Beast Method for the Morning?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Beast Method for the Morning?

Unread postby Clevinger » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:20 pm

What do you guys do with your morning hunts, strategy-wise? It seems impossible to beat bucks back to their beds.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

fishlips
500 Club

Re: Beast Method for the Morning?

Unread postby fishlips » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Get up really early and focus on access that the deer won't be using and won't be ale to wind you.

I have yet to execute a good morning set up though. They are very tough.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:07 pm

i am FAR from a BEAST hunter...

but, if you can slip in on em in the day time, wouldnt it be easier to slip in under the cover of darkness??

seems if you hunt the morning moon days and slip in early and dont use his trails and watch the wind you stand a decent chance of beating him to his bed...

im still trying to put all this together myself...so i will be learning from this post! maybe my thoughts are way off?

evening hunts you'd wanna slip in as close as possible and hope he leaves in your direction and before dark...?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:25 pm

Clevinger wrote:What do you guys do with your morning hunts, strategy-wise? It seems impossible to beat bucks back to their beds.

More times than not, you wont be able to beat him back to his bed. If you get lucky enough to beat him there, that is one thing, but beating him there after the sun comes up is another. If you can beat the buck to his bed and conditions are favorable, wind, him not cutting your scent trail, I would imagine you would want to be within shooting distance of his actual bed.

If he were to make it to his bed without you getting a shot at him, and you are out of range, I would assume you would have an all day sit on your hands. Then the best you can hope for is that when he does exit at what ever time that would be, that he would give you a shot at him.

It hasn't worked for me yet, and it makes for a very long day waiting for him to exit his bed, especially when its a few minutes before dark and he turns and exits without a shot!!!

I know this scenario all to well!

However I know you can do it certain days when he returns to bed just after daylight, or in the weeks of the various rut stages when the buck may be on his feet later in the morning.
I think you just have to try different tactics, and LEARN from each one. Learn what works, what didn't work, pick up on ideas to try on your next hunt.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:32 pm

Wanted to bump this thread.

I still have no idea how to hunt mornings or daytime, beast-style.

The tactics used here are phenomenal for night, but morning is a whole different battle.

Is anyone on here successful at mornings? What do you do?
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Check out the all time best tactical threads. It has great posts on the morning sit and bump and dump.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:58 am

I have had a lot of success mornings. After trying to determine why I have good success mornings and why a lot of other good hunters do not, I think the key is to recognize that a lot of mornings are not worth hunting but the ones that are can be great. I try to target only mornings with really good conditions - a cold front just rolled through, a long rain just finished up, moon directly overhead/underfoot, and if you notice a surge in pre-rut activity are all "good conditions" to me. Late pre-rut combined with one of the other good conditions is about ideal to me - I try to hunt combinations of good conditions.

So the way I look at it probably 3/4 or more of mornings are not worth trying to get a mature buck before he goes back to bed - but the other ones can be great and you just need to save a handful of good set ups for those great mornings. The other thing is you have to have flawless access to a morning bedding setup and that can be tough because deer are still on their feet when you are walking in.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”