one made in November. That can tell you when the bed may be used most frequently. Early season rubs usually look a lot drier, sometimes mildewy.

This is a good topic...I used to think bucks almost always rub next to thier beds. Now I think almost all younger bucks will do that but there are a lot of older bucks that do not. Many of the oldest bucks I have followed seem to do very little rubbing and scraping including where they bed. Occasionally I find a mature buck that tears an area up, but most of the time those big amounts of sign in core areas are from 2 and 3 year olds.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:36 pm

JoeRE wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:I've seen doe bedding areas with rubs at the base of the tree they bed against. Only way to tell is there was multiple beds...

Do you think bucks bedded there too in the rut or not? I see that quite a bit around here...does bed in an area year round and then bucks do only during the first two weeks of November or so. Rubs show up in and around beds that time of year, but no early season rubs.

Guys should keep that in mind too when looking at rubs...in the fall its easy to tell about when a rub was made, but even in the spring you generally can tell the difference between an early season rub made Sept/early Oct or one made in November. That can tell you when the bed may be used most frequently. Early season rubs usually look a lot drier, sometimes mildewy.

This is a good topic...I used to think bucks almost always rub next to thier beds. Now I think almost all younger bucks will do that but there are a lot of older bucks that do not. Many of the oldest bucks I have followed seem to do very little rubbing and scraping including where they bed. Occasionally I find a mature buck that tears an area up, but most of the time those big amounts of sign in core areas are from 2 and 3 year olds.

100% agree with this

Also, the biggest rubs I have ever found IN a bed were the size of a baseball bat. And that's after 2 springs of scouting religiously. The vast majority of rubs in beds that I see are broom handle sized. I think the closest I've ever found a huge diameter rub near suspected bedding was 80-100 yards away.

One thing a guy needs to keep in mind is that the really early season big bucks will rub small stuff down low. I know Dewey mentioned that that led him to a buck kill in the past. This year the wide ten on David's property had a half dozen small saplings rubbed nearby and he was 17-18" wide. Those rubs were made in September.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:08 pm

JoeRE- Yes it was probably a rut bed based on how fresh the rubs were for later in the year and being so close to the does.

Lockdown- Also agree from what I've seen. Beds seemed to have no rubs or gentle and lower to the ground rubs. Rut beds are still low to the ground but seem to be a lot more aggressive and deeper gouges but every buck is different so keep that in mind.
Trust the Process

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”