Effective bumping...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Effective bumping...

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:04 am

I have a system of bumping that has worked very well for me in certain areas that I have not shared much about.... Basically, if there is an area that has a great primary bedding area with a good kill set up, and I don't have any plans on hunting the surrounding transition line bedding, I will walk all the probable bedding transitions surrounding the primary bedding area. If possible, I will do it a couple days in a row...
There are only so many "good" buck bedding areas in a given area, so by burning the majority of them you really only give a mature buck a couple spots to head too... You do this a few days before you hunt.

In the following map, I marked a red dot where the kill stand would be placed where there are some lone oaks undisturbed on an island surrounded by good primary bedding.
The orange dots are the actual beds.
The blue line represents the area I would walk to get bucks to stop trusting the bedding in those areas.
The pink line points the access wrought to the stand.

Thoughts? Questions?

Edcyclopedia

Re: Effective bumping...

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:42 am

Is this an example or an actual hunt location with this scenario?

Reason I ask is that it looks like it would take some time to cover that amount of terrain...
Not sure of the scale but looks like it could be a 1/3 - 1/2 mile stretch / side of the swamp.

Not sure I would have the time with a limited hunting schedule, but looks promising.

I use a similar method when I watch a guy hunt the same spot for a week straight - I will usually go in the back door and have him push to me unbeknown...
Unfortunately I kill Doe's... :cry:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:49 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Is this an example or an actual hunt location with this scenario?

Reason I ask is that it looks like it would take some time to cover that amount of terrain...
Not sure of the scale but looks like it could be a 1/3 - 1/2 mile stretch / side of the swamp.

Not sure I would have the time with a limited hunting schedule, but looks promising.

I use a similar method when I watch a guy hunt the same spot for a week straight - I will usually go in the back door and have him push to me unbeknown...
Unfortunately I kill Doe's... :cry:

Ed, its a random example that mirrors one I do hunt but won't post... Yes, it would take some time to bump the marked area... Effort = success ;)
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:58 am

I don't have a place, the time near where I hunt, or the bedding location knowledge to apply this exact practice right now, but this is another awesome example of hunting outside the box. The more examples of free-thinking hunting methods I see, the less boxed in by 'conventional' thinking I feel.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:23 pm

dan wrote: Effort = success ;)

Understood.
I'm very familiar w/ effort and sacrifice, but believe ability stops some, maybe most, from the shear deer hunting heights some achieve; at least consistently.
But I'll continue to dream and have fun along the path...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:23 pm

dan wrote:I have a system of bumping that has worked very well for me in certain areas that I have not shared much about.... Basically, if there is an area that has a great primary bedding area with a good kill set up, and I don't have any plans on hunting the surrounding transition line bedding, I will walk all the probable bedding transitions surrounding the primary bedding area. If possible, I will do it a couple days in a row...
There are only so many "good" buck bedding areas in a given area, so by burning the majority of them you really only give a mature buck a couple spots to head too... You do this a few days before you hunt.

In the following map, I marked a red dot where the kill stand would be placed where there are some lone oaks undisturbed on an island surrounded by good primary bedding.
The orange dots are the actual beds.
The blue line represents the area I would walk to get bucks to stop trusting the bedding in those areas.
The pink line points the access wrought to the stand.

Thoughts? Questions?

I'd be worried that the weather man is wrong with the forecast and the wind is bad for the target bed. I assume you prefer to stack a bed where the predominant wind is in your favor?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:33 pm

I have hunted the outlying (transition line) bedding areas one at a time to “stack” the interior area, if you will… this seems like a much faster version. Some thoughts and questions:

There are many “similar” set ups that do not have the luxury of a few oak trees on the island for the bucks to stage toward. The beds are there, to escape predators and human scent… but there is no “obvious” staging area for the buck to move toward. The trees are mature evergreens with nothing in reach of the deer and there is NO undergrowth for them to browse on. They will likely move toward an agricultural area or a big woods food source… how would that impact the positioning / location of your stand?

What if the hunt is a complete bust despite perfect conditions? What assumptions would run through your mind… did they hold until dark because of coyotes? Were they in those beds up above the island? Did they move toward the water south of the island to take advantage of a barrier? What is your plan B- try again in the future and chalk it up to bad luck, or hunt a different location?
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:03 pm

I like it, have you killed any bucks doing this specifically? Some details of how this played out with an actual hunt would be great.

Any other tactics you have not shared much about?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:04 pm

:think: interesting

thanks for the tips Dan!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Love it Dan great tip! As you know on public land a lot of the other hunters can do this for me but I know a couple of spots that this will work perfect. I might have to do it a week in advance instead of a few days but I think it still has a good chance of working.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:45 pm

BigHunt wrote::think: interesting

thanks for the tips Dan!

Please don't "bump" all my spots BigHunt :lol:

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:53 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:

thanks for the tips Dan!

:lol:

Too many beasts in the same marsh = bad news
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:

thanks for the tips Dan!

:whistle: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:47 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Too many beasts in the same marsh = bad news

I know I mentioned in the get together thread you WI guys get all the perks, however on the flip side of that I see very few hunters going to the locations and bedding areas I hunt so less "beasts" around certainly helps me out! 8-)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Great thread.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”