lock down...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

lock down...

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:23 pm

With all the rut talk and lack of activity in some areas and tons of it in other areas I'm curious everyone's strategy for the lock down phase of the rut. A lot of times our rifle season opens near this time and hunting can be very slow and tough. I still like to stay close to doe bedding to try and catch a buck in between does but just curious what others have had success doing during this time.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: lock down...

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:34 pm

Definitely lock down in southern WI. Every buck got a girl. I wish I would have taken a couple extra days the last week in October. It was prime time before Halloween.

I do the same. Stay close to the doe groups or corridors between and hope for the best. That is the plan for the next couple of days. :pray:

Last edited by BassBoysLLP on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:41 pm

Hasn't even started cranking by me yet. Typical though. We seem to always be a week later than Southern WI. Next week will be better..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Deer sightings have gone from hot and heavy a week ago to almost nothing the last two days.
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm seeing lock down signs in western WI. A lot of lone fawns being seen and hardly any bucks seen cruising anymore. There are a few does still running with fawns though so there's hope if you keep hunting those doe bedding areas to catch one in transition.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:52 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Definitely lock down in southern WI. Every buck got a girl. I wish I would have taken a couple extra days the last week in October. It was prime time before Halloween.

I do the same. Stay close to the doe groups or corridors between and hope for the best. That is the plan for the next couple of days. :pray:

Good luck Shawn. You have been at it and having some bad luck with idiots walking up and such. You deserve one man so wishing you good luck.

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:55 am

Last week everyone was seeing bucks cruising and the last few days no one is seeing deer. My cameras that text me photos have gone blank. I still think the best is yet to come here. I did see a buck dogging a doe yesterday morning but many others ive talked to are not seeing any action.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:59 am

Saw a buck chasing a doe mid day today in Johnson creek... They will hole up to breed, but then they are off to search for the next one.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:30 am

dan wrote:Saw a buck chasing a doe mid day today in Johnson creek... They will hole up to breed, but then they are off to search for the next one.

Yup action will pick up again in a few days. I had a great weekend a few years back on Nov 10-11-12 after everybody said they were locked down. Big boys will be searching again soon you can bet on it. Especially in these areas where the doe population is lower. Not the time to give up that's for sure.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:39 am

Changing weather and fronts moving in have started the deer on there feet again. I knew yesterday the way the woods lit up that today was the perfect storm brewing.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:51 am

Lockdown??? I think most of the members here killed all the big boys already. There aint none left to hunt this season. Thats why no one is seeing any :mrgreen:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:07 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Lockdown??? I think most of the members here killed all the big boys already. There aint none left to hunt this season. Thats why no one is seeing any :mrgreen:

X1.

That has also stopped their migration over to Mass :D
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:12 am

Does are still alone and in groups here in NW PA. Havent seen hard chasing or tending yet. Bucks cruising. Any day now...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:40 am

Isolated cover hunts..

I head back to old bedding areas in islands of cover, fingers out into fields, lone trees in standing crops, etc. You won't get the cruisers but you might encounter a giant bedded with a hot doe.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:46 am

Sometimes observing cover like this is the best plan of attack. However, some of the island type pieces of cover are too big and you must hang and hunt to see whats in there. I killed my recent KS buck with a similar tactic...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”