WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
yungbuck
500 Club
Posts: 1153
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:27 pm
Location: Indiana
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Image
Good for this season but great idea to ship seed

[ Post made via Android ] Image


nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
62kodiak
500 Club
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:15 pm
Location: North Metro, MN
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby 62kodiak » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:34 pm

I do have one question. Has anybody thought about the issue of spreading an invasive weed? If your hunting area does not have naturally occurring milkweed, it may not be in your best interest to be spreading seeds all over the landscape. Might not be a bad idea to contact your CO and ask him if it is OK.

I am not trying to be that guy, but it should be taken into consideration.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 31965
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:53 pm

62kodiak wrote:I do have one question. Has anybody thought about the issue of spreading an invasive weed? If your hunting area does not have naturally occurring milkweed, it may not be in your best interest to be spreading seeds all over the landscape. Might not be a bad idea to contact your CO and ask him if it is OK.

I am not trying to be that guy, but it should be taken into consideration.

Not speaking for everyone but most of us separate the seeds from the actual fluff in the pod. When dry I shake the milkweed in a big zip lock baggie and the seeds all settle to the bottom and I then pull the fluff out and put in my container so actually no seeds ever make it to the ground.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
User avatar
BigHunt
Posts: 12095
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:50 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:10 pm

Dewey wrote:
62kodiak wrote:I do have one question. Has anybody thought about the issue of spreading an invasive weed? If your hunting area does not have naturally occurring milkweed, it may not be in your best interest to be spreading seeds all over the landscape. Might not be a bad idea to contact your CO and ask him if it is OK.

I am not trying to be that guy, but it should be taken into consideration.

Not speaking for everyone but most of us separate the seeds from the actual fluff in the pod. When dry I shake the milkweed in a big zip lock baggie and the seeds all settle to the bottom and I then pull the fluff out and put in my container so actually no seeds ever make it to the ground.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

x2 i take seeds off
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 38551
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:21 pm

62kodiak wrote:I do have one question. Has anybody thought about the issue of spreading an invasive weed? If your hunting area does not have naturally occurring milkweed, it may not be in your best interest to be spreading seeds all over the landscape. Might not be a bad idea to contact your CO and ask him if it is OK.

I am not trying to be that guy, but it should be taken into consideration.

I have never seen it considered an invasive species... But the seed is removed from the part that tests the wind, and there are conservation groups sending out the seeds to help spread them across the country to help the monarch butterfly... I would doubt conservation groups would ship invasive species? Do a search on monarch butterfly / milkweed and you will see what I mean. There was even a post on here about one group for a while that was selling 10 seeds for $5 and using the money to help monarchs.
62kodiak
500 Club
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:15 pm
Location: North Metro, MN
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby 62kodiak » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:32 pm

That was probably a bad choice of words on my part. I wasn't trying to say it was invasive, but I am positive that some government stooge having his strings pulled by an ecofreak would disagree. That is the only reason that I suggested calling your local CO and asking if it was OK. Didn't mean to upset anybody, just better safe then sorry when transporting plants and wildlife. They are real sticklers about that here in MN.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 38551
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:22 am

62kodiak wrote:That was probably a bad choice of words on my part. I wasn't trying to say it was invasive, but I am positive that some government stooge having his strings pulled by an ecofreak would disagree. That is the only reason that I suggested calling your local CO and asking if it was OK. Didn't mean to upset anybody, just better safe then sorry when transporting plants and wildlife. They are real sticklers about that here in MN.

I just did a search again, and there are dozens of tree hugger websites promoting planting milkweed and some even selling seeds to promote saving the monarch butterfly. Some gardening places even sell the seeds.
User avatar
Jackson Marsh
Moderator
Posts: 16586
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:11 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:42 am

Never ask for permission. ....:mrgreen:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
basspro05
500 Club
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:12 am
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby basspro05 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:14 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Never ask for permission. ....:mrgreen:

[ Post made via Android ] Image


You ain't lyin! Everytime I try and be courteous and ask for permission, I meet someone having a bad day and they rip me apart :lol:
vanceg
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby vanceg » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:36 am

dan wrote:
62kodiak wrote:That was probably a bad choice of words on my part. I wasn't trying to say it was invasive, but I am positive that some government stooge having his strings pulled by an ecofreak would disagree. That is the only reason that I suggested calling your local CO and asking if it was OK. Didn't mean to upset anybody, just better safe then sorry when transporting plants and wildlife. They are real sticklers about that here in MN.

I just did a search again, and there are dozens of tree hugger websites promoting planting milkweed and some even selling seeds to promote saving the monarch butterfly. Some gardening places even sell the seeds.



Tree huggers are fighting to ban wolf hunting in Michigan. Does it make that right? It's a freaking weed that is a problem in a lot of places. Sometimes this place gets really weird.
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 38551
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:51 am

vanceg wrote:
dan wrote:
62kodiak wrote:That was probably a bad choice of words on my part. I wasn't trying to say it was invasive, but I am positive that some government stooge having his strings pulled by an ecofreak would disagree. That is the only reason that I suggested calling your local CO and asking if it was OK. Didn't mean to upset anybody, just better safe then sorry when transporting plants and wildlife. They are real sticklers about that here in MN.

I just did a search again, and there are dozens of tree hugger websites promoting planting milkweed and some even selling seeds to promote saving the monarch butterfly. Some gardening places even sell the seeds.



Tree huggers are fighting to ban wolf hunting in Michigan. Does it make that right? It's a freaking weed that is a problem in a lot of places. Sometimes this place gets really weird.

Maybe tree huggers was a bad term... "ENVIRONMENTALISTS" are promoting plating the plant all over to help stop the decrease in numbers of monarchs. I have never personally ever heard anyone refer to milkweed as invasive. I thought it was a native plant. And to my knowledge there are no laws against sending a pod, or seeds. Garden centers even sell them. its no different than buying or shipping sunflower seeds.
User avatar
Jackson Marsh
Moderator
Posts: 16586
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:11 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:57 am

90% of the plants my wife plants I consider weeds.....at least milkweed has some use for me.

We do get a little goofy on here until the season starts.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 38551
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:00 am

I did a whole bunch of searching and almost all milkweed info on the web suggest that they are a great plant that is encouraged to be planted to help save the butterflies... When searching invasive milkweed, I was able to find one strain that is in vine form that was referd to as invasive... Mine is not. Its the stuff being recommended for planting for butterflys, if you can show me something I can't find on the subject stating it should not be transferred I would be interested, I can only find sites and groups promoting the spread of this plant.
62kodiak
500 Club
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:15 pm
Location: North Metro, MN
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby 62kodiak » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:02 am

Again I am very sorry that I even brought it up. I just didn't want to see somebody get ticketed for possessing a non-native weed if it is not traditionally from their area. I was not questioning the legality or ethics of selling the pods on this site. I think it is great that Dan is helping out those that don't have the time or resources to located their own milkweed.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
dreaming bucks
Status: Offline

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:25 am

62kodiak wrote:Again I am very sorry that I even brought it up. I just didn't want to see somebody get ticketed for possessing a non-native weed if it is not traditionally from their area. I was not questioning the legality or ethics of selling the pods on this site. I think it is great that Dan is helping out those that don't have the time or resources to located their own milkweed.



Nothing wrong with looking out for others Kodiak..... sounds like it's all good though.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: erics218 and 20 guests