Best time to hunt a cold front

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
SonofUlam

Best time to hunt a cold front

Unread postby SonofUlam » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:34 am

I searched for info about this and saw some guys hinting at it, but nothing really definitive, so here goes.

What's the best time to set-up during a cold front and WHY? I'm mostly referring to before the front, during, or after. Assume all other variables are equal. Also- how are you gauging the timing, what are you looking at? (are you watching temp drops, barometric pressure, wind change, maybe a combination?). Thanks!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: Best time to hunt a cold front

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:51 am

If the cold front brings severe weather I've had some good hunts right before it hits, like an influx of activity 1 to 2 hours before the actual front hits. If the front just brings colder temperatures and mild wind speeds I've had some really good hunts and kills immediately after the drop in temps. If the front brings severe weather with high winds/severe weather and such the first day following those severe conditions when it tends to mellow out and the cold temperatures remain seems to be really good for sightings as most deer will stay bedded through the severe weather and will be extra hungry/uncomfortable and wanting to move making that first calm day a good one

Some feel that extreme severe weather means poor hunting, but I have seen some of my biggest bucks in the nastiest weather from a raining downpour, hailstorms, and a nasty sleet/snow storms.

This has been my experience but am listening to other opinions.

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:15 am

Around me on the mid-Atlantic coast right when it passes or up to two or three days after I see a lot of activity. Any 10-15 degree change in temp for me I see stuff moving in the evenings normally. If it goes like 20 or more degrees I'm in the woods all prior engagements are off.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:26 am

Temps drop from 60s to 40s is a good change. This would be go time. I think this is the best temp change range that gets them rolling where I hunt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:22 am

Has anyone noticed significant movement in relation to rise and fall of barometer (which as I understand is directly related to moving cold fronts)? Like, is there more movement just before a rise, at its peak, or maybe just as its falling again? Or is it not that specific? Maybe deer just move more when temps are dropping and less when they're not?

Thanks.

[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:15 am

The info in this article is from last year, but it is solid advice on what to watch for in the weather forecast......

http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.co ... -forecast/

gatorbait42

Unread postby gatorbait42 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:25 am

I like to hunt the evening when temps are warm with severe weather rolling in late that night followed by colder temps the next day. I've killed my best bucks with those exact conditions and have noticed deer movement to be excellent when those conditions are present.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:44 am

Ack wrote:The info in this article is from last year, but it is solid advice on what to watch for in the weather forecast......

http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.co ... -forecast/

Gr8 depiction Ack!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:54 am

I'm really a fan of hunting after a cold front and the worse the weather it brings the better I feel that nasty weather not only keeps the deer bedded but stresses them out then when it does break and still cold I think they are on their feet.... My favorite time in the woods

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:35 am

SonofUlam wrote:Has anyone noticed significant movement in relation to rise and fall of barometer (which as I understand is directly related to moving cold fronts)? Like, is there more movement just before a rise, at its peak, or maybe just as its falling again? Or is it not that specific? Maybe deer just move more when temps are dropping and less when they're not?

Thanks.

I'm on my phone or I would link it, but there is an old thread in here that has a guy's graph of buck sightings related to barometer. I remember anything approaching or exceeding 30.00" correlated to significantly increased sightings.

jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:36 am

I have a lot of cold front info on my site. Here is the latest article from the last couple of weeks...but there are more going back over a couple of years. My site has a search function too, there about 150 whitetail articles to read through if you want...

http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/blog/immediate-whitetail-cold-front-hunting-guide/

Image My NEW BOOK can be purchased at http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/?page_id=343...Please check it out and I hope that you enjoy my website too!
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:29 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:I'm on my phone or I would link it, but there is an old thread in here that has a guy's graph of buck sightings related to barometer. I remember anything approaching or exceeding 30.00" correlated to significantly increased sightings.

I'll be sure to check for that.

Jeff thanks for the link and info- I'll for sure take a look through it.

Anyone else? What have you noticed or seen?

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:31 pm

the absolute BEST hunt ive ever had was the day hurricane sandy moved in...although in western PA and on the fringe of the system the deer were absolutely rolling that day....it was a little early for "the rut" IMO but "close enough" that a little bit of it was probably associated....but i am convinced that what i saw was a result of the hurricane...it was unbelievable...

i was in a spot that if i see a couple deer a sit i did good...i cant remember exactly what i seen that day but i dont think there was very long stretches of time that i DIDNT have deer to look at...

it was incredible...

we have a front moving in tomorrow it looks like.....im gunna get my but outta bed and hit it in the morning...i do believe fronts trigger movement...and i agree it seems to be an hour or 2 before it and directly after it...depends on the weather and severity too i think...

i think with the hurricane they knew theyd be holed up a while and thats why the woods exploded...
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:31 am

In the early season when temps are still high, I find it best to hunt during and right after assuming the weather isn't too bad. During colder temps, I find right before to be a really good time to be in the woods. Just my observations.
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:59 am

mauser06 wrote:i think with the hurricane they knew theyd be holed up a while and thats why the woods exploded...

It's amazing to me how nearly every species has an ability to 'feel' effects in weather before they occur. Except for my uncle with 'trick' knee, I don't know any human with this same ability. Just amazes me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”