Buck beds and the wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
hunter10
500 Club

Buck beds and the wind

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:12 am

I am learning alot from this site and beast mode and have a couple questions.

Once you find a buck bed (usually alone, compared to multiple beds resulting in doe bedding) how do you specifically determine his entry, exit and preffered bedding wind. I understand the like to bed with something blocking their back, wind blowing from behind and using their eye sight to cover out front.

Now how do you know how he got there and where he is leaving to, and knowing when the timing is right to setup on him? do you assume if he beds there on a S wind that any time you get a S wind is the best time to try that first time sit near that bed?

cbay
500 Club

Re: Buck beds and the wind

Unread postby cbay » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:21 am

hunter10 wrote:I am learning alot from this site and beast mode and have a couple questions.
Now how do you know how he got there and where he is leaving to, and knowing when the timing is right to setup on him? do you assume if he beds there on a S wind that any time you get a S wind is the best time to try that first time sit near that bed?

You'll get some better feedback on this, but tracks if you can see them depending on the terrain, rubs are a good indication, and knowing where the food sources are in the area.
Around here (wooded hills), there can be a lot of different ways a deer can travel. Bucks often travel along transitions of cover such as cedars bordering timber and brush along ridges.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:22 pm

I kicked up a buck yesterday and saw him only 40 yds and found his bed. Nothing told me it was a buck bed except I jumped him and assume it was his bed. Today , about 1 mi. away I took a short cut to the car but it was a nasty old tangle. There was nothing that told me it was a buck bed except it stunk like a very sour old musky smell. The only thing I can see is it is a buck bed. There were trails coming and going from several directions so hard telling what way he is going to exit. The only thing you can do is make sure you are down wind from that old boy or you won't see him. This buck winded me long before I found the bed. It was the first time I had been in that area. Also found an old 5point buck skull . Been dead for several yrs. I will never be a beast hunter but If I find a bed I will remember it and may set up next year in case he is using the same bed. They do use the same beds year after year , don't they?
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Yes they use the same beds year after year unless they get killed when usually another buck will take its place.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”