How to hunt the wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
PK_
500 Club

Re: How to hunt the wind

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:43 pm

hunter10 wrote:I've hunted for many years and constantly hunt the wind, I don't beleive in forget the wind just hunt tactic but atleast a few times a year I go in with a[glow=red]N wind[/glow]for example, get to my tree and it's [glow=red]blowing S[/glow]. I think I'm in need to some reading on wind. I hunt farmland with some gullies and ridges but nothing screaming hill/mountain country. Any suggestions

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

A North wind should be blowing South. ;)

Are you checking wind by the hour forecasts??

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:28 pm

hoyt wrote: So..I broke down a few days ago and bought a Bee Smoker as much as I don't like smelling burnt smoke. I smoked everything, backpack, boots, socks, underwear..everything that goes with me. Put all of it in big cooler and put the spout of the Bee Smoker on the cooler drain plug, filled with smoke, shut lid and let sit overnight.

Hunted 3 times since and have not had a deer blow, had 4 deer..3 little bucks within 10yds downwind and none changed attitude..except one spike and I killed it with recurve as it turned to walk away. Could have been my tobacco spit on the ground it didn't like. So far I'm very pleased with the smoke.

I've heard of this but was always afraid to try it, thinking if I could be more scent free it would be better than being all smoked up. But like you, I too get sweaty in any weather even with short easy slow walks. I just sweat. I'm not overweight either and in fairly decent shape. So smelling like smoke would be a much better alternative than sweat LOL. i'm gonna do this and see what happens.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Pixie dust

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:41 pm

Bucky wrote:Pixie dust

And happy thoughts too.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:49 pm

checkerfred wrote:
hoyt wrote: So..I broke down a few days ago and bought a Bee Smoker as much as I don't like smelling burnt smoke. I smoked everything, backpack, boots, socks, underwear..everything that goes with me. Put all of it in big cooler and put the spout of the Bee Smoker on the cooler drain plug, filled with smoke, shut lid and let sit overnight.

Hunted 3 times since and have not had a deer blow, had 4 deer..3 little bucks within 10yds downwind and none changed attitude..except one spike and I killed it with recurve as it turned to walk away. Could have been my tobacco spit on the ground it didn't like. So far I'm very pleased with the smoke.

I've heard of this but was always afraid to try it, thinking if I could be more scent free it would be better than being all smoked up. But like you, I too get sweaty in any weather even with short easy slow walks. I just sweat. I'm not overweight either and in fairly decent shape. So smelling like smoke would be a much better alternative than sweat LOL. i'm gonna do this and see what happens.

If you read the testimonials on using Bee Smoker you'll order one today. I got mine from Ebay new in less than 3 days for $20.00.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:32 pm

When camping I use the smoke from the fire. Down here your clothes get the funk pretty bad, smoke really does help, no doubt in my mind.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:44 pm

PalmettoKid wrote: smoke really does help, no doubt in my mind.

You said it right, it helps.
Been playing with it some. Figured what the heck, i got nothing to lose on it. So far the results have been mixed. The most common response i get is they smell it and stop what they are doing and just leave. I still have them stomp, snort, look for me, and take off, but much less than without.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Smoke phenols can have antibacterial properties... so they can REDUCE stink producing bacteria. Do they make u scent free... NO. Will a mature buck smell human scent downwind of a smoked up hunter... YES

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:21 pm

hoyt wrote:I try to hunt the wind..especially since I'm always sweaty no matter what the weather due to steep ridges and long walks to where I hunt. But, it's really a waste of time for me due to the terrain..ridges and drainage's ..I hunt. I can drop 5 milk weeds one right after another and all go in different directions...not to mention the wind thermal will swap directions from very early morning as the day progresses.

I get blown at almost every hunt going and coming, while in stand and almost never have a deer close to me while I'm in a tree that doesn't know somethings up..even upwind sometimes. So..I broke down a few days ago and bought a Bee Smoker as much as I don't like smelling burnt smoke. I smoked everything, backpack, boots, socks, underwear..everything that goes with me. Put all of it in big cooler and put the spout of the Bee Smoker on the cooler drain plug, filled with smoke, shut lid and let sit overnight.

Very interesting! What wood type smoke is used?

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:01 pm

utica19 wrote:Never dry out a milkweed pod in your house and then try taking them out to put in your container. Unless you don't mind the indoor snowstorm that follows.

And don't dry a dozen pods on your truck dash and then use your car for a month, forget about them, jump in your truck and fire up the heater blower at full blast... :? Not that I would know :lol:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:02 pm

Bucky wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:Something that always hung me up was where the deer where coming from... if you don't know you really can't hunt the wind and that is where the turn around in your stand comes into play... so knowing where he is coming from is the main thing for me

During the rut they can come from anywhere!

Ifr your hunting funnels, travel wroughts, or beds, rut or not, travel is still predictable... Yea, every now and then they do surprise you though.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:06 pm

Bucky wrote:Smoke phenols can have antibacterial properties... so they can REDUCE stink producing bacteria. Do they make u scent free... NO. Will a mature buck smell human scent downwind of a smoked up hunter... YES

I agree... Its a proven fact that deer don't smell like humans. They smell multiple things at once, meaning they smell the smoke and you... I also think in nature, smoke and fire is something to fear.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:14 pm

Many years of hunting and playing the wind has taught me a lot about air currents. A lot of that is because I have used milkweed for 30+ years... Most guys will set up on the edge of an opening, I have learned that wind swirls in spots like that, and best to be in the cover shooting out to the opening... I have learned to look at the actual wind direction, and the tree lines, and topography of the terrain and predict how it will effect the wind current and the thermal current... I have also learned in some spots when the actual wind is one way, at that spot it blows another... I don't know why, but I know every time that wind occurs that spot has the differing wind... Wind speed can also effect swirling. a light steady wind is best in my opinion. No wind causes pooling, and heavy wind causes swirling.
Pay attention, think about the "whys" and learn from the experiences rather than just cursing the wind...
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:34 am

dan wrote:
utica19 wrote:Never dry out a milkweed pod in your house and then try taking them out to put in your container. Unless you don't mind the indoor snowstorm that follows.

And don't dry a dozen pods on your truck dash and then use your car for a month, forget about them, jump in your truck and fire up the heater blower at full blast... :? Not that I would know :lol:

picked some at work and let them sit in the work truck dash also with same results :lol: :lol: now I have a guy at work using milk weed to determine wind direction when setting up the saws so the saw dust blows away from his face :D many uses for the mighty milk weed
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:23 pm

dan wrote:Many years of hunting and playing the wind has taught me a lot about air currents. A lot of that is because I have used milkweed for 30+ years... Most guys will set up on the edge of an opening, I have learned that wind swirls in spots like that, and best to be in the cover shooting out to the opening... I have learned to look at the actual wind direction, and the tree lines, and topography of the terrain and predict how it will effect the wind current and the thermal current... I have also learned in some spots when the actual wind is one way, at that spot it blows another... I don't know why, but I know every time that wind occurs that spot has the differing wind... Wind speed can also effect swirling. a light steady wind is best in my opinion. No wind causes pooling, and heavy wind causes swirling.
Pay attention, think about the "whys" and learn from the experiences rather than just cursing the wind...

Dan
I think you could write a book or make a DVD just with wind, I have been takim notes on the places I have been hunting and noting what the wind and thermals do on that hunt, I have burnt some places but I know what not to do next time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”