Must HAVE equipment

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vanceg

Re: Must HAVE equipment

Unread postby vanceg » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:55 am

Merino wool and a weapon.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Lacrosse Aerohead boots. Best knee high rubber boot I ever owned.

New this fall and with about 60 miles on them can say I would honestly wear them everyday.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:13 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:Lacrosse Aerohead boots. Best knee high rubber boot I ever owned.

New this fall and with about 60 miles on them can say I would honestly wear them everyday.

Good to hear you like them. I am looking to replace my Mucks and these are on my list to check out.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Dewey wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:Lacrosse Aerohead boots. Best knee high rubber boot I ever owned.

Good to hear you like them. I am looking to replace my Mucks and these are on my list to check out.

I would still look at the older alpha burly's. They are about the only ALL rubber lacrosse boots left. The neoprene is nice but it will rip from sticks. I just bought another pair to replace my old ones. I had them for 8 years and would wear them hunting and every day in winter, to walk my dog and shed hunt after work. I bet I honestly got close to 800 miles out of them. The best boot out their in my opinion.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:32 pm

adrenalin wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I would still look at the older alpha burly's. They are about the only ALL rubber lacrosse boots left. The neoprene is nice but it will rip from sticks. I just bought another pair to replace my old ones. I had them for 8 years and would wear them hunting and every day in winter, to walk my dog and shed hunt after work. I bet I honestly got close to 800 miles out of them. The best boot out their in my opinion.

I have an older pair of Alpha Burly's and a pair of Muck Woody Max. They are both pretty much destroyed and patched up numerous times. I am really hard on boots for some reason and haven't found a good pair of rubber boots yet that hold up. Punctures seem to be my biggest problem on rubber and neoprene.

Gonna have to start up a rubber boot thread. :think:

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Dewey wrote:
adrenalin wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I have an older pair of Alpha Burly's and a pair of Muck Woody Max. They are both pretty much destroyed and patched up numerous times. I am really hard on boots for some reason and haven't found a good pair of rubber boots yet that hold up. Punctures seem to be my biggest problem on rubber and neoprene.

The new aeroheads I are not rubber but similar to neoprene. I have (2) old pair of alpha burleys and they were good boots but the aerheads outshine in weight and comfort. The sole is amazing.

When going thru mainly wooded terrain I wear my pants over the boots. Can't comment on how sticks/brush will affect them.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:39 pm

Garmin gps
compass
wind shear wool layer
Rayovac head lamp
Small notebook with all my scouting info
Lacrosse rubber boots
Range finder
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:
adrenalin wrote:
Dewey wrote:

. They actually make great boots no matter what model you pick.

The new aeroheads I are not rubber but similar to neoprene. I have (2) old pair of alpha burleys and they were good boots but the aerheads outshine in weight and comfort. The sole is amazing.

When going thru mainly wooded terrain I wear my pants over the boots. Can't comment on how sticks/brush will affect them.

Yes I tried them on. They are lighter, just thought the all rubber seemed more durable for punctures which is important to me being in the marsh. Wet feet in November is never fun. They actually make great boots no matter what model you pick.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:14 pm

Wallet
Car keys
Cell phone
Condoms

Seriously though if I had to start over I really like a GPS, head lamp, my swing blade knife, my LW climber(like it more then my alpha and sticks) and my asat elite coat/pants.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:18 pm

Which do you guys like more, Merino wool or Under Armour? I've been using under armor the past few years but just picked up some merino wool. Does it have to be the base layer to work or just anyone of your layers?

I use a Fenix PD35 as my flashlight. Picked it up on ebay for around $50 and honestly couldn't be happier. We blood trailed a deer last month and they were amazed at the light it threw off. Wish I would have gone one sooner.
utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Bucky wrote:What are some "high" quality pieces of gear that you would definetly buy again if lost or broken

1. Merino wool
2. Buck knife
3. Wicked Gear Handsaw
4. LW Alpha/sticks
5. Fleece or merino wool balaclava

Anyone got a recommendation on hand held light.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0063EUMFU

I'd recommend this flashlight to anyone. I know there's plenty of options out there, but this thing is great. Inexpensive, bright as ..120 lumens, pocket clip. Momentary switch (you can tap or blip, if you will) which is necessary for a hunting light if you ask me. I have one in my Swat vest and liked it so much I bought one for my hunting pack, too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Bucky, I have a Browning Hunt Master hand held light. Super bright, about 7" long with wide lens end that is adjustable . Plenty light to track a buck . Got it at Gander and it wasn't cheap but is so bright I won't go an evening hunt without it. It says ANSI 300L which I believe is the Lumen brightness.
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Bigb wrote:Which do you guys like more, Merino wool or Under Armour? I've been using under armor the past few years but just picked up some merino wool. Does it have to be the base layer to work or just anyone of your layers?

I use a Fenix PD35 as my flashlight. Picked it up on ebay for around $50 and honestly couldn't be happier. We blood trailed a deer last month and they were amazed at the light it threw off. Wish I would have gone one sooner.

I think merino works best as the primary base layer with other layers over it as needed. It even works great when wet too :lol: :oops:
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:36 pm

1. GWW Wools
2. GWW wolfskin suits
3. Kenetrek Northern Pac Boots
4. LW Sit & Climb with flip seat
5. Cheap(ish) fleece balaclava (I bought two they're so good)

I could pretty much replace anything else with something "similar". The above, I'd replace with the originals if at all possible.
Lateral Bowhunter
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:57 am

darenative wrote:
Bigb wrote:Which do you guys like more, Merino wool or Under Armour? I've been using under armor the past few years but just picked up some merino wool. Does it have to be the base layer to work or just anyone of your layers?

I think merino works best as the primary base layer with other layers over it as needed. It even works great when wet too :lol: :oops:

Agreed. Merino wool all the way. Use it as a base layer and it will keep you dry and warm. I gave my UA away after a couple seasons wearing merino wool.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”