safety first... right

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

have you ever slipped your safety harness off to make a shot?

yes
8%
no
92%

Total votes: 36
yungbuck
500 Club

safety first... right

Unread postby yungbuck » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:50 am

over my season I have had some shots I had to forego because my safety harness restricts some movement. what beast tips do you have for being able to gain full range of motion up down and all around the stand

[ Post made via Android ] Image

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Crazinamatese

Re: safety first... right

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:55 am

Never. Only way my harness gets in the way is if I try to get a shot behind the tree Im sitting in. The tether likes to get up in my grill in those situations. I wont risk my safety for shot. It can wait.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:04 pm

I have done it in the past, & this was the driving force behind my switch to a rock climbing harness. My suggestion is ditch the full body & get a rock climbing harness.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:05 pm

I would never think of doing that. Not worth it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:12 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Never. Only way my harness gets in the way is if I try to get a shot behind the tree Im sitting in. The tether likes to get up in my grill in those situations. I wont risk my safety for shot. It can wait.

X2

If anything my safety harness has helped me with some shots. I don't leave a lot of slack in mine so I can lean into a shot if I need to shoot around branches or other obstructions.

Never remove your harness. After shooting a deer it's easy to get caught up in the excitement and that is usually when accidents happen. Most times I still go into a full body shake after shooting a deer and have to sit down for a bit to collect my composure.

Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Dewey wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Never. Only way my harness gets in the way is if I try to get a shot behind the tree Im sitting in. The tether likes to get up in my grill in those situations. I wont risk my safety for shot. It can wait.

X2

If anything my safety harness has helped me with some shots. I don't leave a lot of slack in mine so I can lean into a shot if I need to shoot around branches or other obstructions.

Never remove your harness. After shooting a deer it's easy to get caught up in the excitement and that is usually when accidents happen. Most times I still go into a full body shake after shooting a deer and have to sit down for a bit to collect my composure.

Must be a nice problem to have.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:53 pm

CountryJoe wrote:
Dewey wrote:

X2

Must be a nice problem to have.

I get my buck fever AFTER the shot. Works out much better that way. ;)

Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Never have, never will. Im not sure how you attach to the tree, but I use the safety harness rope that comes with the summit tree stands.

this ropes goes around the tree and there is a section of rope that hangs down with a knot on it that you can slide up and down. If you attach your harness to the knot using a carabineer you can change the amount of slack attaching you to the tree. If you have to shoot around the tree and need some more slack in your harness all you have to do is slide the knot. That way your always attached. Hope this makes sense
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:02 pm

A guy I work with just fell 16 feet from his treestand two weeks ago. He had been in his stand for 2 hours when his stand suddenly gave out. He hurt his leg pretty bad but lived to tell about it. Hes very lucky. The truth is you never know when an accident is going to happen so you need to be as safe as possible!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:13 pm

I also use the rope with the prusic knot. As Timmy mentioned, you can adjust some slack on the tether by sliding the prusic knot down on the rope. That can keep the tether from getting in your way. I like to have the prusic knot tight up by the loop hole. Less slack is more safe IMO.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:18 pm

i was in an indiana draw hunt this week and noticed guys without safety harnesses...or at least they had removed them. I wanted to know what my beast community was feeling towards this concept. I need to get some thick rope because currently i have some blind spots in my stand. I like the harness for two reasons- makes my wife happy and it allows me to lean out on shots...problem is that I need a bit more cord. thanks guys
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:20 pm

I had to unclip my caribiner on a back I shot in 2009, I made the shot and killed the deer and proceeded to immediately clip back in. I didn't like having to do it but I couldn't draw my bow otherwise , my tether was catching against my drawing arm, the back came in at an angle behind me and I pretty much shot him at the 5 o'clock position assuming I normally am facing 12.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Dewey wrote:

X2

Ditto

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:33 pm

They can be a PIA but beats paralysis
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:55 pm

gjs4 wrote:They can be a PIA but beats paralysis

I'd have to agree. My uncle was paralyzed from the waste down due to a fall from a tree stand. I think he'd do things differently if he could go back.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”