How Many Years, And How Old Were You?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN Slick

Re: How Many Years, And How Old Were You?

Unread postby MN Slick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:41 am

I started bow hunting in 1982 at age 12 but didn't connect until my 18th birthday with a lucky shot on a doe. I killed a doe with a rifle at age 17 on my first rifle hunt. I killed a buck and or doe with my bow each year after the first one but nothing over 2 years old until I started hunting Iowa in 1997.

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:54 am

I started when I was 13. When I was 14 I was hunting along on the ground and shot a fawn with my 30-30. It was so small an eagle was sitting over it when I came back with the guys. I think it was planning to pick it up and fly away.

Two years later at 16, I shot my first buck, a spiker. An hour later I killed a big 9-pt at point blank with my 30-30. Shooting that buck changed things. The next year I killed another nice buck - my first wall hanger... It was fun seeing my name on the big buck plaque we used to keep.

I started bow hunting when I was 20 and killed another fawn as the first... was very proud of all these deer. My firsts..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:34 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:I started when I was 13. When I was 14 I was hunting along on the ground and shot a fawn with my 30-30. It was so small an eagle was sitting over it when I came back with the guys. I think it was planning to pick it up and fly away.

Two years later at 16, I shot my first buck, a spiker. An hour later I killed a big 9-pt at point blank with my 30-30. Shooting that buck changed things. The next year I killed another nice buck - my first wall hanger... It was fun seeing my name on the big buck plaque we used to keep.

I started bow hunting when I was 20 and killed another fawn as the first... was very proud of all these deer. My firsts..

Bet my small Doe fawn was smaller than yours?

42 lbs. to be exact and damn proud of it (shot in the 1st week of Nov.)...

Almost doubled the size the following year at 62 lbs...
I shot both of these on the same land the Benoits hunt for BIG BUCKS - LOL :oops:
Best tasting deer ever!!!!!!!

Funny story...
The guy I was hunting w/ at the time had 12-big buck patches (+200 lb. gets a patch from NH), he is a similar type hunter as the Benoits w/ tracking as his forte'.
He was so embarrassed that he wouldn't go to the checking station with me.
When I got in the checking station I told everyone who I was hunting w/ and the rath of phone calls the following days was hilarious - check mate!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Ed - All I know is mine were whitetails... only smaller. :lol:
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:31 am

My first three bucks - back when good buck had me by 25-50 pounds. These bucks bring back a lot of really good memories!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:12 am

Ttt

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:00 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I started bowhunting when I was 12. I shot my first deer, a buck fawn, that fall after countless misses. Like most, I shot instinctive those days. While my skills were adequate on paper targets, I struggled to hit the broadside of a barn with a bow in my hand and a deer in range. The kids in the family were always encouraged to "shoot" and "learn to kill", so we did. We shot until our quivers were empty. Then we'd climb down, fill our quiver, climb the tree again, and continue shooting until we found success. We learned to track poorly hit animals and diagnose different types of blood trails. It was great way to learn. Shot my first good buck at age 13, sitting all day, shot him in the afternoon.

justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:36 am

Started hunting with my dad when I was 12 (1996), went to high school and lost interest until college. First deer was a doe when I was 19 years old. Shot a fork and a 6 pointer with the gun since then. Started bowhunting around 22. Shot a doe almost every year, no bucks yet.

Discovered the beast in October 2014. Planning on shooting that first bow buck this fall. :D
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:47 am

Bassboys thanx for bringing this back up. Spysar thanx for starting it. Enjoyed everyone's experiences. I started bowhunting back in 1972 at the age of 13. Ma didn't think that was old enough to gun hunt. Killed a doe fawn at 16. With my last arrow after missing the doe twice. Started gun hunting at 16 also. Shot my first buck with a bow at 18. A pretty basket rack 8 pt. 1.5 y.o. That same year I shot my first gun deer. A busted up heavy 2.5 y.o. Haven't killed what I consider a whopper yet. In 1986 I got a 120's gross 3.5 y.o. from northern Wi during gun season. Missed a handfull of big bucks up there the next couple of years bowhunting while I was back in my traditional phase. Caught elk fever and moved to Montana in 1989. Killed another 120's gross 3.5 y.o. off of the Montana State Prison ranch in 1991. This is an archery only zone that you could buy up to 5 tags for. Missed a 170's gross slob later that same year. No peep and didn't allow for the drop in anchor point caused by heavy wool mitts and facemask needed for the cold late December weather. I've killed 8 elk. 7 bulls, 5 while bowhunting. Nothing big. One 160's gross muley with a gun. Started having medical issues in the late '90's and missed a season here and there. Things gradually got worse and haven't hunted at all since 2009. Moved back to Wi. in 2011. Found The Hunting Beast in November last year. It's given me the drive to get back at it no matter how difficult it is. Thanx to all the Beast members for helping me to do this.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:49 am

I was 13 was a 6 point with broken points on his beam .otherwise would've been a 9 point Killed 4 non typical bucks from that stand.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:05 am

