What separates luck from skill?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

What separates luck from skill?

Unread postby Stanley » Mon May 27, 2013 2:57 am

I remember a thread a year or so ago about a lucky hunter or a few that thought he was lucky. Anyway what do you consider the difference between luck and skill? Do you need to have killed a lot of bucks to be called skilled? Can you be a skilled hunter without a big resume of buck kills? Can you be just be plain lucky and have no skills to hang a lot bucks on the wall. Thoughts?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Re: What separates luck from skill?

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 27, 2013 3:14 am

This really depends on the number of top end bucks in your area. If you hunt where there are not a huge number of big bucks I think if you killed one or two good ones over the course of many years there is some luck involved but if you are consistently doing it every season you are obviously skilled.

I am leaning more towards the luck side myself but hope to eventually become skilled! ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Mon May 27, 2013 6:03 am

I think if you are like many and can only hunt weekends, with no time during the rest of the week, you are probably going to have to rely alot on luck.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 27, 2013 11:16 am

A skilled hunter can go to new places and still be successful. He can kill bucks out side of the rut...

Some people may be lucky, but the more skilled you are, the luckier you get..
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon May 27, 2013 11:18 am

A skillful hunter creates his own luck ;)
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon May 27, 2013 11:21 am

I think you gotta have a certain amount of kills to illustrate that you have the skill to get the job done. But just having a handful of kills doesn't necessarily mean you have skill, maybe you just have a really good rut spot that produces every year. I had a spot like this until it was timbered and the patterns changed.....

When you start to adapt and apply what you've learned and start being successful in areas that you have hunted your whole life and haven't even seen a buck before, that's when I personally feel that skill is becoming more of a factor than luck. It also gives me the most satisfaction personally.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon May 27, 2013 4:29 pm

Lot of good posts.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 28, 2013 12:40 am

I think there is an equation here... A certain percentage skill vs a certain percentage of luck... Take a guy from france whom never even heard of a whitetail and give him a bow and send him out hunting... He would not even know where to start. Everyone has a knowledge base. The more we hunt, the more we track, the more we scout, the more we discuss, the more we read, the deeper our knowledge base gets.
There is most likely a saturation level a person can't get past... I think the most skilled hunters can probably filter thru all the garbage they hear, and the random things they see, and figure out what works for them where they hunt.
A skilled hunter does not think so highly of him self that he can't get any better. He don't close his mind. He is always listening, and considering advice, but decides for himself if its the right advice.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue May 28, 2013 1:26 am

I agree that you should take what works for you and your areas into account and decide if the "skill" of information you come across is pertinent.

I'm reminded of a time I attended a very large deer show in the midwest. A "renowned" hunter was giving a presentation on how to rattle for trophy bucks. A couple of good 'ol boys from Michigan sat down in front of me for the presentation, I'd guess they were in their early 70's. Anywho, the presenter gave a rattling display but before he began he emphasized how critical it was to imitate his technique as closely as possible... that any alteration may lead to failure. He smashed and crashed a big set of sheds and ended the display by hopping forward onto one foot and swinging apart the antlers in a wide arc above his head...

The two seasoned veterans never said a word, but shared a quick glance before they stood up and walked out... I was right behind them.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue May 28, 2013 2:54 am

In general the harder that I work the luckier I become.....

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
Paul "Bear" Bryant
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue May 28, 2013 4:25 am

Great topic for discussion. Luck is; an unknown and unpredictable process that leads to a favorable outcome. Skill is; An ability that has been acquired by training/experience. If you rely on luck you will fail in skill. If you rely on skill you will succeed in luck. I think the whole hunting process is controlled luck that eventually ups your skill level.

If you don't think luck is involved in almost every hunting situation you are kidding yourself. Skilled poker players have to get cards to win. Skilled hunters have to have bucks where they expect them to be. I never go home with a buck after every hunt. In fact I go home empty many more times a year than I go home with a buck. Is this luck or lack of skill?

In order to kill a good buck many things (luck) must fall into place. The buck has to be where you think he will be (you very seldom know for sure). The wind/thermals must stay directional for you to remain undetected, The buck has to go in a favorable direction for you to be successful. You must have a shot and execute the shot to be successful. You then must recover the buck (this is a biggy).

