Morning hunts.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
RidgeReaper

Morning hunts.

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:40 am

I need some input on what you beast style hunters do for morning hunts.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Morning hunts.

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:56 am

October 25th morning it's on for this Beast... ;)
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:08 am

What's your strategy? I understand its very tough to move in on beds in the morning so what's the next best thing to do??

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:13 am

There are many variables that need to be considered in order to answer your question.

Beds can be successfully hunted in the morning, but it takes experience.
If you want to gain experience then you have to do it.

My opinion would be that in the morning a pre set spot works best.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:17 am

bowhunter345 wrote:What's your strategy? I understand its very tough to move in on beds in the morning so what's the next best thing to do??

October 25th I personally go back to rut tactics and target doe bedding more than anything else. It's higher percentage in my opinion.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:36 am

Outside of the rut, I usually don't target beds in the morning. I have tried and it has never ended well. In the right circumstance, it can work so don't let that deter you from trying it yourself and formulating your own opinion.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:50 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:October 25th morning it's on for this Beast... ;)

That's when my morning trail cam pics really start ramping up...... good call.
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:23 am

Another question I have is on a ridge top or along its side lacking a lot of terrain features with a prevailing wind blowing straight toward it...where would a buck likely bed? He wouldn't be able to bed using thermals and prevailing as easily.

RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:46 pm

Does using the Lee side of a hill at the top 1/3 work well even before the rut for daylight activity? I'm planning a thermal funnel hunt this weekend and wanted to see if it'd be worth it.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:05 pm

bowhunter345 wrote:Does using the Lee side of a hill at the top 1/3 work well even before the rut for daylight activity? I'm planning a thermal funnel hunt this weekend and wanted to see if it'd be worth it.

If it is a good spot I'd save it for closer to Nov 1st. I typically don't see bucks rut "cruz" until early Nov... that is when a 1/3 down leeward hillside ridge is primo to hunt

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Bucky wrote:
bowhunter345 wrote:Does using the Lee side of a hill at the top 1/3 work well even before the rut for daylight activity? I'm planning a thermal funnel hunt this weekend and wanted to see if it'd be worth it.

If it is a good spot I'd save it for closer to Nov 1st. I typically don't see bucks rut "cruz" until early Nov... that is when a 1/3 down leeward hillside ridge is primo to hunt

That's interesting Bucky- when I watched the hills DVD I didn't really gather that it was a mostly or best as a rut tactic. Am I understanding you right that you feel like it is? If so, why is that? Thanks for the feedback!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:24 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
bowhunter345 wrote:What's your strategy? I understand its very tough to move in on beds in the morning so what's the next best thing to do??

October 25th I personally go back to rut tactics and target doe bedding more than anything else. It's higher percentage in my opinion.

I'll be out either the 25th or the 26th to hunt a handful of specific buck happy places in hill country, wind dictating. Super aggressive, timing will be right, but a good chance I'll see him on his feet

Rut tactics after that weekend's hunt. Plus, after the evening hunt on Oct 29th its all day, every day until November 12th.
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:27 pm

I got the same impression from the DVD SonofUlam. I kinda figured it would be a rut worthy tactic but according to the hill country DVD they seem to use it all throughout the season. I want to try a Lee side of a ridgetop near a saddle and I want to head into it at around 730 am and be setup by 9 or so to take advantage of the thermals. Hoping it works out.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:37 pm

Careful with that 730 entry in some areas, especially with distant food sources. I see some of my best MATURE buck movement at approx. 730 (i.e. getting to bed late!)
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Deer tend to walk the 1/3 down hillside when traveling from pt A to pt B. It gives them a scent and sight advantage to travel high on a ridge with a rising thermal. This time of year mid morning for a mature deer (4+) is an unlikely scenario IMO. The 1/3 hillside close to a bedding point in the evenings is a good bet (higher percentage chance to kill a mature buck). A cold front around 22nd-25the I start to sit AMs. These are just my observations with 2 decades of bowhunting.

For mature deer... they start to cruz heavily around Nov 1,2,3 during daylight... those are the times I think your odds of shooting a 3+ yr old buck increase by setting up as you are describing. By hunting now (if private) u are shooting yourself in the foot IMO.

Last edited by Bucky on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”