bump n dump question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: bump n dump question

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:52 am

hunter10 wrote:So if I'm understanding this right.. If you bump a mature deer in the morning or midday hours you would best be to setup for him to hopefully return by dark. If you bump him on an afternoon hunt it would be better to just come back for a mornjng hunt the next day like andras hunt in the hill dvd?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Thats the idea in general, every bump is different but as far as returning back timing, not getting winded and how good is the bedding area all seem matter.

This is a great discussion! I would prefer to bump them in the evening so when they get up they just start going about there regular routine. Bumping them to early they have a tendency to go to another bedding area as JoeRE talked about having success. Though I am wondering about rut activities affecting his decision: Would he be more inclined to go cruising, then in turn doesnt come back for few days? Maybe another buck is in the other bedding area? Maybe he runs into does while re locating and things dont work in our favor? I have one example to share later on. Also, I have definitely noticed a difference in public vs private.

As Dan stated a "soft bump" is the goal, but you want to get a good look as well. Sneak in close but look like your just passing by. Walk steady, don't stop, don't walk directly at the buck bed. Sometimes you might get lucky and they stay put, you can just alter your route away. The tough part of it is that is actually works... we arent always planning to bump a buck so when it does happen sometimes werent prepared to make a setup, the weather could be bad the following days, wind is wrong the following days, etc... but its decision time when it happens. Do we trust our brain or our gut feelings? How many fresh sits can I get away w before he returns? Its all about making the right adjustment!

I am biased bc of one of my favorite exp but bumping the deer then pre setting a stand works. Its breaking the "beast rules" a bit but can be effective. I think whether to setup directly over the bed or down wind of the bed will vary by situation. Some of the best bedding areas cant be setup over due to the vegetation. If i was going to setup directly over a bed, id place the stand higher up the tree. You guys talked about different terrain bed settings working better than others, thats something would be hard to say yes or no about... BUT maybe farm bedding is better due to the food? As in he would be more inclined to return to that spot? Even though Andrea's giant on HC dvd was kind of hills mixed w farm setting - he was KING of that crp field on that ridge! So maybe a mixture of being the dominant animal, best bedding area, private land deer are variables that mattered there.

I bumped this young buck mid Nov, mid morning, sunny day/shaded bed, down wind of access trail. His bed is by far one of the coolest iv ever found and I kick my self for not taking a pic... Im pretty sure it was just a rut bed, though it had good ingredients. I shouldnt have walked into the bed but it was so worth seeing that it was so fresh the buck had laid down on top of a butterfly! Its wings were flapping slowly, but was flattened and unable to move. Ill never forget that... I figured he was watching does from there so for my evening sit I scouted w stand on my back at the bottom of the hill to look for sign. Found a rub line running parallel w a ditch and his hill side. So I setup. Couple hours later buddy texts says theres 15 deer coming my way, this guy came running through following his rubs line below his bed. The does he was chasing went another route yet he took this route... not sure if he was going back up the hill or short cutting to the does. On a map he basically did one big circle the rest of the day till I connected. He was my first and last deer ill shoot moving that fast...by far the worst and most unethical shot iv ever taken.
Red - Me
Orange - Bed
Blue - Travel
Yellow - Rub Line

This buck is from my first buck of my first beast season. Previous years I saw bucks in this spot out of shear luck, I was not hunting the wind so every time they busted me.
So I decided this was the spot. Mid Aug, midday I walked in w stand and there he stood. We were both equally shocked to see each other but there was no doubt he what I was looking for. I got the best look at him out of all the deer iv jumped. He ran up the hill w a trot, did not wind me. Im sure he stood up there and watched me set this stand. He was in hard antler for sure then. 3 weeks later was opening day, good moon day and it drizzled the night before so I was in like smoke. Grey light finally showed, I could just see the green pin lighting up then he came busting through like he was late for something. Stopped at 7 yds looked right up at me, turned his head and I connected. I still wonder if he would have been older whether it would have worked out so well? :think:

This buck is not a bump-n-dump but the way he checked his bed before entering and his caliber is relevant, I think. This dandy was shot in late season by my father in law w a muzzle loader, light snow on the ground. He scent checked his bed from the down wind only to then enter his bed and walked through it TWICE before deciding it was safe to his liking. Luckily my father in law was a ridge over and was able to witness the amazingness that is a truly mature buck's mentlity before entering his bed.

This season my wife might being some schooling so im assuming now that my hunting time may be very limited. Bc of this I am toying w more bump-n-dump sets / more aggressive attacks. IDk yet... im waiting to see what summer intel has to offer before making setting my goals.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:59 am

*Edit: Wanted to add that after seasons of attacking early season, mornings that iv underestimated their ability to sense things in the dark and willingness to milk the clock staging / j-hooking to the bedding area. Iv seen them lay down in open grass before entering the wood line or just stand there silently at a transition line. All while it is still 1-2 hrs before daylight. Iv even almost stepped on a young buck in his bed, only have him bounce out 60 yds and stand there all morning till the sun came up, shifted the wind to his favor and winded me. Never say never w deer, but they sure have things figured out heading to bed...
Carterh48
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carter.rankbull

Unread postby Carterh48 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:18 pm

This is a great tactic. I have used it on public tracts during early muzzleloader in SE Va. At first, I just stopped anytime I jumped a buck in case another buck came to use the bed. Then I noticed the same bucks would sometimes come back. It is thick and very poor buck to doe ratio in that part of the state so you had to make your own luck before the hounds got turned loose in rifle season. I would try walking with a quartering wind in my face to try to keep it a soft bump. It seems to me as long as they don't wind you there was a chance they would come back. A soft bump is a win for the buck.That is why he bedded there. Why not come back to the spot that just worked the way you wanted it to? We go back to good stands.

