Using the word "harvest" mortal sin?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Exophysical

Re: Using the word "harvest" mortal sin?

Unread postby Exophysical » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:02 am

Southern Man wrote:
UPbowhunter wrote: Our country is in the shape it is because the Normal people have been quiet for a few decades and not wanting to offend anyone. I don't care what others think of what I do. I will do what is normal to me. If someone is so removed from reality that their offended by a phrase who really has the problem?

I agree with this. What I consider normal people (or people with a bit of common sense) don't gripe and whine about forcing their opinions down the throat of other people. They stay silent.

Exophysical wrote:I'm not around that many antis, I'm not worried about antis, I don't really care how the antis feel. But I'm careful to conduct myself in a manner that does not create more antis. We've got a major PR problem as hunters, its way harder getting permission from land owners these days, the only hunters that the apathetic majority hears much about are the slobs and poachers, the dummies that shoot their partners or leave animals to rot after cutting off the antlers. As a result things are getting harder for us. When I am representing this sport, as a hunter, I try to conduct myself in a manner that leaves a good impression with the general public. We hunt, we kill animals, that is our sport and I wont try to dumb that down, but I don't think going out of my way in an attempt to be overly graphic ( or whatever it is that the WWF style goofyness is supposed to accomplish) is necessarily a mature or responsible approach. Yes its just wording but do you guys realy get that much enjoyment out of infusing street style slang into our sport that its worth furthering an inaccurate and unflattering image that the world is slowly adopting in regards to hunters?

I agree with this to a point. Some people look at what we do as cruel. But I don't think the use of Harvest or Kill is really gonna make any difference in the long run. It's the people that don't understand this way of life that will be (and are) the problem.

That being said, I don't hide what I do and am not ashamed of it in any shape or form, but I don't flaunt it in the face of someone that doesn't care for it either. I do what I do and if you don't like it, then look the other way. Same as Busch Lite Bandit, if you don't care for the post, move on to another. People have all kinds of opinions. If your's is different than mine, so be it. I'll respect your opinion, but you respect mine also. Just don't try to make me live (or speak) the way you want to.

The thing is, you can describe a hunt in any language you want, you can get as graphic as you like, you can drop eff bombs every sentence if you want, and I will still get it. No matter how irreverent and nutty you come across I'll understand. I know about the self control that goes into staying on your stand until last light even though your frozen and hungry. I know how picking through a tangled mess of bush at a snails pace, all your senses tuned, you can suddenly become a part of the forest rather than an intruder or an observer. I know that no matter how you worded it you felt that crazy, bittersweet train wreck of emotions when you finally made the kill. And that is exactly the reason that I am somewhat sensitive to the non- hunter when I talk about hunting, because they don't know any of this and I feel that its important that we do our best to help them understand what hunting actualy is as best they can. "Laying the smack down on a slob" does not exactly help in this regard.

They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:11 am

Thats just how kids talk... Whether its baseball, wrestling, hunting, or fishing... And everybody, even non-hunters know that... I roll my eyes to at some of the phrases out there, but back to subject, the word harvest is a term to pretty up hunting. Everybody knows we "kill" deer, we don't "pick" them... Using words like "harvest" is like saying its wrong to kill deer... As said before, use what ever term YOU like... Hunting is nothing to be ashamed of. And people should be able to celebrate the kill as man has for thousands of years.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:21 am

dan wrote:Thats just how kids talk... Whether its baseball, wrestling, hunting, or fishing... And everybody, even non-hunters know that... I roll my eyes to at some of the phrases out there, but back to subject, the word harvest is a term to pretty up hunting. Everybody knows we "kill" deer, we don't "pick" them... Using words like "harvest" is like saying its wrong to kill deer... As said before, use what ever term YOU like... Hunting is nothing to be ashamed of. And people should be able to celebrate the kill as man has for thousands of years.

I'll drink to that.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:03 am

dan wrote:Thats just how kids talk... Whether its baseball, wrestling, hunting, or fishing... And everybody, even non-hunters know that... I roll my eyes to at some of the phrases out there, but back to subject, the word harvest is a term to pretty up hunting. Everybody knows we "kill" deer, we don't "pick" them... Using words like "harvest" is like saying its wrong to kill deer... As said before, use what ever term YOU like... Hunting is nothing to be ashamed of. And people should be able to celebrate the kill as man has for thousands of years.

