The j-hook

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Re: The j-hook

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon May 27, 2013 4:15 pm

Good draw up MO! Good luck with the buck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:53 pm

Bump

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:18 am

I have an idea where I would hang a stand, but could someone post an illustration to show where they would place their stand? I'd like to see if I am wrong or close to being correct.
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:22 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I have an idea where I would hang a stand, but could someone post an illustration to show where they would place their stand? I'd like to see if I am wrong or close to being correct.

Try posting your stand and maybe we can help you decide :D
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:22 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I have an idea where I would hang a stand, but could someone post an illustration to show where they would place their stand? I'd like to see if I am wrong or close to being correct.

Try posting your stand and maybe we can help you decide :D
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:58 am

dan wrote:Image

Where would you sit for this bed Dan? Seems like the buck has you covered unless you are NW or W of the bed in the field...

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:50 am

kwaldeier wrote:

Where would you sit for this bed Dan? Seems like the buck has you covered unless you are NW or W of the bed in the field...

Its a tough one... Seen Andrae have success on this a few times and have had some myself... In order to kill this buck you need to know where he is going. Sitting back and observing is the best way... Everybody wants to move right in for the kill, but watching the buck and waiting till daylight movement ios getting him across the field within range of a tree or bush you can sneak too works real well...

One of Andraes big bucks he 1st saw in a bed like this while coming out from a hunt. He watched the bed for days whith a spotting scope ( might of been weeks) The buck was bedding there consistently but not getting all the way to a kill spot in daylight... Andrae went to another state hunting for a week and then when the moon was perfect for evening movement he raced back and killed the buck that night when he got 15 minutes more movement out of it.
Fuzzy

Unread postby Fuzzy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:34 pm

great topics guys, thanks for the insight
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:05 am

ttt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 16, 2015 8:27 am

Bump
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Wed May 20, 2015 2:07 pm

Great Topic
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed May 20, 2015 2:11 pm

dan wrote:
kwaldeier wrote:

Its a tough one... Seen Andrae have success on this a few times and have had some myself... In order to kill this buck you need to know where he is going. Sitting back and observing is the best way... Everybody wants to move right in for the kill, but watching the buck and waiting till daylight movement ios getting him across the field within range of a tree or bush you can sneak too works real well...

One of Andraes big bucks he 1st saw in a bed like this while coming out from a hunt. He watched the bed for days whith a spotting scope ( might of been weeks) The buck was bedding there consistently but not getting all the way to a kill spot in daylight... Andrae went to another state hunting for a week and then when the moon was perfect for evening movement he raced back and killed the buck that night when he got 15 minutes more movement out of it.

So it sounds like in the above noted situation, is isn't much possible to set a stand near his bed as currently depicted.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed May 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Theoretically, if the trail was defined where he hooks into the wind and enters the woods, you could setup just North of it on a moon morning. If that was the absolute only way to have a chance at a buck in a situation like that I would try it...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed May 20, 2015 3:32 pm

I hunt a public reservoir that drops the water level in October. The peninsulas and points usually have beds on them (on this property at least in my experience). This makes it easy to observe the j-hook from the tracks. I video my scouting and have some good footage of this.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu May 21, 2015 12:19 am

Motivated wrote:I hunt a public reservoir that drops the water level in October. The peninsulas and points usually have beds on them (on this property at least in my experience). This makes it easy to observe the j-hook from the tracks. I video my scouting and have some good footage of this.

Please post...love to see the video.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”