What do y'all think about Tree Saddles?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sneaky

What do y'all think about Tree Saddles?

Unread postby Sneaky » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:42 am

Anyone use one? What's good and bad about them?

They seem very mobile and versatile, to me. Since I will be taking my stand in and out with me every time, and I will be hunting different spots all the time, it seems this would be a good option. I tend to get very interested in this thing, and then I end up losing interest thinking that I will just end up liking a regular stand better. I just can't decide. Seems a lot of people like them, but a lot of people don't. I thought I would ask y'all, since I know most of you guys are pretty hardcore.

dreaming bucks

Re: What do y'all think about Tree Saddles?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:49 am

Black squirrel ?
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am

I also been thinking about this, but would like to try one out first. I know a guy that has one he loves it. You would still need climbing sticks or screw in steps to get up the tree thou. He said he goes out and puts steps in the trees he thinks he will hunt out of way before the season begins. He also stated that when he figures out where in the tree he wants to be, he will put steps all the way around the tree so he can shoot from any side without the problem of no footing to brace yourself. I just think that a stand and sticks seems much easier.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:36 am

Yes, I use the Tree Saddle, and I love it! It does take a little getting used to, and learning how to set it up quickly and quietly. I have lone wolf sticks for climbing on public land, or trees where I can't use tree steps. Other wise I cut 1/2" rebar, into 7" pieces. I have a 28V Milwaukee cordless drill, that I use to pre drill the holes into trees, on an upward angle, then just slide the rebar into the hole and you have your steps. I like to use regular tree steps for the platform. I use a minimum of 4, more if needed. I prep all my trees in early spring, but can also run and gun if needed. You never have to worry about someone stealing your stand. It is very safe because you are always attached to the tree from the ground up. I really like the monuverability of it. When properly set up, you can shoot 360 degrees around the tree. I try to keep the tree between me and the deer. I feel this breaks up my outline very well. Like I said earlier it does take getting use too, and they are not for everyone, some people just don't feel comfortable in them. I have hang on stands and ladder stands as well, but I prefer to hunt out of the Tree Saddle over all other stands.
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:07 am

Thanks.

It seems like most of the guys that used them long enough to get used to them prefer them over regular stands. I think I'm just going to have to try one and see what I think.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:21 pm

I love mine. I hunt from it exclusively now and wouldn't change. Nothing quieter or lighter, it's cloth...LOL
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:39 pm

I really like my tree saddle. Last year was my first year using it and the learning curve on it was not bad at all plus I was amazed by how comfortable it is.

The one I bought is the Stealth Realtree with the neoprene and this gets kinda hot on warmer days so I am thinking about getting the Ambush mesh saddle which is thinner and much lighter.(1 1/2 lbs compared to 4 1/2 lbs for the neoprene)

I use 8-12 Cranford rope on steps to climb the tree and 3-4 screw in steps for the top platform to pivot around the tree.

The tree saddle is great but make sure you practice shooting out of it before you hunt. I noticed my arrows were impacting differently due to shooting at weird angles when I was up in the tree. Most of the problem was me with my shooting form.

If anybody here has a Medium or Large Ambush Saddle they want to sell please PM me. I have been watching eBay but not too many available. I don't want to buy a brand new one if I can find a good used one.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:11 pm

My first five hunts out of one I killed deer on each hunt. They do take some getting used to. On an all day sit I would prefer a stand. But on a morning or evening sit its great.

I wear mine every hunt now as a safety harness. I really like the connection at my belt level instead of up on my back like the safety vests. A lot easier to manuver. And I feel really safe wearing this thing.

Buy one somewhere you can try it on. I bought the Large and it seems a bit big for me. I would like to try on a medium to see how it fits. On the sizing chart I am inbetween sizes though.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:53 pm

I bought a Sneaky Sak about 15-years ago. It is similar to the treesling but is lighter in weight. I killed my largest buck with bow while using the sneaky sak. A great tool to have in your backpack while scouting, so if you come across a hotspot and it needs to be hunted now, you can quickly and quietly have a set-up. I like them.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:29 am

GRUD wrote:
Buy one somewhere you can try it on. I bought the Large and it seems a bit big for me. I would like to try on a medium to see how it fits. On the sizing chart I am inbetween sizes though.

