Can a guy bounce around too much?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chasman

Can a guy bounce around too much?

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:44 am

I get some grief for hunting different places. And I am starting to rethink it a bit. Especially with the rut looming do any of you guys go on a rotation of proven spots? I don't have much private and I have not even sat it this year yet. My father in law hunts one stand, regardless of wind, all year. He hunts on some very good land, and has been for years. He usually shoots a 120" or bigger buck. Normally around this time of year when bucks start to move. I wonder if I should not head his advice and limit my number of spots? Any thoughts?

hunter10
500 Club

Re: Can a guy bounce around too much?

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:43 am

I used to have access to 15+ pieces of land and usually didnt get around to touching 5 of them. I felt i was spreading my self too thin and becuase of that, patterning or having a likeliness of killing certain deer became extra hard because i wasnt spending enough time on only a handfull of farms instead of rotating all of them. its like taking your best spot and hunting 1x per rut for example becuase you think the next big buck is at the other farm every time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:50 am

I guess it depends on your personal style of hunting, some guys prefer to hunt one or two chunks of land, other one stand and that is it, others like myself pound a lot of different ground. It's all up to you.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:57 am

I've been told I bounce around too much. But the fact is my experience shows that deer traffic slows down after a couple consecutive sits in an area. So I bounce around. I let time in stand and wind direction and scouting move me around.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:30 am

My best spots for rut with great entrance/exit will get hunted twice, usually. Everything else is one and done unless something special happens.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:37 am

If you have a great travel corridor and you are only hunting it a couple times during the Rut, I'd say you are selling yourself short. There are only so many of those spots on a given section of land. New deer that are traveling will come through everyday during primetime of the season; you have to be there to kill them provided the wind is good for the spot.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:38 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:If you have a great travel corridor and you are only hunting it a couple times during the Rut, I'd say you are selling yourself short. There are only so many of those spots on a given section of land. New deer that are traveling will come through everyday during primetime; you have to be there to kill them provided the wind is good.

Totally agree!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:52 am

sPREAD YOURSELF THIN AND HUNT LOTS OF SPOTS UNLESS YOU are onto a big buck , then bounce around his area till you connect.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:00 am

dan wrote:sPREAD YOURSELF THIN AND HUNT LOTS OF SPOTS UNLESS YOU are onto a big buck , then bounce around his area till you connect.

X2.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:56 pm

There is no such thing as too many spots or being too mobile, but I think you can bounce around too much if you don't have a solid strategy.

Keep a specific strategy through the season - for instance every week I mentally list the areas that should be the best for that week based on what I know, then start at the top and work my way down. If a spot will be better next week, wait till then to hunt it. If its the best now then hunt it now. In past years I have been guilty of just bouncing around without good enough reasons why.
phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

Unread postby phishy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:29 pm

are you hunting an area or spots?

difference being hunting the same acres of contiguous (or nearly so) of public land or are you traveling miles between each hunt??

in the long run I've found learning an area and the spots within that area is much more efficient for learning the seasonal movements....

in my hunting career i have only had privy of learning an area once, it took me 4 years to feel confident i could predict deer movements based on food and pressure

currently i am learning a new area and often making some second guesses, but i am learning the area and how other hunters are using it as well.

but with saying that ....being an aggressive mobile hunter has its pros and cons as well, you discovering new areas is a big positive
Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:36 pm

I bounce till I find em...once im on em ill tighten it up n manuver in.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:44 pm

I like to move around a lot. I don't think you can move too much, but you can move too little.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:39 pm

dan wrote:sPREAD YOURSELF THIN AND HUNT LOTS OF SPOTS UNLESS YOU are onto a big buck , then bounce around his area till you connect.

I was waiting for someone to say this...though I rarely hunt the same spot twice, I find myself bouncing around the same ridge system or circuit.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:49 am

I think you can bounce around too much. When I hunted in KS I would hunt a couple farms for a week, not see much and acquire new farms for the next year. I was bouncing around hoping to find that one farm that was covered in buck sign and big bucks, but it never happened. My wife pointed it out, said you move around so much you are always hunting new ground and never learn how to hunt any of it. I laughed, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Id hunt stands based on wind and pinch points, but not seeing a deer on a sit doesn't mean one wont come by the next day. During the rut deer are mobile and not on any real pattern, so jumping around trying to find a shooter can be hit and miss. I think your better off hunting the right spot a few times, versus jumping around hoping the right deer goes by that stand the day you decide to hunt it.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”