how much do you like killing deer ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

how much do you like killing deer ?

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:04 pm

Im not gonna sugar coat it... i love killing deer. I love eating deer n sometimes i actually visualize them as walking packs of steaks n burger. I still get pumped taking down a doe after 25 plus yrs of hunting. Anyone else think this way ? I hope it never goes away.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Re: how much do you like killing deer ?

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:52 pm

I hear you! I enjoy killing them too, it takes up most of my thoughts for sure. I got engaged on NY's former opening bow date of 10/15 so I could remember it:-) There's no way I would forget opening day.....

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:59 pm

Not as blood thirsty as I use to be ;) but still very much enjoy putting meat on the table.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:25 pm

I must admit, I'm a softy when it comes to this one. I hate shooting does. I feel bad for them. Throw some horns on their heads and its all different. I enjoy the battle of wits. I feel like a mature buck has the upper hand to start with so it doesn't bother me to take them down.

I better add that I don't have a problem at all with others shooting does. Just doesn't interest me.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:39 pm

I love the chase and the chess match of the hunt. I usually do not kill does. I have nothing against it, but on the public I hunt I usually do not kill them. That being said if I was short on meat I would whack one.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:44 pm

PredatorTC wrote:I must admit, I'm a softy when it comes to this one. I hate shooting does. I feel bad for them. Throw some horns on their heads and its all different. I enjoy the battle of wits. I feel like a mature buck has the upper hand to start with so it doesn't bother me to take them down.

I better add that I don't have a problem at all with others shooting does. Just doesn't interest me.

You and I think alike on this. I've been saying I want to kill a doe with my recurve all season but then end up setting up on buck beds just to have an encounter with them even though I had no tag to kill one. For me these encounters and getting in a bucks zone is what it's all about. The kill is not nearly as important to me anymore. Never had the wackem and stackem mentality. Give me 2 deer a year and I am thrilled.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:50 pm

I let a lot of deer walk this season....so far.

Maybe I am getting soft?
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:51 pm

Dewey wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:I must admit, I'm a softy when it comes to this one. I hate shooting does. I feel bad for them. Throw some horns on their heads and its all different. I enjoy the battle of wits. I feel like a mature buck has the upper hand to start with so it doesn't bother me to take them down.

You and I think alike on this. I've been saying I want to kill a doe with my recurve all season but then end up setting up on buck beds just to have an encounter with them even though I had no tag to kill one. For me these encounters and getting in a bucks zone is what it's all about. The kill is not nearly as important to me anymore. Never had the wackem and stackem mentality. Give me 2 deer a year and I am thrilled.

A mature doe is just as smart as a mature buck. Sometimes Even smarter IMO, plus they have all those eyes traveling with them..... I love killing heavy old does, just as much as bucks! "Shoot to kill! shoot to thrill!"

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:42 pm

Dewey wrote:

I can defiantly relate Dewey. I had a doe within range with the recurve one evening and I just didn't end up shooting.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:53 pm

I only kill a fraction of the bucks I see, so I'm not a psychopath. I get more enjoyment out of the anticipation of the hunt than the kill.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:00 pm

Stanley wrote:I only kill a fraction of the bucks I see, so I'm not a psychopath.

:think:

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:46 pm

I get a ton of satisfaction out of making a swift clean kill, knowing that i did my part efficiently as the predator in the food chain. Dont get me wrong im not out to kill everything in the woods, i enjoy seeing them living and breathing up close and personal more than anything. And i really hate to see them suffer from a bad shot, gives me a sick feeling when it happens but its all part of the ups and downs of hunting for me.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:31 am

I like hunting them always have liked it. Any deer with a bow is a trophy. But, I'm not as mad at them as I once was when I was younger.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:45 am

Stanley wrote:I only kill a fraction of the bucks I see, so I'm not a psychopath. I get more enjoyment out of the anticipation of the hunt than the kill.

Me too. Pulling the trigger is actually not a part of the game I particularly enjoy. There is a moment during an encounter where you choose to take (or try to) an animal or let it walk. That moment when I decide yes is the true apex. As far as seeing them as walking burgers.... guilty as charged.

I enjoy the whole process of the hunt. I might enjoy when I enter new territory to scout and start finding good deer sign as much as the actual pulling of the trigger. Definitely, for me, the anticipation is much more exciting than the actual .... Climax if you will....

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:16 am

[glow=red]ALOT![/glow]
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”