New Property questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
tmarbut

New Property questions

Unread postby tmarbut » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:23 am

Last week, I finally got access to this property after 5 years. I scouted it last weekend and found a great spot. However, I have gotten 'analysis-paralysis' about stand location, access, and bedding. I could not find a bed but have come up with what I think are two distinct bedding areas. I also found what is a really big rub for this area. I know the rub doesn't necessarily mean anything other than a good buck has been through there, but I am beginning to second guess where I should be focusing my stand locations.

-The cluster of points at the top left is where there is lots of sign around some white oaks.
-Potential bedding areas are due east and west of the cluster. The property is a 5 yr old cut over that is really thick.
-North access point is just above the building, and south access is a trail off the RR tracks.
-Also, the lake has since been drained and is now a thicket with a creek going behind it and a neighborhood on the west side.

I have the 3 basic questions:
1. Where would you say would be the best stand location?
2. What would be the best access point, from the road at the north or the RR line at the south?
3. Do you see a particular spot that looks like a good buck bed area?

This Beast Apprentice would appreciate any suggestions!

TM

Well, as usual I cannot get a pic to come through. Even followed Carol's step by step directions....ugh!

tmarbut

Re: New Property questions

Unread postby tmarbut » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:01 am

Photobucket worked! Help would really be appreciated....
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:31 pm

Man that's tough. Is there plenty of acorns dropping from the oaks? If so the best place to be will be on the edge of the thickest cover leading to the oaks.
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:14 pm

Just saw this. Thanks for the thoughts Jay.
Went in tonight, south of that area, and got busted by a spike underneath my stand. Entered from the south w/ a forecast west wind that actually ended up being a swirling NE wind.
Oh well, it will be a game of chance this year for sure.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”