How often do you actually see deer travel with wind to back?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

How often do you actually see deer travel with wind to back?

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:56 pm

Honestly, I think I only recall deer moving with the wind to their back 1 time out of all my hunts (That I remember observing). Either its direct wind in their face or some type of crosswind. I remember some people saying them moving with the wind to their back in the morning when going to bed...or they'll move any direction while going to a food source...well the public I'm hunting I'm not seeing that. Its seems in every instance I remember, the wind is very much in their favor during the rut and early season as well.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How often do you actually see deer travel with wind to b

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Most of the bucks I see are traveling wind to back... But, then again thats what I am set up for so I don't get busted... If they always traveled with the wind to face they would never make it back to there beds, or to preferred food, and would eventually anp up in china due to the lack of east winds around here...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:08 pm

Matter of fact... The over all majority of "feeding deer" I observe feed walking with wind to backl so they can smell behind them and watch in front of them. I filmed a buck in a food plot last year semi circle the plot to get the wind to his back and as he fed he would lift his head and scan in front of him while smelling behind. When he got all the way across the food plot he quickly turned around and walked back to the other side and started over again.

Interviewing Andrae for the next DVD he said the exact same thing in the interview...

When I see deer using the wind and walking on cross winds and nose to the wind a lot is rut... I think thats how they find the most does...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Most are wind to the back or a cross wind depending on perspective. I don't see anything if swirls or its wind to the face. If they are checking you, chances are they heard you... It seems like I have a lot more downwind encounters when I make noise during set up.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:35 pm

Thinking back the last 3 bucks I killed came in with the wind mostly to their back. Most have a slight cross wind so they have some advantage.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:44 pm

dan wrote:Most of the bucks I see are traveling wind to back... But, then again thats what I am set up for so I don't get busted... If they always traveled with the wind to face they would never make it back to there beds, or to preferred food, and would eventually anp up in china due to the lack of east winds around here...

I guess I need to start paying more attention to wind direction when I see deer, Maybe like Bass said, I'm making too much noise when setting up...I definitely don't feel like I'm super quiet.

I don't know whats going on, but it seems like every time I setup for deer on a bed or bedding area this year they come from the complete opposite direction I was expecting them to come from (down wind of me!) Its getting frustrating...
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Dewey wrote:Thinking back the last 3 bucks I killed came in with the wind mostly to their back. Most have a slight cross wind so they have some advantage.

The last two I killed...

10pt 2 yr old- came in wind to back/crosswind

11pt 4 yr old- rut chasing hot doe, wind didnt' make a difference
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:13 pm

I've seen good bucks this year 3 times and each time they were traveling wind to face, or slightly cross wind but mostly in their face. They came from the bedding I was set up on too
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:33 pm

I would say that 90% of the bucks I have killed came in with the wind to their backs. It is like Dan said, that is how I set up to kill them. I also believe a lot depends on the amount of cover a buck is traveling through. If a buck is in heavy cover he often moves into the wind so that his escape route is back the way he came from. This is his safest route as he knows no danger is behind him.

When a buck heads to a food source he is coming from a safe zone into an unknown zone. He uses other deer ahead of him to alert danger and he has the wind to his back to alert him of danger. I have always set up with this mind set and has worked pretty well over the years. I also have always thought a stud/breeder buck in the rut moves through cross winds in search of a hot doe. I also think the older non breeder bucks still move with wind to their backs, in heavy cover especially. JMHO

The parallel trail offers the buck two scent opportunities; one the ground scent and one the cross wind scent. This is why I set up to use both those things to my advantage. The wind coming from the doe bedding area and the ground scent on the doe trails. Win win.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:32 pm

Stanley wrote:I would say that 90% of the bucks I have killed came in with the wind to their backs. It is like Dan said, that is how I set up to kill them. I also believe a lot depends on the amount of cover a buck is traveling through. If a buck is in heavy cover he often moves into the wind so that his escape route is back the way he came from. This is his safest route as he knows no danger is behind him.

When a buck heads to a food source he is coming from a safe zone into an unknown zone. He uses other deer ahead of him to alert danger and he has the wind to his back to alert him of danger. I have always set up with this mind set and has worked pretty well over the years. I also have always thought a stud/breeder buck in the rut moves through cross winds in search of a hot doe. I also think the older non breeder bucks still move with wind to their backs, in heavy cover especially. JMHO

The parallel trail offers the buck two scent opportunities; one the ground scent and one the cross wind scent. This is why I set up to use both those things to my advantage. The wind coming from the doe bedding area and the ground scent on the doe trails. Win win.

Ditto! With my schedule I usually only hunt evenings and always set up this way. Smell predators from behind during the night and wind in the face on the way back to bed. Watching bucks do this time and time again proved the theory.

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:08 pm

2 encounters on public with 2 mature bucks..........both wind to their backs

it has made me a believer in the theory
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:20 am

Stanley wrote:I would say that 90% of the bucks I have killed came in with the wind to their backs. It is like Dan said, that is how I set up to kill them. I also believe a lot depends on the amount of cover a buck is traveling through. If a buck is in heavy cover he often moves into the wind so that his escape route is back the way he came from. This is his safest route as he knows no danger is behind him.

Stanley, do you think this will hold the same regardless of hunting pressure?

It seems a lot of guys on here have a heavy amount of hunting pressure. I hunt private land that has more hunting pressure than the public land I hunt. And I will say neither has much pressure at all. The public land I hunt has areas that see almost no human intrusion at all.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:19 am

So you guys are saying you set up on beds so the wind is blowing from the buck to you? I guess my best and earliest sightings always happen when Im border line on getting busted where the wind is coming from me to the bedding area? Everytime I have the wind all in my favor i dont have as good of results?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:40 am

dan wrote:Most of the bucks I see are traveling wind to back... But, then again thats what I am set up for so I don't get busted... If they always traveled with the wind to face they would never make it back to there beds, or to preferred food, and would eventually anp up in china due to the lack of east winds around here...

I'm confused now. I thought I was supposed to be set up on bedding area almost upwind from the bed. Wouldn't this put the wind in the deer's face as he's going to feed?
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:01 am

adrenalin wrote:So you guys are saying you set up on beds so the wind is blowing from the buck to you? I guess my best and earliest sightings always happen when Im border line on getting busted where the wind is coming from me to the bedding area? Everytime I have the wind all in my favor i dont have as good of results?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Same....I rarely see what they are talking about with the wind to their back coming out a of a bed?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”