where to sit on these windy days during the rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

flatlander8181

where to sit on these windy days during the rut

Unread postby flatlander8181 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:11 am

was out yesterday in the wind. Was sitting where there are good pockets of bedding and could see a good. seen nothing. kicked one up on the way out. Are the bucks cruising in the thicker pieces of woods out of the wind more on these days. gonna head back out soon.

whitetail_addict

Re: where to sit on these windy days during the rut

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:52 pm

I've seen good movement on windy days too. Once the rut is on the bucks really don't care what the weather is doing. They'll just do what the does do and I haven't really seen the wind speed alone change their movement patterns from one day the next.
KillYourTV

Unread postby KillYourTV » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Was out in a GORGEOUS spot today between a playground (dozens of fresh tacks in snow) and a cornfield. Wind was pretty steady at 12-15 MPH, gusting to 25. Saw a 2 yo doe at 35 yds (no clear shot), and a nice 8 pt buck at 75 yds with his head down, undistracted by my grunt/rattle/bleat.

I'd definitely say the wind was a factor. Third time this year I've been out in med/high winds, third time without a shot (other two were total no-shows)
[glow=LIME]Mathews Z7 Magnum
CE Maxima Red w/ Rage eXtreme
[/glow]
[glow=GREEN]Summit Viper XD
XOP Air Raid
XOP Sticks
[/glow]
[glow=LIME]Horton Storm RDX[/glow]
phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

Unread postby phishy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:39 pm

something i have noticed about the wind... it seems worse up in a tree than is does on the forest floor.... thats cause it is .

wildfire weather has two wind measurements.... a 20' and a head measurement (midlfame), the wind 20 ' up is stronger, less friction, the mid flame ( head mead measurement or 6') is typically 20%- 50% less.....

my point... its a lot winder up where your sitting in a tree vs the ground

keep in mind wind forecast on the tv are 20' winds

WI fire weather for Green Bay link:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/validProds.php?prod=FWF&node=KGRB
Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”