Started at the age of 12 in 1992. Quit gun hunting in 2010. No desire. Started bow hunting at the age of 17. Have 23 deer with the bow and 3 of those are decent bucks. Shot my first in 2001 I believe. 2 year old 8 pointer. I'd post pics but don't no how.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:15 am

stash59 wrote:Bassboys thanx for bringing this back up. Spysar thanx for starting it. Enjoyed everyone's experiences. I started bowhunting back in 1972 at the age of 13. Ma didn't think that was old enough to gun hunt. Killed a doe fawn at 16. With my last arrow after missing the doe twice. Started gun hunting at 16 also. Shot my first buck with a bow at 18. A pretty basket rack 8 pt. 1.5 y.o. That same year I shot my first gun deer. A busted up heavy 2.5 y.o. Haven't killed what I consider a whopper yet. In 1986 I got a 120's gross 3.5 y.o. from northern Wi during gun season. Missed a handfull of big bucks up there the next couple of years bowhunting while I was back in my traditional phase. Caught elk fever and moved to Montana in 1989. Killed another 120's gross 3.5 y.o. off of the Montana State Prison ranch in 1991. This is an archery only zone that you could buy up to 5 tags for. Missed a 170's gross slob later that same year. No peep and didn't allow for the drop in anchor point caused by heavy wool mitts and facemask needed for the cold late December weather. I've killed 8 elk. 7 bulls, 5 while bowhunting. Nothing big. One 160's gross muley with a gun. Started having medical issues in the late '90's and missed a season here and there. Things gradually got worse and haven't hunted at all since 2009. Moved back to Wi. in 2011. Found The Hunting Beast in November last year. It's given me the drive to get back at it no matter how difficult it is. Thanx to all the Beast members for helping me to do this.

got the scanner going.http://imageshack.com/a/img538/1929/Vx12zb.jpg Typical young buck from the old days. http://imageshack.com/a/img908/6098/u9BDWv.jpg First decent gun buck.http://imageshack.com/a/img661/7982/A2oppd.jpg First bowkilled elk. http://imageshack.com/a/img537/7020/hC90nw.jpg Best bowkilled whitetail. http://imageshack.com/a/img673/8294/9Jy6Kk.jpg First bowkilled bull. http://imageshack.com/a/img538/1813/gzaTc0.jpg Last bowkilled elk.
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:17 am

I grew up in family that hunted but my immediate family lived in another state and we didn't know many others to go with. I always wanted to hunt, like it was in my blood or something. Once I got married, I went a few years with my father-in-law's family (and still do) for gun season starting at age 27 in 2008. I got my first buck in 2010, a 9 point (thus my screenname) at 150 yards with a 243 a friend lent me that morning. I got my second buck in 2013, a 6 point with my own 30-30. Very proud of both.
I got hooked and wanted to do more hunting than just the 2 week gun season would allow. So i have been hunting bow season for the past two seasons on my own. I have learned a lot from this site since joining in December of 14 and hope it allows my to kill my first archery buck this coming fall, though I'd be very proud to take an archery doe as well.

Thanks to all for their contributions to my learning.

9pt
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:04 pm

Spysar wrote:How old were you when you started deer hunting? How many years did it take you to get a deer after you first started deer hunting? Include your first gun deer and first bow deer. AND how old were you when you got your first big buck? And how many years had you been hunting when you got your first big buck?

I was 13 at the time of my first (gun) deer hunt in 1975.

I shot my first deer (a buck) in 1978 with a gun.

My first big buck was 1983, gun, you do the math. ;)

I bought my first bow the summer of 1984.

Much has changed over the years. I never thought to take a picture until the big buck of 1983, maybe have only two of that one.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:30 pm

I shot my first deer, a doe fawn with a shotgun in 1994 when I was 12. That was the 1st year I was legal to hunt and I was extremely proud of that deer.
The next season I bowhunted unsuccessfully, but took another doe fawn shotgun hunting.
In '96 I took my first bow deer at 14 years old, a doe.

In '97 I arrowed my first buck, a fork buck. Spine shot at 12 yards. Due to party hunting I also took my first shotgun buck. It was a yearling 8 pointer. I made a 110 yard shot with an 870 wingmaster and smooth bore slug barrel. I tagged yearling bucks, some does, and a few random 2 yr old bucks here an there thru my high school and college years.

It wasn't until I moved to South Dakota in 2005 when my hunting picked up. In 2006 (24 years old) with my first rifle buck tag in hand, I shot an old 8 pointer that was passed his prime. That was my first truly big buck.

I had a nice string of bow kills in SD and MN from 2007-2011 some being smaller 2.5's on up to 120ish 3 year olds. I also killed a couple shooter whitetails and a big mulie while rifle hunting. Most of these were on public land.

2012 (30 yrs old, 17 yrs bowhunting) was the first time I wrapped my tag around a true P&Y buck. I grunted in and killed a nice 11 pointer in MN the morning before shotgun season opened.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”