mid day movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rochester coops

mid day movement

Unread postby rochester coops » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:53 am

Do you guys notice a difference in where you hunt and the amount of mid day movement? I mostly hunt in farm country, flat with small wood lots and medium sized fields. Not much heavy cover around. I have rarely seen any mid day movement at all. everything seems to be am or pm. Is the big woods or hill country better for middle of the day? Just my farms here that are like that? How about swamps and marsh?

Bucky

Re: mid day movement

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:05 am

Thick cover = marsh or swamp and hills = all day movement. Small broken acreage u can but it to the norm

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:44 am

Do you have roads that go through the hills/swamps where you see all day movement? I could try some state land in hills/big woods but around here you can't go too far without crossing a road. Do these bucks cross roads mid day where you hunt?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:59 am

Yes... they will cross roads

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:01 am

If you can find bigger timber with longer East-West/North-South ridges that better

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:05 am

My area is very similar...small. wood lots..roads..farmland...

I still see midday movement....actually can be better than morning/evening...Monday I saw 3 cruisers between 1230-1530...

I've seen big bucks midday in stupid places...fields and stuff...cruising or chasing...

wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:08 am

In kansas te last 4 days I am only seeing bucks at midday with the exception Of one young buck

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:09 am

During the rut I sit from before sunrise to 10:30 or 11 then Im back in a tree by 1-2 til dark. I cant remember the last time Ive seen any decent buck moving during the midday times, Im about to go back to just hunting early and late then use my down time for scouting new spots.

I have set all day many times with the same result...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:21 am

If you keep in mind this time of year (peak rut) the areas with the most movement are areas with a doe in estrous. You could sit in one spot one day and see very little and the next day it could be pure chaos. If you are hunting small wood lots it may hold very few does and that keeps the extended periods of movement down. Thick wooded areas always have more movement midday than open areas (picked corn/beans). The hot does are what causes the increased buck movement.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:35 am

I agree with Stanley's assessment

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:03 am

Our farm blew up today. Did not see a deer until 10:30, then the bucks were moving good. 3 different bucks between 10:30-2:00 today, all were cruising and serious about looking for love. This is pretty classic farmland country with mixed timber, marsh and a ton of Ag

FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:06 am

I think hunting farms is a lot harder than timber this time of year. Like it was said before if your not in a stand with a hot doe nearby buck sightings could be minimal. But if you do have one nearby it can be chaos.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”