Watch the maple trees...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Watch the maple trees...

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:14 am

Hooks1 wrote:Deer feed on the Swamp Red Maple down here in the deep south (Louisiana) year round and especially during the fall. I've killed several setting up on small stand of trees in the swamp.

Good info, Hooks1. Although there are a few who have posted, we don't hear of too many guys setting up to hunt maples.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:24 pm

I remember one year I had a small buck come in that I passed. It was mid to late october.I watched him for a few minutes suck up maple leaves like a vacuum cleaner. I went back and told my hunting partner what I saw. Never used it after that for a hunting tactic tho. Will have to start paying more attention now.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:34 pm

Dewey wrote:I noticed this when I used to hunt up north quite a bit since there are so many maples up there. Seems just as the leaves start turning colors is when they really feed on them. Wonder if the sugar content around that time has some affect on this and makes them more appealing?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

If you think about it when they change colors and start to drop they have a sweet odor.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:06 pm

Here is a quick explanation of what happens & why the leaves change:

The change in the leaves occurs as a survival mechanism for all trees as winter approaches. As daylight becomes less, a tree responds by pumping sugars and minerals into its trunk, limbs and leaves while at the same time getting rid of water in order to protect itself from busting open in freezing temps. Those sugars & minerals are pushed into the leaves which is why we see the leaves turn colors and why the deer love to eat them.

I think the sugar maples contains the highest concentration of sugars per cubic inch & therefore are the tastiest to the deer.

Hope that makes sense and helps explain why the deer like them so much.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”