They do run large. I have seen them at Cabelas, if you have one near you. I also bought one at Sportsmans Wharehouse before they went out of business. They had a great deal, I think I paid $89 for it. I originally bought the neoprene, but switched to a mesh one, because it is cooler, and lighther.
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:49 am

I was thinking I'd get the mest one since it doesn't get too cold around here. There is a Cabela's in Fort Worth, but I don't remember seeing any there. I need to go up there, anyway. I'll just have to look for them.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:13 am

I prefer bareback, but if I'm going on a long ride, the saddle is nice to have.

On a serious note, I think it's an innovative idea, but a couple cons come to mind, such as mobility. Understandably, that's the concept behind the saddle, but sound is such a big factor and so is movement. If you're comfortable enough to hang in the tree all day instead of sitting with a backrest, what happens when your facing one way and the deer comes from the other? When you move around to get the angle, you're not only creating visual movement but risk noise pollution from rubbing on the tree as you manouver.

Furthermore, what about getting positioned for the shot? You're right handed and you need to shoot to your right. You can't make it around the tree the other way because of some limbs or risk of being seen. You now have to push out from the tree and keep balanced with your leg while you take aim between your body and the tree - you're uncomfortable and have to focus on the shot, staying still and not slipping.

How many bark silencers would one need to avoid the noise pollution or all this moving around? Not to say the straps and saddle are loud, I understand their cloth, but your feet and pressing on the tree as you manouver into position seems like it would be.

You're hunting in a V-split tree. You climb up, and lean on the opposite tree as the one you're connected to. Your feet are pressed against the other for balance and to keep you positioned as such. Your ankles fall asleep or grow soar... You become fidgety.

I suppose it may be great for some, but it's not for me.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:11 am

I have never personally experienced any of the problems you are describing. I am not trying to be argumentative, as you are free to hunt however you like. When I used to set stands, they were set based upon expected deer movement. I do the same with the saddle carefully selecting my tree and the position I will sit based upon my scouting. I have honestly never had to take advantage of swinging 360 degrees around the tree to get in to place for the shot. There have been a few times that I have set myself up to intentionally let the deer walk past me before getting in position for the shot, but that is usually dictated by a terrain feature. I have never had to make any more movement then I did to stand up and draw from a hang on stand. I have never had any issue with noise or discomfort from the saddle. I have sat in the saddle for 13 hours before. Every few hours I may shift my body weight but that is no different then standing up after a few hours on stand. I did have some discomfort on my feet the first time out using screw in steps and would also just shift my weight every once in a while to remedy that. Since switching to the climb paws that is a non-issue altogether though. You are definitely welcome to your opinions and I was as skeptic as anyone, but this really is a product you have to at least try if you get the opportunity. The two biggest selling features for me was the weight which allows me to be infinitely more mobile, and how quiet the thing is. Everything else is just a bonus. One more quick note on stand placement. I have a rule of thumb for myself whether in a hang on or my saddle. My personal rule is that if the deer can or do come at you from any direction, I am in the wrong tree. Rarely will you find a situation where you need to shoot in all directions if you have done any scouting. I have about 30 trees picked out for this fall and every one of them were chosen for my advantage based upon terrain features, thermals and specific winds as well as known deer movement to make a shot behind me very unlikely. That is just one more thing I have to credit Dan and the other Beasts I have learned from here. Even on new land I never just walk in and set up. I have scouted even if it is aerial and topo and base everything on the wind and terrain after I get in there.....Definitely been advantageous and something that has opened up a lot of doors for me in the woods.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:02 am

I used to own one........

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Singing Bridge loaned me one last year. I need to try it (I didnt give it back yet).

Sam, I think it will take a few BARK Silencers as well. But the users say they dont make noise with them. I will try it soon and take my decibel meter to find out just how quiet.

I am always amazed at how hunters think they are quiet on stand, yet line their bows with rubber thingys, which helps them not - before the shot
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”