Broadheads- Preference Swhacker or Rage

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Broadheads- Preference Swhacker or Rage

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:23 am

Need to pick up a new pack. been using the 125 gr rage chisel tips with good results, but having a hard time finding the 125 grain ones. May try hypodermics, but also looking at Swhacker's, which look to be about $10 cheaper. Anyone have any input or preference for Swhackers over Rages? I have some Muzzy's to shoot up too, and bow is tuned and shoots them fine, just prefer the bigger cut and also a little more forgiveness for hand torque and the like in the heat of the moment. Prefer to stay at 125, as I'm shooting 72 pounds with a 31.5" draw length and getting lots of energy out of my set-up this way. Blows through most parts of a whitetail (not that I'm aiming for most parts...)

Beartown18
500 Club

Re: Broadheads- Preference Swhacker or Rage

Unread postby Beartown18 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:51 am

I have been shooting rage for a while now, my only complaint is they open in my quiver sometimes, but performance has been good for me.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Swhacker for me. Have had several issues with rage myself. Others really like them. Both will do the job but I just like the swhacker a little better

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:41 pm

I'm currently shooting the Rage Hypodermic in the 100 grain. I just haven't had the opportunity to test them out anything yet. It's been a slow season this year for me.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:51 pm

What's better a Pinto or a Chevette?

Just kidding I shoot rage and never had a problem.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:00 pm

I shoot 2 blade rage. I've killed 7 or 8 deer now and nothing made it over 100yds. All but one shot has been a pass through. Great blood trails on all but one where exit hole filed with fat. I haven't hit any major bones but imagine it wouldn't be good. I'm shooting 65-70lbs and 30" draw. I haven't used schwackers so I can't comment there but I have heard good things.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:07 pm

Shwacker for me... Rage blades break on ribs... every Shwacker head has been intact and re-usable with new blades or sharpening. I think I killed a dozen now with Shwackers

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Scout22

Unread postby Scout22 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Shot couple deer with rage. Did good job, but blades trashed out so bad that it gave me enough reason to switch to swhacker this season.
Shot a big bodied buck yesterday with swhacker, very happy with results and broad head blades did not bend and deform nearly as bad as the rages have on me.

20 yard shot, I could see blood on the ground from my tree stand without binos

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Hands down rage. Seen a few big ones get away even with decent shot. Also notice there pass threw isn't very good

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:53 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Interesting to here the issues with rage blades. I've shot a few now with rages and never had a blade not be reusable, including one with an original Rage 100 gr that I put through the onside shoulder blade and powdered the offside knee joint on on a quartering away shot. I don't like the point design on the original rages, but the chisel tips have treated me well. Can't find them in 125 right now, so probably give some Swhacker's a try, seem to be cheaper anyways.
cbniner

Unread postby cbniner » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:05 am

You need about a 1" slick trick for bucks, or you will cry yourself to sleep when you hit a 4 yr old in the shoulder with a rage

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”