I think either term is fine and no rational person would have a problem with either. They know what it is we are doing and I think as long as you are an ethical hunter that follows the law then you have no reason to be ashamed. The term "harvest" has been used by the DNR for decades in regards to deer and it has been used by farmers since before either of us were born so I don't share the negative association with the word. I doesn't matter either way, I just don't see it as a negative is all. I almost always use the word kill myself, but on rare occasion I use the word harvest. As a kid in school I remember learning that harvesting on the farm included the flesh of both vegetable and animal so I don't think there is any reason to be offended as a hunter by the term harvest. It has been used in reference to animals for thousands of years even if it is more often associated with things like vegetables or timber by the average guy these days.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:11 am

Exophysical wrote:
Southern Man wrote:
UPbowhunter wrote: Our country is in the shape it is because the Normal people have been quiet for a few decades and not wanting to offend anyone. I don't care what others think of what I do. I will do what is normal to me. If someone is so removed from reality that their offended by a phrase who really has the problem?

I agree with this. What I consider normal people (or people with a bit of common sense) don't gripe and whine about forcing their opinions down the throat of other people. They stay silent.

Exophysical wrote:I'm not around that many antis, I'm not worried about antis, I don't really care how the antis feel. But I'm careful to conduct myself in a manner that does not create more antis. We've got a major PR problem as hunters, its way harder getting permission from land owners these days, the only hunters that the apathetic majority hears much about are the slobs and poachers, the dummies that shoot their partners or leave animals to rot after cutting off the antlers. As a result things are getting harder for us. When I am representing this sport, as a hunter, I try to conduct myself in a manner that leaves a good impression with the general public. We hunt, we kill animals, that is our sport and I wont try to dumb that down, but I don't think going out of my way in an attempt to be overly graphic ( or whatever it is that the WWF style goofyness is supposed to accomplish) is necessarily a mature or responsible approach. Yes its just wording but do you guys realy get that much enjoyment out of infusing street style slang into our sport that its worth furthering an inaccurate and unflattering image that the world is slowly adopting in regards to hunters?

I agree with this to a point. Some people look at what we do as cruel. But I don't think the use of Harvest or Kill is really gonna make any difference in the long run. It's the people that don't understand this way of life that will be (and are) the problem.

That being said, I don't hide what I do and am not ashamed of it in any shape or form, but I don't flaunt it in the face of someone that doesn't care for it either. I do what I do and if you don't like it, then look the other way. Same as Busch Lite Bandit, if you don't care for the post, move on to another. People have all kinds of opinions. If your's is different than mine, so be it. [glow=red]I'll respect your opinion[/glow], but you respect mine also. Just don't try to make me live (or speak) the way you want to.

The thing is, you can describe a hunt in any language you want, you can get as graphic as you like, you can drop eff bombs every sentence if you want, and I will still get it. No matter how irreverent and nutty you come across I'll understand. I know about the self control that goes into staying on your stand until last light even though your frozen and hungry. I know how picking through a tangled mess of bush at a snails pace, all your senses tuned, you can suddenly become a part of the forest rather than an intruder or an observer. I know that no matter how you worded it you felt that crazy, bittersweet train wreck of emotions when you finally made the kill. And that is exactly the reason that I am somewhat sensitive to the non- hunter when I talk about hunting, because they don't know any of this and I feel that its important that we do our best to help them understand what hunting actualy is as best they can. "Laying the smack down on a slob" does not exactly help in this regard.

I agree. Part of respecting someone's opinion is also taking into consideration how they will take what I say. I might say things to you differently than I would say to someone else. Not because I'm ashamed of what I do, just out of respect for someone else. I won't purposely rub their nose in it. Actually, if they have a problem with what I do, I probably wouldn't be talkin to them anyway. I understand what you're sayin, but using Kill or Harvest to describe what I've just done to this deer really won't make a difference.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:44 am

This thread got me thinking about the "why" of it all. For me it's the fun, first. Then it's fantastic food, second.

Sunday I snuck into a spot and killed a Canada goose by shooting hex steel into its radiator. It looked awesome in flight. I wished I had shot more geese too because it's a ton of fun to do. Then I put the breast meat in the fridge for the week; not in water. That made it really tender. I trimmed off the silver skin just now and salted and peppered the meat quite a bit. I got the grill piping hot and threw the 'steaks' on for 3 minutes on one side, and 2 minutes on the other. It's a bit rarer than medium rare and is nearly as tender as an aged venison chop.