For example: With a NW wind I would walk N. Jump buck and he runs Northish. I would then get as far to the SW of the bed as I could and still have a shot. Most of the time the bucks seemed to come back from the SE/S sent checking the area (J hooking to the bed).

If I had to put odds on it 1/2 of the time they did not come back, 1/4 they came far enough to the S to wind me, and 1/4 of the time it worked.

Disclaimer: These were not mature bucks. I only saw 2 mature bucks in the 5 years I hunted in Va.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:27 am

dan wrote:
Widerack wrote:On average, how long does it take before he attempts to come back?

I have had them come back in an hour, and I have had them wait till just before dark.

I think they trust there bedding area as safe... This works best with a soft bump. They are not quite sure what you are. I think its ok if they see you as long as you don't appear to be slowly stalking them. But if they smell you, I think its low odds. They don't trust there eye sight like there nose. I think they want to wait till the danger is gone and then come in and smell the ground scent to see exactly what was pestering there bedding area....

This tactic was not something I came up with, it was more Andrae. He bumps bucks and then hunts them the next morning as everyone already knows, but he likes to set the stand up after busting the buck and he just started sitting the stands till dark since he set them up and started noticing a lot of the time they came back the same day, and if they did not, possibly the next morning...

I think when you soft bump them if they don't have another great bedding spot close by they don't want to go wandering around in daylight danger so they go to where its thick near the bed and listen to see if the danger passes by or is still there. After a while of no smell or sight or hearing of trouble they sneak back to see if the coast is clear...

When there is good bedding close by, that might be a deer that returns the next morning.

I think your right dan with the soft bump its like youve said in a podcast. You hear a twig snap behind you and know its a deer you wait 15-25 minutes and nothing comes out after 30 minutes you forget about it. Just like a buck will eventually forget what happened if it wasn’t a scent bust. Cause also like youve said. They dont always trust eyes or ears. But they always trust their because their noses confirms danger.
sbeasley

Unread postby sbeasley » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:21 pm

I pulled off my first bump and dump this fall, SE Ohio public, shotgun season, opening day. Joined the Beast three years ago, have read a ton, scouted alot, waiting for the fruits of labor.
On opening day wind was SW wet and blustery, I knew it wasn't worth hunting behind the house because of wind direction, decided best bet was a 30 minute drive to public. I have NEVER hunted this spot but knew from scouting 2 years ago a SW wind might hold a buck. Haven't hunted this public in 20 plus years so had no idea of expected hunting pressure. Arrived 10 minutes before legal light, truck parked where I desired. Drove quarter mile further and hit the woods. Sat for 2.5 hours with no action, heard some distant shots. Decided to work towArds bedding despite other truck some distance away, figured they would have moved by now.
With wet leaves, and windy ridge, moving was stealthy. Approached edge of bedding and tried to maneuver first sapling. Saw shooter rack sneak out the other side, can never go too slow. My mentality was positive, the Beast was right about localle. Snuck thru bedding hoping to catch up. Within 10 minutes bumped him AGAIN! This time tail up, possibly a doe or two. 8 minutes and 100 yards from initiall bump, told myself slow down dummy!!! Second bump proved to me he wasn't going very far initially, he hadn't smelled me and bump was gentle. Second bump slightly worse but the Beast spoke to me, he's coming back!!! I moved downhill 20 yards because everything above was very steep. 30 minutes later saw deer approaching, shooter rack, decent pace. I fully expected sneaking slowly downwind, this deer in a hurry. Made best shot at 90 yards on moving deer thru 25 year old cutover.
Moral of story, 99% sure this was buck I bumped. Walked up on a perfect 10 with a sticker on his brow. Had no way of judgeing this when I shot. Count points on the ground. Deer grosses 130, nets 125. Have sent the teeth away for aging, possibly 5.5 year old. Big woods hill country deer eat acorns and twigs, his teeth are worn.
3 years ago would not have known to hunt this spot, on correct wind or play it calm after bump. Maybe just real lucky but if I was successful 1/5 times in similar attempts, I'd have to add on a trophy room. I know of a lot more beds.

