getting busted when leaving the stand ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dreaming bucks

getting busted when leaving the stand ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:57 am

I was recently talking with a buddy about how I hate coming out of the woods at night into a field when there are deer out in that field.. I said I hate educating those deer of where I was, & that I'm sure they remember that... well, he proceeded to tell me that he has heard of guys that will bark like a dog (hound) to make the deer feel like you are a dog, & not a human.. this way the deer might not take it so bad if there is a dog running them off, vs a human ? Not sure what to think of this technique, any thoughts ? Does this sound crazy ?

Dewey

Re: getting busted when leaving the stand ?

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:22 am

As long has they don't wind you as you leave your stand it would probably work but they will eventually come across your scent and figure you out anyway. That's why I rarely hunt the same spot more than once in a season to keep everything fresh each time.
I am amazed that everytime I set out a camera I usually get at least one picture the first few days of a deer actually smelling the camera!! They are curious and have an uncanny ability to figure you out.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:31 am

I have to agree with dewey, the barking thing might actually work but they are going to smell your trail later that night or the next day and figure things out.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:42 am

headgear wrote:I have to agree with dewey, the barking thing might actually work but they are going to smell your trail later that night or the next day and figure things out.

X2

It is really tuff to fool a whitetail!!
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:56 am

headgear wrote:I have to agree with dewey, the barking thing might actually work but they are going to smell your trail later that night or the next day and figure things out.

X3
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:08 am

By "smelling my trail", are you saying they will smell the foot tracks themselves, or getting my scent that's just floating in the air ?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:34 am

dreaming bucks wrote:By "smelling my trail", are you saying they will smell the foot tracks themselves, or getting my scent that's just floating in the air ?

They will smell your ground scent... The scent molecules that come off of you and stick to the vegetation where you walked...
I also don't think they would care much for barking dogs... I suspect they might even hate dogs more than people.
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:39 am

You want to see does and dawns scatter, use a grunt tube this time of year. I do it still and did years ago to clear out a clover field I use to have to walk across.

I would clear that field, walk to my truck and while undressing, see my flash camera go off in that very same clover field.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:45 am

If possible take a longer way out or have someone drive into the field to pick you up.... it will only take a time or two walking through the deer to drastically reduce successful hunts. If trying to shoot mature deer... exit is as important as entrance in my opinion. I'm also on board with Dewey... I don't like hunting the same stand spot more than once anymore... in most spots unless access in unique that you can keep it fresh = walking a creek/ditch in... 1st time is the best time for seeing a shooter IMO
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:37 am

If you want to hunt a spot more than once, would it not make sense to take the long way out so you don't have to blow the field out? Just a thought. I rarely hunt the same spot twice so its usually not a concern.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:53 am

Bump.

Good topic for discussion!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:07 am

If I hunt an area like this, I plan an alternate route as to not "bust them" out of the field. Preferably a route that isn't cross their travel trails. This should also be your route into your stand. Walking across a field that deer will be feeding in during your hunt, doesn't sound like a great plan. The more they know you've been there the lesser your possibility of shooting a mature buck is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:27 am

I have tried howling like a coyote, barking, rabbit in distress...it works sometimes but often makes things worse because the deer just circle down wind and then know exactly what is going in. I agree the ones that run off probably come back and scent check things later to see what was going on.

Anymore, either I just climb down and leave if I don't think I am coming back that year (which is usually the case) or if I do plan on returning I will stay in that tree however long it takes. Have set for 2 hrs in the dark before. That is usually long enough for even a bedded deer nearby to get up and move.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:35 am

What we do on the properties we hunt is if someone has deer near the stand is someone else comes up the stand access trail grunting or howling like a coyote or wolf. Seems to work ok.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:42 am

If we are on the farm where trucks and tractors are the norm for them. We will drive back into the stand and pick up the hunter. It's not perfect but if we are forced to hunt a stand multiple times in a couple of weeks that is how we play that game. In public I've learned it isn't gonna matter they are going to figure you out. I have sat hours past dark trying not spook deer in my area, but I never seem to have any luck going back into that stand area, but moving 100 yards I can have success. Now I have enough areas I can move a mile and go back in a month or two later depending on when I'm sitting
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”