My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
tim
500 Club

Re: My rubbing post & Licking branch project

Unread postby tim » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:00 am

thats interesting mike, my problem would be coming by a willow? im in western wisonsin and dont know that i ve ever seen a willow anyehere around my area to cut one and put it in.

sethg

Unread postby sethg » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:28 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Seth.....

One of the holes, I had a buddy with a cat dozer dig it in for me, about 20 yards down off the ridge. The plastic tubs I got at Menards (120 gal I think)..... I use to use a 55 gal barrel cut in two pieces ( length wise), but the deer would drink all of it up in about 2 weeks here in October, so I now went to more volume, I'm hoping to get over a month out of a fill up.....
Yes, I count on the rain to keep them full during the summer, because the deer don't seem to drink from them much then, but once October comes around, they pound them, so rain water would not be enough...... So I fill them up by hand, I can haul 6 five gal jugs of water on my 4 wheeler, and I usually try to fill them up around late morning or noon time...

The hole dug with the cat though, seems to hold enough water throughout the fall and rut time.... not sure what it holds for gallons, but I have never had to add to that one, as it must be deep enough and gets all the run off the hill from rain.....

cool. great strategy that is obviously working for you.

Was just curious if it was natural water or you hauling the water in, b/c in dan 's hill country video, they have that one waterhole up on the ridge. And i'm thinking that's gotta be rain water that fills that thing up. I couldn't imagine filling up a hole that big, unless you had a way to get a firetruck near it. Really like the water hole on a ridge strategy. Would love to put that in to play on a couple of my spots.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:40 am

sethg wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:Seth.....

One of the holes, I had a buddy with a cat dozer dig it in for me, about 20 yards down off the ridge. The plastic tubs I got at Menards (120 gal I think)..... I use to use a 55 gal barrel cut in two pieces ( length wise), but the deer would drink all of it up in about 2 weeks here in October, so I now went to more volume, I'm hoping to get over a month out of a fill up.....
Yes, I count on the rain to keep them full during the summer, because the deer don't seem to drink from them much then, but once October comes around, they pound them, so rain water would not be enough...... So I fill them up by hand, I can haul 6 five gal jugs of water on my 4 wheeler, and I usually try to fill them up around late morning or noon time...

The hole dug with the cat though, seems to hold enough water throughout the fall and rut time.... not sure what it holds for gallons, but I have never had to add to that one, as it must be deep enough and gets all the run off the hill from rain.....

cool. great strategy that is obviously working for you.

Was just curious if it was natural water or you hauling the water in, b/c in dan 's hill country video, they have that one waterhole up on the ridge. And i'm thinking that's gotta be rain water that fills that thing up. I couldn't imagine filling up a hole that big, unless you had a way to get a firetruck near it. Really like the water hole on a ridge strategy. Would love to put that in to play on a couple of my spots.

Just be careful on where you put them. If you have some points that jet out from your ridge, that's where the bucks will be bedded, so you want to be a little ways away, maybe 70-80 yards away with the waterhole. You need to get in your tree by the water without them seeing you.,. But yes, I find that these waterholes get hammered, especially from now until gun season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:18 am

Dreaming Bucks - do you have any streams/ponds on your property.... or is the the sole water source in the area?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:24 am

Bucky wrote:Dreaming Bucks - do you have any streams/ponds on your property.... or is the the sole water source in the area?

There is a creek down in the bottoms marshy area (not my land) about 400 yards away, the deer would also have to cross a county hwy to get there. So yes, my water I or the rain filling my tubs, are the only water they really have close by....
Rain is coming in right now, they say we might see 2" over the next few days, and that's perfect for me.

Mike

Unread postby Mike » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:32 am

tim wrote:thats interesting mike, my problem would be coming by a willow? im in western wisonsin and dont know that i ve ever seen a willow anyehere around my area to cut one and put it in.

Look in ditches, I think you said you have a valley on ur land, u could easily grow some at the bottom of the valley to transplant, they grow fast.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:04 am

Mike wrote:
tim wrote:thats interesting mike, my problem would be coming by a willow? im in western wisonsin and dont know that i ve ever seen a willow anyehere around my area to cut one and put it in.

Look in ditches, I think you said you have a valley on ur land, u could easily grow some at the bottom of the valley to transplant, they grow fast.

I see willows all the time in western Wisconsin

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:34 am

I watched a doe work my rope, and it shows signs of being chewed on. That only happened to 1 out of 3. I had oak branches on them as well and no bucks worked my mock scrapes at those locations, nor did they rub my posts. I removed the oak branches and all ropes but the one they used and replaced with fresh cut grape vine about 1" in diameter. I opened up scrapes below them and pee'd in one. Not a single buck on trail cam all yr, so not expecting much, but still fun to do.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:23 am

If you guys are on facebook, you need to check out "Cedar Post Rubs" page..... it doesn't look like it's very active anymore, but they have some awesome pictures on there of bucks rubbing on cedar post... very cool.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:39 am

Just wondering if anyone else is trying anything like this, this year?

My results from last year....... I wish they would have rubbed on the post, but I had no pictures of bucks rubbing on them, BUT, I had a ton of pictures of all kinds of different bucks scent checking the post and the ropes, as did the doe's... Looking forward to this year, to see if I get any better results as far as rubbing.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:45 am

Interesting forsure
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:02 am

Got to put a sign up saying "rub here" :D
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:14 pm

Very interesting would be fun to try this .
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Got to put a sign up saying "rub here" :D

For the bigger northern bucks, maybe put the sign six inches higher saying "rub here, eh?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist either! Very cool experiment!

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:07 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Got to put a sign up saying "rub here" :D

Hung that one in the bedroom last night. Didn't work. :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”