Please help me hunt this saddle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Please help me hunt this saddle

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:04 am

Hey guys. I have identified this saddle just west of the number 521 on the map. I live and hunt in primarily flat land and don't get to hunt hills very often. How would you hunt this spot? Access? Wind direction? Any other spots on this map you would key in on? Thanks guys.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jay

Re: Please help me hunt this saddle

Unread postby Jay » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:59 am

Do u have a boat or are you gonna be on foot the whole way? If u have a boat I would enter from the NW and just walk up the backside and jump in stand. If u are on foot I would enter the same way, but just walk around the head of the bay. I wouldn't worry about wind as much and just hunt high. 25' to 30'
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 am

I agree that most of my questions are about your entry. You could hunt it with any N or S wind really on the leeward side. Get high and above the thermal tunnel.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:44 am

Hunt the top of the saddle on a south wind, the bottom on a North... Access could be from below or right along the top of the ridge... Rutting bucks cruising will be following the leeward side hills so going across the top should not be to damaging.
Worm82

Unread postby Worm82 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:02 pm

I would also check out the another spot south of the magnifying glass just before the pink line that shows an old road going along the ridge. Check where the ridge narrows down. Looks like another saddle.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”