My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
dkoy85
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:11 pm
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby dkoy85 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:40 am

Awesome experiment! Only thing I could think is bucks tend to rub different trees than they scrape under. Betcha if you put a cedar post close by, between the scrape rope and the cedar post you'll get pictures of every buck in the area.


dreaming bucks
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:44 am

dkoy85 wrote:Awesome experiment! Only thing I could think is bucks tend to rub different trees than they scrape under. Betcha if you put a cedar post close by, between the scrape rope and the cedar post you'll get pictures of every buck in the area.


I am using a cedar post.. Do you mean, just get the post further away from the rope?

Someone once said, it might take a couple years before they start rubbing on them. So I'm hoping that is the case.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
User avatar
stash59
Moderator
Posts: 9487
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 am
Location: S Central Wi.
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:22 am

I had read a little about this on D&DH's site. I've always been into using scents. I once put some Wildlife Research No.309 on some rub sized trees in a semi circle around my stand. In hopes of attracting something for that sit. I came back a week later and every tree had been rubbed. I had just taken the bottle and pushed it against the trunk at a height between my chest and waist. Then let it run down a little. Something like this might encourage rubbing.
User avatar
dkoy85
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:11 pm
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby dkoy85 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:48 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:
dkoy85 wrote:Awesome experiment! Only thing I could think is bucks tend to rub different trees than they scrape under. Betcha if you put a cedar post close by, between the scrape rope and the cedar post you'll get pictures of every buck in the area.


I am using a cedar post.. Do you mean, just get the post further away from the rope?

Someone once said, it might take a couple years before they start rubbing on them. So I'm hoping that is the case.

[ Post made via Android ] Image


I'm thinking maybe they'll rub it if it isn't attached as one unit(a rub/scrape). Off the top of my head I can't think of a time I saw an annual rub post/tree used as a scrape as well. However, that could be because a lot of scrape trees aren't ideal for rubbing because of lower branches and a lot of annual rub trees aren't used as scrapes because of higher branches. I'm going to be more cognitive of this while I'm out scouting. Anyways this was an awesome idea... if I get back into a lease I'll be trying this out!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
User avatar
dkoy85
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:11 pm
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby dkoy85 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:48 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:
dkoy85 wrote:Awesome experiment! Only thing I could think is bucks tend to rub different trees than they scrape under. Betcha if you put a cedar post close by, between the scrape rope and the cedar post you'll get pictures of every buck in the area.


I am using a cedar post.. Do you mean, just get the post further away from the rope?

Someone once said, it might take a couple years before they start rubbing on them. So I'm hoping that is the case.

[ Post made via Android ] Image


I'm thinking maybe they'll rub it if it isn't attached as one unit(a rub/scrape). Off the top of my head I can't think of a time I saw an annual rub post/tree used as a scrape as well. However, that could be because a lot of scrape trees aren't ideal for rubbing because of lower branches and a lot of annual rub trees aren't used as scrapes because of higher branches. I'm going to be more cognitive of this while I'm out scouting. Anyways this was an awesome idea... if I get back into a lease I'll be trying this out!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Burroak@47
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:01 am
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby Burroak@47 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:01 pm

Here is a vid from a mock scrape I made, this is public land here in ohio, Image
User avatar
muddy
Posts: 8257
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 am
Location: Hawkeye State of Mind
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby muddy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:06 pm

I have several buddies who use willows in a similar manner and have been doing so for 10+years. Their observations show willows work best and their trail cam pics show the proof in the pudding. I'll ask amd see if I can borrow some pics. One guy has a 50 pic series of a 250+ walking up in velvet, shedding the willow, walking away stripped clean.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
User avatar
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Posts: 1271
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:47 am
Facebook: dhurtubise
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:33 am

muddy wrote:I have several buddies who use willows in a similar manner and have been doing so for 10+years. Their observations show willows work best and their trail cam pics show the proof in the pudding. I'll ask amd see if I can borrow some pics. One guy has a 50 pic series of a 250+ walking up in velvet, shedding the willow, walking away stripped clean.

