What do y'all think about Tree Saddles?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dewey

Re: What do y'all think about Tree Saddles?

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:41 pm

Sam Ubl wrote:
I suppose it may be great for some, but it's not for me.

Are you speaking from experience? Did you try one?
That's exactly what I used to say until I tried one. It took a few times using my tree saddle before I realized the benefits and really found out how comfortable it really was.
Noise is definately not a factor. Try one and if you are using it properly you will see how silent they can be.
I agree that it may not be for everyone but I think everybody should try one and they may be pleasantly surprised.
If you hunt a lot of private land and don't move around to different trees alot it's probably not for you and fixed position stands are probably better. Tree saddles are the ultimate for going deep into public land without all kinds of excess weight to carry and set up time is faster than any other type of stand.

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:40 am

No, I have not tried one yet so my opinion may be skewed a bit. Based on the demo video and pictures of people modeling the saddle for advertisements, I don't see much comfort, but then again, I don't like shooting sitting down so I imagine hanging would be no better for me - imagine is the key word.

IndianaHunter, good inputs - understandably, scouting helps and I'm close to certain we ALL agree with the benefits of it, however, it sounds limiting if you have to hang in a direction where you "scouted" deer coming from. Since nature doesn't always move in a routine like clock-work, what if the unexpected happens and the big boy you've never seen before sneaks in from behind? Do you have to pass because the shot wasn't where you scouted?

I guess I'm curious as to how you can hang from the tree and not rub against it unless you're pressing away somehow - I'm trying not to be a doubter, just trying to get a peice of mind before I take your advise and try one.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:26 am

Zap wrote:I used to own one........

marty

I tried mine....

Not for me.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:47 am

i had one, it requires to much movement for a shot, and facing the tree is... well, kinda stupid. LW assualt for me.
You can't kill em on the couch
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:12 am

Zap wrote:
Zap wrote:I used to own one........

marty

I tried mine....

Not for me.

marty

What did you not like about it?

I want to hear the bad as well as the good. I go back and forth on this....on whether I think it will work for me or not.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:14 am

Sam Ubl wrote:IndianaHunter, good inputs - understandably, scouting helps and I'm close to certain we ALL agree with the benefits of it, however, it sounds limiting if you have to hang in a direction where you "scouted" deer coming from. Since nature doesn't always move in a routine like clock-work, what if the unexpected happens and the big boy you've never seen before sneaks in from behind? Do you have to pass because the shot wasn't where you scouted?

I guess I'm curious as to how you can hang from the tree and not rub against it unless you're pressing away somehow - I'm trying not to be a doubter, just trying to get a peice of mind before I take your advise and try one.

No worries man, I don't take it personal, but I am a strong advocate now. I looked at these things for years and just couldn't convince myself to even try it based on some of the same concerns you have. I am not saying anyone is being dishonest, but I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone has to make too much movement or any noise in the thing. To answer your question, No I don't have to give anything up to get a shot. I have never had to go around a tree 360 degrees, but other then that it really is no different, requires no more movement, and is no more awkward then hang on stands. If a deer comes in from a direction I am not expecting, I simply wait for the opportune time to draw and make a shot just as I did when a deer would sneak up on me in the hang on stand. If I had another one to let you borrow I would let you try it. Ask Big Daddy Yo-Yo I mailed him the other one I had to try for several months to decide if he was going to like it or not and he sent me check for it if that tells you anything. I am happy to answer any questions you may have, but don't feel that I am offended if you are doubtful or just don't like the concept. You have to hunt with what gives you confidence. I support the product but am not sponsored by anyone, so I will be honest 100%
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:10 am

i could go on and on about movement needed in the saddle... but riddle me this. tell me about drawing your bow, with a strap coming from the tree to your waist area. drawing a bow, and just LOOKING around requires a ton more movement. I used it 30+ times last year and defended that thing like you wouldnt beleive... but after a while, I saw the drawbacks. I went back to my fav combo, my 3rd set. Assualt and Sticks. I also LOVE to stand in the treestand and lean against the tree while hunting, especially at prime time. I just flip the seat, and relax. No tree in my junk, or straps in my way. I know people love that thing, but the only advanatge is being light... thats it. If you want light, I recommend a light hang on such as assualt or even alpha and some sticks... which you need anyway with the saddle. To each his own, but there is NO way I could be convinced there isnt more movement... heck watch there videos closley on the website. I am 100% honest on treestand reviews, Ive had most major players and used a wide variety all the way back to steel hangons and that danegrous loggy you had to 'shimmy' up a tree. LW until something better comes along for me.
You can't kill em on the couch
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:30 am

I will say this. I have found a few scenarios where a saddle is not the best choice. Such as in little trees that you can't get very high in. Like the one Dan sat in to kill that buck in the "Marsh Bucks Video". For that you really need something line a LW. Other then that I just have not had the issues everyone is having. But hey it really doesn't matter, what ever gives you the most confidence and works best for your style of hunting. I am certainly not going to discredit the LW and sticks they are an amazing combo. If a fella wanted one kind of stand for all situations then I would personally recommend the LW and sticks. For hill country or long hikes I fond the saddle is pretty hard to beat, but that's just me. : )
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sat May 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Movement isn't even an issue if you're aware of your surroundings and know where the deer are. Obviously this person who thinks the saddle blows your movement gets easily distracted in the field because he doesn't spot the game before it spots him. I am both a fan of the saddle and LW.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon May 16, 2011 12:35 am

Interesting comments on the saddle. I would say that I have yet to be picked off in mine by a deer. I think when set up right you are close to the tree and blend in with the trunk more than with a stand. I also feel that I am able to hunt lower and hide better because of this if the tree is large enough.

A stand is probably more comfortable and yes I do need to shift my weight fairly often to remain confortable on long sits. I think the movement might be critical if you are really low and in a small tree.

Moving to shoot has been a non issue for me. Being right handed, you cannot shoot to the right with the strap in the way, but you can easily move around the tree to the left just far enough to get the shot off.

For me, I just wear it every hunt as a safety harness anyway and if I want to hunt out of it I just leave the stand behing. It's not for everyone but I like it and it has been a great tool for me , just like my climber and ground blind. Different situations require different set ups.
PEAKRUT

Unread postby PEAKRUT » Mon May 16, 2011 11:41 am

I've had a long winter so my fat is afraid to even think of trying one at this point in time. :-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 16, 2011 12:01 pm

PEAKRUT wrote:I've had a long winter so my fat is afraid to even think of trying one at this point in time. :-)

:lol: Good stuff PEAKRUT!
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed May 18, 2011 6:51 am

Never tried one. I have always wanted to though.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Wed May 18, 2011 8:41 am

Anyone ever self filmed out of one? Kind of curious.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed May 18, 2011 10:02 am

UPbowhunter wrote:Anyone ever self filmed out of one? Kind of curious.

I haven't yet, but am going to try this comming season. I have purchased Dan's camera arm to help out. I haven't set up to practice yet, but envision the arm clamped on the opposite side ot the tree, and then swing the arm around to my right, so I can adjust the head to where I think the deer will be when I shoot. So, kinda like bow in left hand, camera controled with right hand. I saw a you tube video on it awhile back looked pretty effcient. I'm sure there will be some snags I'll have to work out. For me the shot trumps filming, so if I can't get it on film oh well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”