The mobile mind set...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
James
500 Club

Re: The mobile mind set...

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:21 am

Couldn't agree more, this is exactly how I killed my buck last Saturday night. This was private land though, so I think it is critical to keep the same mentality even for a nice private farm. I had hunted a reliable rut stand an evening and morning without seeing anything and it was time to change it up. I sat a spot that basically hasn't been hunted for years and should not have had an ounce of human intrusion this year. The result was not only seeing and killing a shooter but I also had them come out over two and a half hours before quitting time.

I always seem to have more luck, private or public, freelancing new spots that I have not sat before or at least sat yet for the year.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:11 am

I call this Risk and Reward style hunting. There is that big risk of going in without boots on the ground and bumping your potential target but you can sit that area in the future with the new intel you gained . Also this goes back to moving slower walking in, paying attention to wind and some pre hunt cyber scouting. The reward is when it all comes together with a kill shot and possible new "honey hole" no one else really hunts. 8-)

Oh and theres always the potential risk for the dreaded death march. :oops:
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:24 am

Oh and theres always the potential risk for the dreaded death march. :oops:
\

Funny how your personal bar gets raised the further you go in, or what you go through!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:37 am

magicman54494 wrote:in big wood situations I totally agree with being mobile but for different reasons. deer move around a lot. changing food sources, predators, hunting pressure, the rut, etc. make the deer more nomadic. it is critical to be mobile and locate where a buck is right now and hunt him right now. they do have established core areas but these areas can be quite large with many many different bedding areas. the Wisconsin DNR is doing a study on buck dispersal and mortality. there are a couple of maps that they actually track a deer and put points on the map where are they located them. it's interesting to see just how much they move around.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Great post Magic!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:00 pm

bump
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Good post Dan, I very much hunt this way, pretty much a fresh set every sit but it does give me a few idea to try something I wouldn't have thought of before.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:19 pm

magicman54494 wrote:in big wood situations I totally agree with being mobile but for different reasons. deer move around a lot. changing food sources, predators, hunting pressure, the rut, etc. make the deer more nomadic. it is critical to be mobile and locate where a buck is right now and hunt him right now. they do have established core areas but these areas can be quite large with many many different bedding areas. the Wisconsin DNR is doing a study on buck dispersal and mortality. there are a couple of maps that they actually track a deer and put points on the map where are they located them. it's interesting to see just how much they move around.

Magic can you post any links to these, I would love to take a look at them. Very interesting stuff.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:21 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:

Great post Magic!

Should have shared this earlier.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat ... Study.html

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Are you only hunting these overlooked, under hunted areas on the correct winds, or are you going in with not ideal winds conditions and banking on bucks not thinking anyone will be there?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:53 pm

No doubt, one of my best spots is a midget high spot in a marsh adjacent to a boat launch,,,Always see buck (s) day one...Even a week later is a waste of time.

I would LOVE to see results of tracking big woods deer. Multiple studies have been done in farmland/fragment habitat types which prove in those situations mature bucks hold like pheasants as Infalt has proven....Every consistently successful big woods hunter I know is a nomad save for hunting yarding migration trails.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Great post Dan and very appropriate for this time of the season! Prior to the BEAST I always searched new stand spots...BUT, when I found one that produced buck sightings...that was my stand for several days! Not anymore...I remember reading your quote about you would rather hunt a fresh spot and have not forgotten it. Makes perfect sense!

I was able to "assist" a lady hunter last week, that has not harvested a buck with a bow before.
She was able to get setup exactly where I told her "I would go" that evening. The wind was exactly as
my app said it would be (unusual but it worked). Almost 30 minutes before lights out, she made a picture perfect shot on her first buck at 12 yards. A typical 8pt frame with split brows. I couldn't tell if the deer was 2.5 or 3.5 in the pictures...but most likely a 2.5 he rough scored in the mid to upper 120's very proud hunter she was :D
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:03 pm

On my Iowa hunt I hunted 8 different spots in 8 days (more actually I moved mid day a couple of times), I think it was very important in my kill.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks dan

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:38 am

X2, I spent the 1st 3 days in Iowa seeing what everyone else was doing, wound up dithcing the tree stand and going to the ground as it was the most effective option.

Had to scout all new spots as there was plan A was not to my liking. I agree I would take the poor set up, hopefully I only need to set there 1 time.

I used to few other hunters as pressue, know its a clue not to go there.
wanderer

Unread postby wanderer » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:57 am

dan wrote:When your hunting public that gets a lot of pressure or anywhere actually, you need to do more than just hunt mobile... You have to have your mind programmed to be mobile. This time of year bucks are on the feet in day light more.
When I hunt a large public area or lots of smaller ones the mindset that nets me the best results is to think about where every body is hunting and hit everything where no one goes... I am constantly trying new spots. Often its just heavy brush off to the side with just a couple of trees, but I am making sure I cover everywhere no one goes... Don't leave any section un hunted. Your more than likely going to end up in some poor set ups due to lack of timber, but I will take a poor fresh set up with big bucks over a great set up that has been already hunted... [glow=red]Big bucks survive by hanging out where they never smell humans[/glow]... Think about that when your deciding where to go next...

i'm not sure if this has been discussed on here or not, but just looking at the many aerials and setups that others have posted, it seems to me that in an area that has constant human scent (i.e. ground zero of a farm or a recreational trail), the bucks will go upwind of it. It seems like in a situation where human scent becomes redundant, rather than keeping a nose on the whereabouts of people (which would be sensory overload), they will go where human scent would be an anomaly rather than a baseline - even if downwind is preferred bedding otherwise (i.e. the downwind side of a woodlot).
The one who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one who is doing it

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”