I really can't buy anything that tastes just like this. But like someone said: "If antis thought logically - they wouldn't be antis."

Good luck this weekend to all of you. It's really here.

Tomorrow at daylight I'm going to try to help a 14 y/o shoot her first ruffie; which would be her first "anything" - which would be fantastic. Hopefully I have a picture to post of that.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:38 pm

It doesn't matter to me what word a person uses to describe a kill. I don't use the word harvest but I am sensitive to the audience I am with or around.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Busch Light Bandit

Unread postby Busch Light Bandit » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:02 am

I feel I need to make an apology here. I didn't want to upset anyone. After reading it again, My wording was wrong. It certainly wasn't worthless. I understand not every post on here has info for people to use. I know people can express opinions about a variety of topics. I meant personally, that the thread wasn't pertinant to the information that I look for on this site. Looking back I probably shouldn't even have made my post. So with that, I apologize and hope I didn't upset anyone, because that certainly is not what I was going for. Good luck this season!
All good things come to those who shoot straight
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:17 am

Depending on who I'm talking too I choose my words carefully. I've killed, harvested, schlocked, whacked n stacked, ventilated, smoked, smashed, let the air out of, hornswaggled, layed low, murdered, slaughtered, greased, wasted, pisspounded, layeth the smacketh downeth, burnt their doors off, and candy crushed just about anything in the regulation books. I have no filter but do play each situation by ear.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:08 am

Busch Light Bandit wrote:I feel I need to make an apology here. I didn't want to upset anyone. After reading it again, My wording was wrong. It certainly wasn't worthless. I understand not every post on here has info for people to use. I know people can express opinions about a variety of topics. I meant personally, that the thread wasn't pertinant to the information that I look for on this site. Looking back I probably shouldn't even have made my post. So with that, I apologize and hope I didn't upset anyone, because that certainly is not what I was going for. Good luck this season!

Sometimes things don't come across the way we would like. Especially since people can't see your body language or hear the tone of your voice. I think we all have been guilty of this at some point. Fortunately Beast members are a pretty forgiving group of people which I'm sure has benefited me a time or two. As far as I'm concerned it's all water under the bridge now. 8-)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:14 am

muddy wrote:Depending on who I'm talking too I choose my words carefully. I've killed, harvested, schlocked, whacked n stacked, ventilated, smoked, smashed, let the air out of, hornswaggled, layed low, murdered, slaughtered, greased, wasted, pisspounded, layeth the smacketh downeth, burnt their doors off, and candy crushed just about anything in the regulation books. I have no filter but do play each situation by ear.

Wow muddy, you can certainly come up with some interesting terms. :lol: Your a colorful character for sure. :mrgreen:
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:26 am

muddy wrote:Depending on who I'm talking too I choose my words carefully. I've killed, harvested, schlocked, whacked n stacked, ventilated, smoked, smashed, let the air out of, hornswaggled, layed low, murdered, slaughtered, greased, wasted, pisspounded, [glow=red]layeth the smacketh downeth[/glow], burnt their doors off, and candy crushed just about anything in the regulation books. I have no filter but do play each situation by ear.

"layeth the smacketh downeth"

:D
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:11 pm

A lot of times there's a colorful adjective before each saying.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Dewey wrote:
dan wrote:
As far as blood in pic's? Blood is nasty, so I clean it up and make the animal look respectful. If your trying to show how devastating your 8 inch cutting diameter broadhead is, show all the blood you want. But if your showing of a cool creature you just "killed" it would be a lot easier for most to look if there was not a gob of blood hanging from its nose.

I agree, nothing wrong with cleaning up your kill for pics. Doesn't make for a very good picture when a deer has it's tongue hanging out and lying in a pool of blood. Doesn't bother me at all but not exactly pictures I would want to share with my non hunting family and friends.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Spot on Dewey!!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:07 pm

muddy wrote:Depending on who I'm talking too I choose my words carefully. I've killed, harvested, schlocked, whacked n stacked, ventilated, smoked, smashed, let the air out of, hornswaggled, layed low, murdered, slaughtered, greased, wasted, pisspounded, layeth the smacketh downeth, burnt their doors off, and candy crushed just about anything in the regulation books. I have no filter but do play each situation by ear.

Good stuff!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”