safety first... right

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

have you ever slipped your safety harness off to make a shot?

yes
8%
no
92%

Total votes: 36
backstraps

Re: safety first... right

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I also use the rope with the prusic knot. As Timmy mentioned, you can adjust some slack on the tether by sliding the prusic knot down on the rope. That can keep the tether from getting in your way. I like to have the prusic knot tight up by the loop hole. Less slack is more safe IMO.

I also prefer the rope and prusic. Lone Wolf has one similar, but a smaller dia rope. Easier for packing.

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:45 pm

I use what Timmy uses and have never had a problem. I draw back multiple times a year and have never been caught up in it. A harness is one thing you should never skimp on price with. Always get the best that you possibly can and feel the safest in.
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:32 am

I use two of the rope style with prussic knot. One to climb with and one to tether in when at the top. Great for safety and the adjustable length makes for easy shooting.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:40 am

gjs4 wrote:They can be a PIA but beats paralysis

X10!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:45 am

Guilty... On the rare occasion it obstructs me from a shot behind and is clipped off for the shot, then back on after the shot.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:09 pm

I always use my safety belt. I even hook up when I swing into the stand from the sticks or steps. You can't hunt if you're busted up or dead.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:34 pm

I've never unclipped myself, but I have done plenty of hunts in the past where I didn't wear one at all. Not anymore. Not worth it. The only problem I've ever had was wearing bulky clothes and didn't loosen up the straps a bit. Went to draw back on a buck beneath my tree really fast, and the raising of my shoulder and elbow tightened took out the slack in the straps until they just LOCKED at about 2/3 draw. Man did I jack up something in my shoulder. Still isn't quite right. But like others have said it's not worth getting paralyzed over so now I just make sure the leg loops are a hair looser once I'm all strapped in.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”