With a bow this would be difficult. I would expect them to return slower and more wary. If I still have tag next gun season, look out!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:55 pm

sbeasley wrote:I pulled off my first bump and dump this fall, SE Ohio public, shotgun season, opening day. Joined the Beast three years ago, have read a ton, scouted alot, waiting for the fruits of labor.
On opening day wind was SW wet and blustery, I knew it wasn't worth hunting behind the house because of wind direction, decided best bet was a 30 minute drive to public. I have NEVER hunted this spot but knew from scouting 2 years ago a SW wind might hold a buck. Haven't hunted this public in 20 plus years so had no idea of expected hunting pressure. Arrived 10 minutes before legal light, truck parked where I desired. Drove quarter mile further and hit the woods. Sat for 2.5 hours with no action, heard some distant shots. Decided to work towArds bedding despite other truck some distance away, figured they would have moved by now.
With wet leaves, and windy ridge, moving was stealthy. Approached edge of bedding and tried to maneuver first sapling. Saw shooter rack sneak out the other side, can never go too slow. My mentality was positive, the Beast was right about localle. Snuck thru bedding hoping to catch up. Within 10 minutes bumped him AGAIN! This time tail up, possibly a doe or two. 8 minutes and 100 yards from initiall bump, told myself slow down dummy!!! Second bump proved to me he wasn't going very far initially, he hadn't smelled me and bump was gentle. Second bump slightly worse but the Beast spoke to me, he's coming back!!! I moved downhill 20 yards because everything above was very steep. 30 minutes later saw deer approaching, shooter rack, decent pace. I fully expected sneaking slowly downwind, this deer in a hurry. Made best shot at 90 yards on moving deer thru 25 year old cutover.
Moral of story, 99% sure this was buck I bumped. Walked up on a perfect 10 with a sticker on his brow. Had no way of judgeing this when I shot. Count points on the ground. Deer grosses 130, nets 125. Have sent the teeth away for aging, possibly 5.5 year old. Big woods hill country deer eat acorns and twigs, his teeth are worn.
3 years ago would not have known to hunt this spot, on correct wind or play it calm after bump. Maybe just real lucky but if I was successful 1/5 times in similar attempts, I'd have to add on a trophy room. I know of a lot more beds.

With a bow this would be difficult. I would expect them to return slower and more wary. If I still have tag next gun season, look out!!!

Congrats...
sbeasley

Unread postby sbeasley » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:01 am

[img]Zbuck[/img]
Thanks Dan. Cant say enough about how generous you are with your knowledge and time. You educate hunters, most others only try to entertain ...for a reason ($$$)

By the way, I bumped this buck at 9:45 am and then again at 9:53. Made the shot at 10:20. I was in the woods for quite awhile after that and no one else came along. I really don't think he was pushed back to me. I would say that next time I bump a buck, I would go further downwind than just 20 yards, perhaps 60-80. I still had to make a 90 yard shot on a moving deer thru the woods which is no chip shot. Keeping the shot under 50 yards always provides a much bigger target.

To me, bumping a deer in the morning or mid day would be more likely to see him return before dark - there's still a lot of nap time left to go. I would think if you bumped him too close to sunset, he would just get an early start on his night time routine.

I understand in open ag country a buck might run a mile to the next woods. In big woods hill country that we have, I see bump and dump being easier perhaps. A deer can run anywhere to hide behind the next tree, draw or ridge. There's just something about the security of a chosen bed. As mentioned earlier, a soft bump actually proves to the buck that his resting place was well chosen. Its almost like we are using their best defense mechanisms to their disadvantage.

This hunt just fell into place like it was meant to be. We've all had seasons where everything seemed to go the buck's way. With only one tag in Ohio, I'm not sure how often I will get to try this with a gun but believe me, I will. I'm curious how many beds need checked / actual bumps it will take to repeat success?

Thanks to all Beasts. You have contributed to another buck's demise
sbeasley

Unread postby sbeasley » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:10 am

[img]Zbuck[/img]
sbeasley

Unread postby sbeasley » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:12 am

:roll: :roll: not sure why this isn't working. Following directions step by step?
sbeasley

Unread postby sbeasley » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:26 am

[img]2018%20closeup[/img]
sbeasley

Unread postby sbeasley » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:39 am

sbeasley

Unread postby sbeasley » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:41 am

can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong to post photos from the HB Photo Gallery. I'm selecting the "insert image" icon and pasting the filename in between???

thx
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:51 am

sbeasley wrote:can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong to post photos from the HB Photo Gallery. I'm selecting the "insert image" icon and pasting the filename in between???

thx

The picture above was made by posting this link: http://photos.thehuntingbeast.com/album ... seup~0.jpg And puting the IMG's around it.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:59 am

Sometimes I wonder if this wouldn’t be the best strategy to intentionally use on out of state hunts where you don’t know the ground you are going on aside from looking at maps.
Walk with a stand on your back until you do bump a good one and Setup...repeat the process everyday. Just a thought, but not one I’ve had the courage to try and execute.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:18 am

I have a question with this. Lets say you know of a decent bedding area and typically have bucks in it. Lets say the area is very hard to hunt and get too. Can you pre hang a set like now/early summer and wait for the perfect wind and basically go in and bump a buck mid day and hunt it that night and the next morning and hopes he comes back?
I have a bedding area i would like to try this early season because it holds good deer early but very hard to get too. Thats why i was thinking a pre hung stand that way i can hope to bump him working my way to that stand and hopes he returns.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”