A great Saturday hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

A great Saturday hunt

Unread postby Brad » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:57 am

I looked at a topo Friday night and picked a spot to go just based on what I have learned here. I went in at gray light and as I was walking in I saw a climber strapped to a tree right on the main access/horse trail.
he was CLOSE to where i wanted to hunt but too low on the hill, and he was in the open, I kinda giggled when i saw the sit. I went about 100 yards past him and then went and set up 1/3 of the way from the top where it was a jungle to the side of me, for sure deer bedding (probably doe). I sat all day and around 3 started seeing deer movement. At first it was a bunch of does, then about an hour later I hear the unmistakable sound of a cruising buck. He came in and offered me a 12 yard shot, but I elected to pass him, he would have been my biggest public land buck but was just not what I was looking for. He hung out for awhile and I filmed him before he took off. A hour or two later another smaller buck came in pretty much followed my entrance in. Both of the bucks were near or on my entrance walk and both were kinda nervous, kind of like they knew something was wrong but not where or how.

It was neat seeing how these deer were literally 75-100 yards downwind of that guys spot , not sure how long he had been hunting that area but they had him pegged. Also interesting to see how the deer were tolerating the human scent, I am confident that a mature buck would not have offered me the same shots! It was a great night to be out and will stand out for a long time.

BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Re: A great Saturday hunt

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:30 am

Sounds like a good sit. Did the other guy ever show up?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: A great Saturday hunt

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:32 am

Looks like you are having fun. That is the main thing. :handgestures-thumbup:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”