Calling?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SamPotter
500 Club

Calling?

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:43 pm

While pulling an all-dayer this weekend I reminisced about all the blind grunting and rattling sequences I've done during the rut over the past 6 or 7 seasons. Then I tried to count how many responses I got from mature bucks I could only think of maybe one single time that I actually saw one but he was 100+ yards downwind and I never got a good look at him after he caught my drift. I've heard it said here before that hunters will only call to a buck they can judge the reaction of. Where I hunt in NY I'm pretty sure bucks here every call on the shelves and quickly learn to connect the dots. It has been hard to keep my hands off the rattling antlers (it's fun and exciting to perform an aggressive sequence, especially when you aren't seeing much), but I'm going to do my best to try to become one with the tree I'm in and stay quiet.

On the other hand, I can imagine teaming up with another hunter in a less pressured area that sets up on the ground 75 yards upwind of the shooter and does the calling while the guy in the back gets the drop on a buck sneaking in downwind...

Zap

Re: Calling?

Unread postby Zap » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:00 pm

I suck at calling but can sit very still.

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
MnHunter

Unread postby MnHunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:01 pm

I've never had luck blind calling deer during any time of the year. Once you call blindly and don't see anything doesn't necessarily mean that a deer didnt come in to check it out... There are times where deer come in but we just don't see them. Last year I killed my biggest buck to date - A 3.5 yr old 8 pt that scored 125. I was hunting a frozen pond but he came in panting and he was grunting the entire time. I've never seen a deer grunt as much as this deer... He started walking away and I hit the grunt call an he made a 180 and B lined it to within 30yds and in my shooting lane. It all depends on the area and time of year. I'm in central MN hunting an 80acre piece of land... If I rattle I'm obviously not expecting to have the results the guys do in south Texas, etc.

Personally I like to call even though I have had no luck with it. But in minor minor moderation.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:14 am

In the past blind calling I feel has hurt me more than it has helped me, so for a few years I just left calls and horns at home. I will occasionally now give some soft tending grunts and a few bleats right at first light but that's it for me. I have had some success but way more often have had deer get down wind or even hold up in thick cover looking for the deer with no shot opportunities.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:49 am

Just saturday morning I blind rattled in a buck. I never seen him but the spot I was in was nasty thick and not a place I wanted to be so I rattled at 8:20 then I gave up around 8:40 and lowered my bow to the ground and soon as I stepped onto my sticks a buck blew out of there a 100 MPHs, it sounded like a bomb going off. Moral of the story...dont be a fat moran like me and do a call sequence then leave your stand too soon without looking very good in all directions.

Another thing that Ive had work good for me is to grunt or lightly rattle if I get busted by a deer. I think it gives the other deer in the area a feeling the spooked deer busted out of there because of a buck pushing his weight around. The 8 point in my avatar was killed this way. I was playing cat and mouse with the 8 pointer and his forked horned little buddy, I finally got the wind I wanted and moved my set about 50 yards from my previous spot. Well that eve the forky comes in right behind me and catches me big time, so he stomps once and blows out of there. I pick up a can call and use it 2 or 3 times then I make 6 or so tending grunts and grab my bow and listen. Sure enough the eight comes in about 5 minutes later very weary but gives me a perfect 16 yard shot.

I also blind rattled in a 170" muley. He came in running hard and I took him with a 5 yard shot. These were all on pressured public land too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”