I challenge anyone to say there isn't luck involved in killing good bucks. I also challenge anyone to disagree; those that are successful, do things to sway luck in their direction. You start with the things you can control and eliminate them. For example; I here so many guys say peeing out of the stand doesn't hurt a thing. I say not peeing out of the stand is more certain not to hurt a thing. So now I have eliminated one thing I have control over.

A great and stealthy approach to the stand is another example of things you can control. Honed shooting skills can up your luck. Hunting often ups your luck. Hunting smart ups your luck.

About 20 years ago one of my best friends said to me you are the luckiest son of gun I have ever known. I said "you are correct I am very lucky". About 5 years later the same guy recanted his statement. He said "you go out hunting when I go out fishing".
He said "I have no chance at a buck when I go fishing, you have a chance when you go hunting, you have earned every buck you have killed".

So in conclusion, the guys that control how they hunt are the ones that are the luckiest. Skill = Luck. Luck does not = skill.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue May 28, 2013 4:32 am

Stanley wrote:Great topic for discussion. Luck is; an unknown and unpredictable process that leads to a favorable outcome. Skill is; An ability that has been acquired by training/experience. If you rely on luck you will fail in skill. If you rely on skill you will succeed in luck. I think the whole hunting process is controlled luck that eventually ups your skill level.

If you don't think luck is involved in almost every hunting situation you are kidding yourself. Skilled poker players have to get cards to win. Skilled hunters have to have bucks where they expect them to be. I never go home with a buck after every hunt. In fact I go home empty many more times a year than I go home with a buck. Is this luck or lack of skill?

In order to kill a good buck many things (luck) must fall into place. The buck has to be where you think he will be (you very seldom know for sure). The wind/thermals must stay directional for you to remain undetected, The buck has to go in a favorable direction for you to be successful. You must have a shot and execute the shot to be successful. You then must recover the buck (this is a biggy).

I challenge anyone to say there isn't luck involved in killing good bucks. I also challenge anyone to disagree; those that are successful, do things to sway luck in their direction. You start with the things you can control and eliminate them. For example; I here so many guys say peeing out of the stand doesn't hurt a thing. I say not peeing out of the stand is more certain not to hurt a thing. So now I have eliminated one thing I have control over.

A great and stealthy approach to the stand is another example of things you can control. Honed shooting skills can up your luck. Hunting often ups your luck. Hunting smart ups your luck. So in conclusion, the guys that control how they hunt are the ones that are the luckiest.

I definately agree. You can only control so many absolutes while hunting mature bucks; those absolutes have to do with your own actions. Everything else involved with shooting big bucks has too many variables that can go one way or another. Put yourself in the right place and you up your odds or "luck" of killing a big buck on that given day.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue May 28, 2013 6:36 am

Stanley wrote:Great topic for discussion. Luck is; an unknown and unpredictable process that leads to a favorable outcome. Skill is; An ability that has been acquired by training/experience. If you rely on luck you will fail in skill. If you rely on skill you will succeed in luck. I think the whole hunting process is controlled luck that eventually ups your skill level.

A great and stealthy approach to the stand is another example of things you can control. Honed shooting skills can up your luck. Hunting often ups your luck. Hunting smart ups your luck.

About 20 years ago one of my best friends said to me you are the luckiest son of gun I have ever known. I said "you are correct I am very lucky". About 5 years later the same guy recanted his statement. He said "you go out hunting when I go out fishing".
He said "I have no chance at a buck when I go fishing, you have a chance when you go hunting, you have earned every buck you have killed".

So in conclusion, the guys that control how they hunt are the ones that are the luckiest. Skill = Luck. Luck does not = skill.

I think you nailed it!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue May 28, 2013 11:04 am

good post Stanley.
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 pm

i am lucky in the fact that i have almost unlimited time to hunt, but it is my skills that put me in the right spot. part of the reason that i am usually sucessful is that i can observe deer and adjust my setup on them. i have spots that look just like any other spot but almost every buck in the woods will come past this spot when they are cruising. as i am primarily a bowhunter my ability to shoot my bow is what seperates me from some of my friends. my bow is in my hand almost every day in the offseason.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”