Deer movement on human and horse trails

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Country
500 Club

Deer movement on human and horse trails

Unread postby Country » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:24 am

I am considering hunting some hill country property during the rut. Some of the spots I really want to hunt, such as the top of a deep draw, have horse/walking paths crossing there. Will bucks be likely to still use these trails if they are the easiest way of crossing a draw or will they avoid these areas?

bblefty

Re: Deer movement on human and horse trails

Unread postby bblefty » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:57 am

For me, it has been 100fun percent bases on the amont of use. Some hiking trails far back on public are used far more by deer than people. On one farm, with pictures a sightings, I cam tell if the threshold has been reached in which deer will not use a trail. Basically, people bad, horses just as bad, dogs are the worst.

Last night had a lady ride her horse by at 20the yards right through the beddong area singing as loud as humanly possible with two dogs too. Sorry for the vent.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. Does anybody else have any experience with this?
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:51 pm

There is a large piece of public land here that has a horse riding facility, a camp for the riders, etc. Big operation. I think it's one of the premier horse riding spots around. Miles & miles of trails. They don't allow gun hunting in the area but do bowhunting. Deer are use to humans being around and move about their daily activities as usual. There are some real brutes there. Do they walk the trails? yea.
If the area is used to humans riding the deer will have adjusted to it and are still there. Like any other kind of pressure, they'll deal with it and survive. You just have to find out how.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:03 am

X2, some of my best public spots are loaded with hiking and horse trails. The deer expect the activity and I don't think it bothers them so long as people stay put where the deer expect them. It actually sometimes works to my advantage because entry and exits are easier. I shot a doe last fall less than 2 minutes after 2 or 3 horses and riders rode past talking about 40 yards away.
Southern Man wrote:There is a large piece of public land here that has a horse riding facility, a camp for the riders, etc. Big operation. I think it's one of the premier horse riding spots around. Miles & miles of trails. They don't allow gun hunting in the area but do bowhunting. Deer are use to humans being around and move about their daily activities as usual. There are some real brutes there. Do they walk the trails? yea.
If the area is used to humans riding the deer will have adjusted to it and are still there. Like any other kind of pressure, they'll deal with it and survive. You just have to find out how.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”