[ Post made via Android ] Image


I would love to see that.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dreaming bucks
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:04 am

Curious if anybody else is trying something like this, this year?

I'm going to put longer ropes on this year, hoping that encourages them to check them out a little more

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dreaming bucks
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:43 am

Thought I would share a few more pics I had on the last card pull, of them using the rope.. I had more pics of them than this using the rope, but here are a few examples. Nothing for rubbing on the post yet, but I do get pics of them scent checking the post.

Image

Image

Image
loneranger
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:16 pm
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby loneranger » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:28 pm

I started using willows for mock rubbing trees right in front of my stands. Bucks loved em last season. Kept pulling them out of the ground though,,so,,this year I poured some of that quick post set cement in the hole. Bet they cant pull them out this season!
User avatar
DaveT1963
500 Club
Posts: 4886
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:27 am
Location: South
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:15 am

This is what I do if I want to create a rub or licking branch.... works sometimes, othertimes it doesn't - I think location is the deciding factor?

I go to the local deer processor and get a few heads of early season bucks killed that morning or evening prior. I take a fresh cotton swab and I really clean out the eye glands and put these swabs in a fresh zip lock. I then skin off the forehead skin and place that in a fresh ziplock and freeze it. If the buck is a little "rutty" I will also take a fresh cotton pad and rub his hocks glands really good or I skin and freeze them. Last, if I can get some fresh buck pee I do that as well. You could also try to wipe interior of the mouth with a separate cotton swab but a lot of time they are too dry and have blood in them.

When I get to my location, I take my folding saw and I create the visual rub. Then I take the frozen or thawed head skin and while wearing rubber gloves I really work that new rub over. I will take the fresh hock glands and rub them on bottom of tree and on ground,rocks, logs, etc.. and pour deer around the rub.

If I am also creating a scrape, I find and over hanging limb, or I put one there, break off the ends, and I take the Q-Tip and rub as much scent (leaving some of the cotton as it rubs off) on this limb. I will take the fresh hock glands and rub them on bottom of tree and on ground, rocks, logs, etc.. and pour deer pee in the scrape.

The very best ones I have always been where bucks naturally travel or in close proximity. It is also where I tend to get my best trail camera pictures (I leave these cameras - black flash is all I use) and only check them when I hunt there). If you freeze these in vacuum sealed bags you can keep them for a year. I always stock up on tarsal glands/hock glands during Nov - I give my local deer processor gift card each Dec at Christmas and he always keeps me the freshest and nastiest smelling ones.

I am not one that believes human , rabbit pee smells like deer to a buck - so I only use fresh buck urine if I can get it - don't think it is necessary as it evaporates and changes smell pretty quickly once exposed to the elements.

These are all tactics I learned while trapping and all I can say is NOTHING beats the real, fresh thing.

Forgot to mention - he also keeps me stocked in very ripe doe parts - for obvious reasons.
User avatar
kenn1320
500 Club
Posts: 3474
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:19 am
Location: Shooting my bow (MI)
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:09 am

Ive had cedar posts in for 3 or 4yrs, nothing ever touched them. I freshened them with real cedar oil and nothing. This year I drilled 1/4" holes on a downward angle to be holding pockets for the oil(thinking the scent would stay longer) and nothing has rubbed yet. I tried a new experiment this year and so far nothing. Since digging is a real chore in my area, I cut down some T post to about 20" and drove 1ft of that into the ground. I used U bolts and clamped 1.5" diameter sumac tree to it. Its hard to find sumac that isnt rubbed and not knowing where to find willow in my area, the sumac was the choice. So far nothing. I had also heard anise oil is like catnip to deer, so one of the 2 sumac trees I poured some of that on and nothing. I did see some bucks on the cam in velvet, but since the acorns started dropping no buck pics for last 3wks.........
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
User avatar
DaveT1963
500 Club
Posts: 4886
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:27 am
Location: South
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:49 am

