Impromptu Trip - next week

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Impromptu Trip - next week

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:29 am

Guys,

The stars are aligning it seems.

I am in between jobs and have all of next week off before I transition into my new role and the fiance just so happens to be out of town on a work trip.

I thought this was a great opportunity to plan out an adventure in an area that I have never been, Southeast MN. My plan is to pack up on Monday, head to a meeting on Tuesday morning, and then drive south to scout/ hunt until Friday evening. My thought was to live out of my truck for the week - is this crazy? Also, for guys that have done this sort of thing before, what are some gear items that you would advise I pack? Anything in particular that you couldn't do a trip like that without?

I'm going to watch the Hill Country bucks DVD again I think over the weekend and start scouring topo maps for potential stand locations based on projected winds for the next week.

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: Impromptu Trip - next week

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:10 am

Id take gallon jugs of water...life without it for various things is miserable. Plenty of paper towels and TP. Camping food that you can unwrap and eat with ease. Trashbags-various uses. Good luck!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:22 am

Good idea on the gallon jugs of water...I'm thinking some wet wipes may be necessary too. Going to be a long week lol
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:29 am

Baby wipes will be your best friend. Coleman stove and cooler for food storage is nice.

I lived in my truck for years.... sort of.

Before moving to the Northwoods of WI permanently 14 years ago I kept my boat in a rented storage shed and ventured north every weekend. I traveled for work and stayed in hotels the company picked up during the week and days off went north and hooked the boat up not unhooking it until late Sunday night.

With no wife or steady girlfriend I literally did this for 8-9 years. It was great and loved exploring new areas to hunt and fish.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:00 am

As far as scouting goes once I get there I will be doing a lot of on foot scouting, but would you guys set up trail cameras along field edges or open areas and check them everyday? If I find something nice start looking for potential bedding areas near by?

I was always kind of curious how guys did this...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”