Leeward huntnig

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Leeward huntnig

Unread postby admiral04 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:26 am

Last yr. I started paying more attention to wind direction and really focused on hunting leeward hills. I definately noticed a change in my deer sightings and notice alot of sign(trails) at that 1/3 down elevation. My question is can the winds be too fast to where a buck my disregard the leeward wind when bedding or even will deer in general ever hit a point where they may not travel the leeward side because winds are too high too create a thermal tunnel. 20 mph winds here today, wondering if I shuld bother with the leeward side.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Leeward huntnig

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:35 am

Wind speed can in some cases make the elevation height of travel vary slightly, but if anything, stonger winds make it even more likely they will be on the leeward side.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:39 am

dan wrote:Wind speed can in some cases make the elevation height of travel vary slightly, but if anything, stonger winds make it even more likely they will be on the leeward side.

Agreed but the thermal affect won't be much if anything with winds that strong..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:46 am

PLB wrote:
dan wrote:Wind speed can in some cases make the elevation height of travel vary slightly, but if anything, stonger winds make it even more likely they will be on the leeward side.

Agreed but the thermal affect won't be much if anything with winds that strong..

Actually, a lot of the wind tunnel effect has nothing to do with thermals... A lot of it comes from vacuum created by the air speed above. and if its calm in the valley below the wind, you should still have good thermal rise to boot.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:08 am

Thermals are created by the sun. On a cloudy day, there may not be any thermal activity on a leeward side worth paying any attention to. A strong prevailing wind is going to blow air over the leeward side and that air is either going to sink to the bottom of the hill, or blow onto the hillside across the ravine or valley. I think deer would move a little further down from the 1/3 elevation line in this scenario. On a sunny day, the blowing air is going to engage with rising air parcels off the leeward side, creating little 'wind tunnels'. This maybe ideal to find the 1/3 elevation line.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:43 am

dan wrote:
PLB wrote:

Actually, a lot of the wind tunnel effect has nothing to do with thermals... A lot of it comes from vacuum created by the air speed above. and if its calm in the valley below the wind, you should still have good thermal rise to boot.

Yes. I have been saying this for a while, I noticed this before I came across this site and the 'thermal tunnel' concept. Higher wind speeds will pull air currents up the leeward side even at times when the thermals should be falling…

Think of how water flows around a river bend...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:45 am

I am not a 100% sure if it has anything to do with thermals on windy days, it seems to me it makes that tunnel effect by the way the air moves over the hill.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:55 am

Thermals wrote:I am not a 100% sure if it has anything to do with thermals on windy days, it seems to me it makes that tunnel effect by the way the air moves over the hill.

The terrain has alot to do with it. Air tends to move in a more 'fluid' motion over smooth surfaces (aerodynamics). The picture below demonstrates.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:04 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Thermals are created by the sun. On a cloudy day, there may not be any thermal activity on a leeward side worth paying any attention to. A strong prevailing wind is going to blow air over the leeward side and that air is either going to sink to the bottom of the hill, or blow onto the hillside across the ravine or valley. I think deer would move a little further down from the 1/3 elevation line in this scenario. On a sunny day, the blowing air is going to engage with rising air parcels off the leeward side, creating little 'wind tunnels'. This maybe ideal to find the 1/3 elevation line.

Great post!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:06 am

dan wrote:
PLB wrote:

a good example of this. ever see garbage doing circles in a truck bed while it's going down the road with no top or cover and the tailgate is up. the garbage looks like it will blow out of the truck only to keep looping around. it moves up the back window and and back toward the tailgate and down along the bed and back up along the back window and keeps circling.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Great examples! Good post

go DEEP or go HOME
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:05 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:
dan wrote:
PLB wrote:

Yes. I have been saying this for a while, I noticed this before I came across this site and the 'thermal tunnel' concept. Higher wind speeds will pull air currents up the leeward side even at times when the thermals should be falling…

The wind going over a hill creates a friction layer that circulates the air back up the leeward hillside.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:52 pm

I remember a cold extremly windy day in late October when I was hunting a leeward ridge. The wind above was howling at over 20mph. There was a bunch of ttrees dropping leaves and the leaves were gertting caught in the wind tunnel and it was the most awesome sight...
You could look down the ridge and physically see the wind tunnel cause of the leaves caught in the circle vacuum. Thats the day the term "wind tunnel" was born.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:20 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:
PalmettoKid wrote:
dan wrote:
PLB wrote:

The wind going over a hill creates a friction layer that circulates the air back up the leeward hillside.

Im thinking the wind has to be pretty strong for this to happen. A steady light wind, not so much.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:48 pm

Im thinking the wind has to be pretty strong for this to happen. A steady light wind, not so much.

It really don't take much... Without the wind vacuum thermals rise straight up... Drop milkweed and watch it follow the terrain up the hill. Thats vacuum.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”