How to hunt the wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Thermals
500 Club

Re: How to hunt the wind

Unread postby Thermals » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:20 pm

It may not be a big seller for you, maybe just do it and print it urself, I will still buy it lol.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

seeds

Unread postby seeds » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:32 pm

dan wrote:Many years of hunting and playing the wind has taught me a lot about air currents. A lot of that is because I have used milkweed for 30+ years... Most guys will set up on the edge of an opening, I have learned that wind swirls in spots like that, and best to be in the cover shooting out to the opening... I have learned to look at the actual wind direction, and the tree lines, and topography of the terrain and predict how it will effect the wind current and the thermal current... I have also learned in some spots when the actual wind is one way, at that spot it blows another... I don't know why, but I know every time that wind occurs that spot has the differing wind... Wind speed can also effect swirling. a light steady wind is best in my opinion. No wind causes pooling, and heavy wind causes swirling.
Pay attention, think about the "whys" and learn from the experiences rather than just cursing the wind...

That's why I'm dropping milkweed every once-in-a-while during a sit...and I may let loose 1/3 of the pod at once. I knows I gots lots to learn.

That opening edge has been my bane this year. I got busted at one spot where a west wind corkscrewed both straight north and straight south - the wind flowed like water over a lowhead dam.

Tonight's spot was similar but I was back just a little bit. Horrible swirl with milkweed going NNW on a west wind,also heading southwest consistently and once in a while down to the ground,then "UPWIND" before rising and coming back at me....Had I not dawdled between work and hunting I would'a had time to relocate.

Facing the opening back to the wind - even if it's a small opening...I've got to start avoiding that set.

I reread Dan's post...Ya know? In both places the wind "worked" while it was lower. It screwed me when it gusted.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:06 am

Had an interesting observation yday evening. Wind had been about 10 mph steady at my stand, blowing west to east. On this farm, there is a lake approximately 1/4 mile behind me directly west. I was hunting just inside the woodline. As the wind settled toward dark and temps cooled I started dropping some more milkweed which starting going the opposite direction of the prevailing wind for the day, it was as if it were getting sucked back towards the lake (east to west). This was surprising as the lake isn't that big and I thought it was far enough away to not have any thermal effect but that is the only thing I could see that would have made the air current change to the opposite direction as the prevailing wind had been for the day.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:00 am

do you harvest your milk weeds when they're still green and in the pod or when they start to open up some of the ones I have are half open and some are half green

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:19 am

We had two clowns where I hunt in SW WI that used to smoke up in a fire pit before each hunt. Claimed it worked.. Said the Indians did it back in the day. Who knows but it sure made for some good comedy with the landowner and me.. :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:24 am

bowhunter345 wrote:do you harvest your milk weeds when they're still green and in the pod or when they start to open up some of the ones I have are half open and some are half green

bOTH... With the green ones I put a slice in them and dry them on my dash..
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:31 pm

dan wrote:Many years of hunting and playing the wind has taught me a lot about air currents. A lot of that is because I have used milkweed for 30+ years... Most guys will set up on the edge of an opening, I have learned that wind swirls in spots like that, and best to be in the cover shooting out to the opening... I have learned to look at the actual wind direction, and the tree lines, and topography of the terrain and predict how it will effect the wind current and the thermal current... I have also learned in some spots when the actual wind is one way, at that spot it blows another... I don't know why, but I know every time that wind occurs that spot has the differing wind... Wind speed can also effect swirling. a light steady wind is best in my opinion. No wind causes pooling, and heavy wind causes swirling.
Pay attention, think about the "whys" and learn from the experiences rather than just cursing the wind...

Very interesting. And true, I think this burns many of us... this alone would be a great topic to expand on

Make It Happen
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 am

bowhunter345 wrote:do you harvest your milk weeds when they're still green and in the pod or when they start to open up some of the ones I have are half open and some are half green

The last couple years I harvested enough for the next year (or 5). This year I tried putting a small rubber band - doubled - around the green pod. I also took some and put a couple loose "rings" of masking tape around them. The rubber band worked better but the masking tape was easier.

This was so the pods would open but not all the way and spill out all the good stuff.

Then I put the pods in large paper grocery bags in a warm dry place. I only filled the bags about 6 inches deep to encourage quick drying.

I had good ready-to-use milkweed opening weekend left from last year. I had enough to give plenty away to friends. Now I have enough to be called "obsessive" by my wife.

I still fill my hunting pant's "milkweed pocket" when I pass a stem full'a partly open pods. No sense letting it go to waste.
Last edited by seeds on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:51 am

BTW,last night the wind completely died....I had picked up an apple-sized dried puffball mushroom and used it as a wind indicator. While milkweed seeds slowly sank around my tree the puffball spoors rose. Target buck came in but stayed in the thick stuff about 40yds out.

But it appeared that there was a slight thermal that milkweed was too heavy to show.

Any similar observations or comments?
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:47 am

Being new to milkweed, my first couple pods went bad. I put them in a ziplock and they got moldy. Second attempt, I opened the pods and spread them out at my desk at home. Came back in the evening and forgot they were out. Cranked up the room fan and Wow! I had a room full of milkweed. Some are still floating around.

I bought a lingerie bag. It is fine mesh with a zippered opening. Ask your women folk if you do not know what I am talking about.
I open the pods into the lingerie bag. I zip it up and put it in front of a floor fan until the milkweed is dry. With that, I no longer wait for the pod to be brown and dry.

Question: do you guys throw the actual seeds out somewhere to grow milkweed? Any recommendations on where and when you would do this?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”