Marc Anthony Ghillie

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: Marc Anthony Ghillie

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:02 am

Public Land Beast wrote:Isn't hard trying to draw or anchor or release the string with all that shaggy stuff on?? I think these suits are cool but are they made for bowhunters as much as paintballers?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

There is no guillie material in the problem areas. On my bow arm I keep the shag but trim it down some. No interference.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:24 am

A ghille will definitely break up your outline and blend you in.

Especially if you are hunting from the ground.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:54 am

I've got one of Marc's suits. It's great. As was mentioned, he designed it. You won't catch your bowstring on it. Here is a cool hunt I had one day in it. I setup on a small waterhole in Early November. This was a couple years ago. It was hot and deer movement had really dropped off. Just before dark I had 2 different bucks walk right past me, step into the water and drink for like 5 minutes. They were super close. I even drew on them just to see if I could get away with it. They never had a clue I was there. Fun stuff. I'm not much of a ground hunter because I don't like the limited visibility but from time to time I use the suit and it works great. Lighter than most, I can put it into a backpack and put it on when I get to my location.

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:28 am

I bought a cheapy from somewhere online. After speaking with a sniper friend he told me to trimming is key to make them work in any application (and obviously archery is imperative). Like Jon i get bent without being able to see but have used it for gun hunting and was impressed. My pants remain brand new- just did not see the urge as there is always some ground cover.

I have read some articles by Marc and he is a smart dude and has his own BEASTcraft for sure. Really impressive. Another guy to learn from for sure...
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:07 am

Yup, I got one...I bought it specifically to hunt a couple slobs near their beds which have NO TREES in the area. Using the suit will be the only way I can get a shot at one of those bucks.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:42 am

Pack the ghilly suit until you get to your hunting area. Putting it on and walking a half mile thru the woods to your area will get sticks and pickers stuck to it and cause inconveniences along the way.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
ehlusive

Unread postby ehlusive » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:54 am

backstraps wrote:Let us know how you review the suit when you use it. I have given thought the past couple years about buying one. But, like public land beast mentioned.... I too would be worried about shooting a bow without any obstructions from the suit.

PS: That buck in your avatar pic has some serious mass!! You should do a post about the story when you killed him.

backstraps, I killed that buck I believe in 08 on Public land early November here in Missouri. I live in about 4.5 hour from that piece of conservation while I have hunted that place before that was a first time in that particular spot. I had noticed some tall rubs next to a very thick area right beside the road/packing area. Everyone had to walk past it going it except the rubs were hidden less you walked through a brush field. The rubs were really tall but only on little trees (notice how his horns come back together a lot). I arrived on a Friday afternoon and was going to stay for a few days. I got there just about 3:00 pm and had a straight east wind which was gusting well over 30 mph. I decided I would give this spot a go and I was set up at about 3:30. I was at a end of a field were a small ravine went down to a small pond sort of making a pinch point, with the very think cover to my North (I was facing East). It wasn't to long and I thought I seen movement down below but don't know what it was, today I believe it was this buck headed to water but I am not positive. Anyways, as I sit there I had hung my rangefinder from a limb, and with the wind it fell off and I was looking at it on the ground thinking I should probably go get it, anyways I decided against it and I pretty much looked up and seen this dude walking up the ravine towards me (yeah I would of been busted). I tried pulling back at 20 yards, no go, I had hurt my shoulder earlier in the year while shooting a doe and got my arm in an awkward position. I finally was able to hold my release hand tight against my body and push my bow away and got to full draw when he was about to 30 yards. I shot him quartering away and took out about everything, he went maybe 30 yards and started swaying back and forth and went down. I have since hunted that spot twice since, seen one mature 6 point that had no eye guards but huge mass (truly a cull buck) and one crooked horn buck that I watched for 2 years and was hoping to wait till he was 4.5 to try and take him but he disappeared the year I planed on trying to kill him. It is public land so who knows what happened to him.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:27 pm

I talked to marc at the Illinois deer classic the guy is genius like rocket scientist smart. I felt dumb talking to him. Got him to sign the real world icons book I got he wrote for. Very nice guy.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:20 pm

You guys got me thinking now. :think:

This would work great for my ground hunts in treeless areas in the marshes I hunt. Wondering how hot the suit is for early hunts above 70 degrees?

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:46 am

Dewey wrote:You guys got me thinking now. :think:

This would work great for my ground hunts in treeless areas in the marshes I hunt. Wondering how hot the suit is for early hunts above 70 degrees?

Not bad at all. Its like a large mesh material with guillie material tied in. I wear it early season all the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:05 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:

Not bad at all. Its like a large mesh material with guillie material tied in. I wear it early season all the time.

How is heavy or bulky is the stuff for packing in? Looks like it packs in it's own bag. Any idea on actual weight?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:15 am

Dewey wrote:
Ridgerunner7 wrote:

How is heavy or bulky is the stuff for packing in? Looks like it packs in it's own bag. Any idea on actual weight?

Just answered my own question! :oops: Watched the video again and he said the complete outfit is just over 3 lbs. 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:10 am

I see the ghillie suits are sold out on Marc's website. Found a suit on eBay for $199.99. Is this a decent price or is there someplace else I can get them cheaper?

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:35 am

The pants are not required and only are a pain IMO. Just the jacket. Should be around 100$.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:37 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:The pants are not required and only are a pain IMO. Just the jacket. Should be around 100$.

O.K. thanks. I will keep that in mind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”