kenn1320 wrote:Ive had cedar posts in for 3 or 4yrs, nothing ever touched them. I freshened them with real cedar oil and nothing. This year I drilled 1/4" holes on a downward angle to be holding pockets for the oil(thinking the scent would stay longer) and nothing has rubbed yet. I tried a new experiment this year and so far nothing. Since digging is a real chore in my area, I cut down some T post to about 20" and drove 1ft of that into the ground. I used U bolts and clamped 1.5" diameter sumac tree to it. Its hard to find sumac that isnt rubbed and not knowing where to find willow in my area, the sumac was the choice. So far nothing. I had also heard anise oil is like catnip to deer, so one of the 2 sumac trees I poured some of that on and nothing. I did see some bucks on the cam in velvet, but since the acorns started dropping no buck pics for last 3wks.........


I personally think it is far harder to create a rub and get deer to use it then it is a licking branch. Location is everything. To me a rub is made out of frustration most of the time - or to remove velvet. True they fight brush to build up neck muscles, or at least I think they do, but there is no rhyme or reason for when and where a buck will rub - if he is walking, gets a whim or gets pissed - he may or may not rub or fight a bush. About the only real connection is that yearly used rubs are often on preferred travel routes (which should be noted). I have watched bucks walk right by rubs that are used yearly and pay them no mind - and yet at times I have seen them stop and re-hit them. Seldom have I seen a buck or doe that walks by a licking branch not pay some attention to it - most will at least have a sniff and many will chew it or rub their orbital gland on it.

However, a licking branch it totally different. It is a communication spot that a majority of deer use or will use. I would focus on them and let rubs happen where they happen. Or I would just create rubs around or in proximity to my licking branches. Most of the time, if I have the proper location, I can get the local deer to start using a licking branch/scrape.
User avatar
kenn1320
500 Club
Posts: 3474
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:19 am
Location: Shooting my bow (MI)
Status: Offline

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:54 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:Ive had cedar posts in for 3 or 4yrs, nothing ever touched them. I freshened them with real cedar oil and nothing. This year I drilled 1/4" holes on a downward angle to be holding pockets for the oil(thinking the scent would stay longer) and nothing has rubbed yet. I tried a new experiment this year and so far nothing. Since digging is a real chore in my area, I cut down some T post to about 20" and drove 1ft of that into the ground. I used U bolts and clamped 1.5" diameter sumac tree to it. Its hard to find sumac that isnt rubbed and not knowing where to find willow in my area, the sumac was the choice. So far nothing. I had also heard anise oil is like catnip to deer, so one of the 2 sumac trees I poured some of that on and nothing. I did see some bucks on the cam in velvet, but since the acorns started dropping no buck pics for last 3wks.........


I personally think it is far harder to create a rub and get deer to use it then it is a licking branch. Location is everything. To me a rub is made out of frustration most of the time - or to remove velvet. True they fight brush to build up neck muscles, or at least I think they do, but there is no rhyme or reason for when and where a buck will rub - if he is walking, gets a whim or gets pissed - he may or may not rub or fight a bush. About the only real connection is that yearly used rubs are often on preferred travel routes (which should be noted). I have watched bucks walk right by rubs that are used yearly and pay them no mind - and yet at times I have seen them stop and re-hit them. Seldom have I seen a buck or doe that walks by a licking branch not pay some attention to it - most will at least have a sniff and many will chew it or rub their orbital gland on it.

However, a licking branch it totally different. It is a communication spot that a majority of deer use or will use. I would focus on them and let rubs happen where they happen. Or I would just create rubs around or in proximity to my licking branches. Most of the time, if I have the proper location, I can get the local deer to start using a licking branch/scrape.


I agree. My mock scrapes and these rubs are in and around my food plots. Nothing more than for entertainment Dave. These are at my house and due to location and lack of cover I dont get pics or see bucks in day light anyway. I dont put any effort into hunting here, but take my son out now and again and hope a doe shows up.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, RadioHunter and 16 guests