Would you kill a shed mature late season buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Would you kill the buck?

Yes
6%
No
94%

Total votes: 193
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Re: Would you kill a shed mature late season buck?

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:30 am

I wouldn’t on purpose. I did shoot a big buck that had shed about 25 years ago. Had no idea it was a buck and I thought I was shooting a big doe.

Big bucks seem to get stupid after they drop their antlers.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:55 am

Reminded me of my neighbor. Fall turkey hunting he always says "why would you kill a tom in the fall? Its like killing a buck that has shed his antlers."

I would not kill one on purpose.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:00 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:I wouldn’t on purpose. I did shoot a big buck that had shed about 25 years ago. Had no idea it was a buck and I thought I was shooting a big doe.

Big bucks seem to get stupid after they drop their antlers.

Yep. did the same thing a few years ago in Ohio January muzzleloader season. Haven't been back for that season since. Saw another big buck that had shed also. They do get stupid after they drop. I don't get the point of having seasons after bucks have shed and a buck becomes an antlerless deer.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:02 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Reminded me of my neighbor. Fall turkey hunting he always says "why would you kill a tom in the fall? Its like killing a buck that has shed his antlers."

I don't get it. Why not kill a tom in the fall. I have called in multiple toms in the fall gobbling and strutting, shot one this fall doing just that. What's the difference? It's just as exciting.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:07 am

brancher147 wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:Reminded me of my neighbor. Fall turkey hunting he always says "why would you kill a tom in the fall? Its like killing a buck that has shed his antlers."

I don't get it. Why not kill a tom in the fall. I have called in multiple toms in the fall gobbling and strutting, shot one this fall doing just that. What's the difference? It's just as exciting.

Because its not the breeding season I guess? I don't fall turkey hunt...heck, I don't spring turkey hunt unless its with my kid.
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:20 am

I personally would not kill one and even when taking a doe have let many walk since looked like a young nub buck. I have killed my share of bucks and always trying to get one bigger so I like to leave as many young bucks and shed bucks around as possible for potential future giants. This being said, I would not fault someone who did shoot a shed buck or a nub buck as each situation is up to the individual hunter and their experiences.
SwampStalker
Facebook: Don't have it

Unread postby SwampStalker » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:31 am

I voted no in the poll because typically i would not. But i have shot a mature buck that had shed his antlers.

I had hunted this buck all season and he was a worthy nemesis. It was the most intimate game of cat and mouse i had ever played with a deer. I set up on this buck at least 10 times that season and had encounters with this buck about 5 different times. And anyone who has hunted a specific mature buck that is alot of encounters. It was the final day of the season and here he comes out of his bed, No antlers on his head. But at this point the chase had become so personal. I decided to take him. The antlers didnt much matter at this point to me. I knew what i had accomplished by shooting this buck. And thats good enough for me didnt need the rack to enjoy what i had just accomplished.

However, i totally understand not shooting a nice buck that is broke or shed. And in most cases i would most likely pass. I only killed that buck because of how personal that chase was.
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:49 am

No, he would get a pass from me.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:30 am

If you asked me 2 years ago I would have said yes, without a doubt. But now... IDK how to describe it but hunting has changed for me. I don’t feel pressure to succeed anymore. A few years ago if it was brown it was going down. Now.... I’ve passed about 20 deer this season, have no tag filled and I’m fine with it.
I think it’s becauseit used to be a struggle just to even see a deer. Then I found the beast. Now I see deer pretty much every time I go out until late season... late is still a struggle.
Dave.Bechtel

Unread postby Dave.Bechtel » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:37 am

Nope. I would let him walk. I have always felt that if he made it that long, it best to give him another year.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:42 am

I saw a buck one year mid nov that already shed. Had him on camera also. He had a injury to his jaw. He survived to the next year and was a 2 year old 10 point. He had a swollen jaw the rest of his life. Someone shot him and did recover him. I found his dead head in spring. He had a couple teeth knocked out and a grown over broken jaw. Have no idea how he ate and survived the winter
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:22 am

Good things can come from letting any buck pass. Taking a buck with no antlers is counter productive for next year. Hunters often complain about not seeing good bucks. I wonder how many of those hunters would kill a buck with no antlers?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:32 am

This is an interesting question.

On the fence here. It's still a mature buck that is just as hard to kill with antlers as he is without.

If a good ethical opportunity presented itself I see nothing wrong with shooting one. haven't been in the situation so it's hard to say what I'd do.

Probably no but I feel it's each hunters decision and wouldn't begrudge anyone who wanted to shoot one.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:30 am

Had this exact scenario play out last night. No arrows released. Looks like I know where to chase a 5 yr Old next fall.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”