Afternoons in Hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Arkansan1

Afternoons in Hill country

Unread postby Arkansan1 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:03 pm

Without having any beds located. What is the best area to set up in the afternoons for cruisers. I seem to understand and have more success in mornings than afternoons in the hills. Thanks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Mario
ProStaff

Re: Afternoons in Hill country

Unread postby Mario » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:49 pm

One area where I hunt I have had success during the rut with bucks running the ridge lines all the way across the property. The points are spots where the ridges spill out into flatter ground or a short wood transition to a field. In hill country bucks Dan talks about the deer using the wind tunnel. I marked these points out on the maps below. The two white lines show where I have seen most chasing activity during the rut. There is next to no bedding on this property.

Most of my success on these have been between 9 AM and Noon

Arkansan1

Unread postby Arkansan1 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:05 pm

I have had success in the morning. Would this work in the afternoon near as well

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:37 pm

During the rut in the hills probably somewhere around 90 percent of the bucks i have killed have came from mornings to midday. The few I have taking in the evenings, I was close to their bedding areas. Set up near thickets and would catch one coming out but I really like the mid morning sits in the hills during this time of the year. Without having beds scouted out about all you can do is guess bedding. In the hills it will be on the points with the wind blowing down them most of the time. Check for fresh sign near the points as your going in to set up. Don't find any move on to the next point. Good thing about the rut is they could be anywhere at any time though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:01 am

Hello, yeah I would have to agree. Most of my evening kills on this property have been on the field edges coming out of bedding to a known food source. This has typically been in the first few weeks of the season. Last year when I sat this property during the rut I went 3 days and only saw the same fork horn buck. I moved around to various points on the ridge. But I know there is little to no bedding on the property so I really need to count on something moving through or doe moving into the area to better my chances. This year I have not hunted at all, and intent to head up this weekend. So hopefully the pressure from the neighboring properties pushes the deer my way. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”