Beast kill examples

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Beast kill examples

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:14 am

Since it's the off season I thought it would be cool to start a thread where you could post one example of a kill (outside the rut) that you were successful in. If you are willing include Map, deer travel, wind direction, bed (if known), stand placement..and any other details you think would be valuable to other hunters. Be sure to edit out any roads or landmarks that might give your spot away.

Here's a Michigan bow kill from 2001.
Wind: South
Bedding area: Brushy clump in an over grown field that held several deer.
Pressure: Moderate high: 10-12 in the section
I observed this buck sometime in mid October get out of his bed, travel wind to back to a old brushy fence row and travel on the down wind side of large bedding area. He then hooked into the corner of the timber and finally entered the bean field just after shooting light. My original (observation) stand was at the red circle. On Oct 18 I got a similar wind and I relocated to the red X. I was surprised to see just how far this buck traveled away from his bed but in reality he never really left security cover. The over grown field had virtually no trees to get into. The brushy fence row had trees but no one hunted there. I almost setup there but feared the buck would hear me as it was only 70 yards away and at that time I wasn't using a Lone Wolf. I ended up setting up where he hooked into the field inside the timber. He offered me an awkward 25 yard shot but I made good on it. He wasn't a giant by any means but a nice solid buck from this area in Michigan. He had great mass and grossed right around 130". Field dressed over 200lbs.

I often set up an observation stand that I can get in and out of easy. The bean field had a slight rise and I entered my observation stand from the south. I could enter and exit from the south without being seen. The day I observed him I actually had a SE wind but the day I killed him was straight S.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Beast kill examples

Unread postby dan » Thu May 02, 2013 4:37 am

Great post... And great example of a good set up.
Its funny you put this up, cause yesterday I started a similar post in the 500 club forum...
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu May 02, 2013 4:57 am

Really looking forward to this thread taking off..I seem to learn so much more with diagrams depicting wind direction, entry/exit routes, etc.

Unfortunately, I can't contribute to this thread...the earliest I've shot a buck has been Oct. 28th. :oops:
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu May 02, 2013 6:22 am

cool thread, but even moreso an excellent example of the power of an observation stand. 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu May 02, 2013 6:48 am

Singing Bridge wrote:cool thread, but even moreso an excellent example of the power of an observation stand. 8-)

X2

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Thu May 02, 2013 9:08 am

I shot this buck on October 19th 2012.
Wind was out of the south east.
There were two trails coming out of this cattail marsh. On October 15th I place a trail cam and a tree stand at the trail coming out of the marsh. I waited for a good wind and got dropped off by wife on the highway at 4:00pm. I carefully and slowly walked in and got sat down in the stand at 5:00pm. I had checked the cam before climbing up and the buck was there at 9am that day. At 6:00pm I saw him stand up, the way he stood up had him laying looking to the north west where the road was. He swung around walked down the trail and I shot him at 7 yards right under my tree. I had know idea of beast tactics. I just got lucky. Dressed at 208lbs and grossed 152 and 3/8.

This is the view from the stand. The red dot was his bed, just a hump next to the tree raised out of the water. I went in and checked it out after I killed him. I had never considered hunting buck beds before this and at the time didnt really know what I was doing.

I came into the stand on the red line, the wind is from the south east which is the 3 blue lines and the bed is in yellow with the bucks path in yellow as well.

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu May 02, 2013 10:07 am

Awesome thread. Keep them coming.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu May 02, 2013 10:41 am

Date was late October 2009
According to Weather Underground the wind was 10-20 mph NNW and the temp was around 50 F
Fairly large piece of public land with lots of other hunters, rabbit, pheasant, duck, deer, etc.
Moderate to heavy pressure by Nebraska standards

I have one "accidental" beast style success. My access route using the creek is marked in yellow. The possible deer beds are circled in red and the deer's path is marked in red. I don't know exactly where the deer was bedded, but I know he was close and I heard him get up and make his way towards my set. I shot the deer just after he worked a scrape at about 12 yards. My stand site is the red "X."

I had scouted his travel corridor the year before (rubs/scrapes), but I never actually located his bed. To be honest, I was still in my "serious hunting" / tactical infancy and had not yet realized the importance of knowing where a deer beds.

I hunted this tree once before earlier in the month and heard him cross the the creek to my northeast on his way back to bed that morning. I assume it was him, but it was dark and I never actually saw the lone deer.

Approximately 130" with six typical points on the right and a messed left side with a hole. The local biologist agreed with me at 4+ y/o. Sorry, no weight.

"In the deed, the glory"
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu May 02, 2013 1:24 pm

vanceg wrote:I shot this buck on October 19th 2012.
Wind was out of the south east.
There were two trails coming out of this cattail marsh. On October 15th I place a trail cam and a tree stand at the trail coming out of the marsh. I waited for a good wind and got dropped off by wife on the highway at 4:00pm. I carefully and slowly walked in and got sat down in the stand at 5:00pm. I had checked the cam before climbing up and the buck was there at 9am that day. At 6:00pm I saw him stand up, the way he stood up had him laying looking to the north west where the road was. He swung around walked down the trail and I shot him at 7 yards right under my tree. I had know idea of beast tactics. I just got lucky. Dressed at 208lbs and grossed 152 and 3/8.

This is the view from the stand. The red dot was his bed, just a hump next to the tree raised out of the water. I went in and checked it out after I killed him. I had never considered hunting buck beds before this and at the time didnt really know what I was doing.

I came into the stand on the red line, the wind is from the south east which is the 3 blue lines and the bed is in yellow with the bucks path in yellow as well.

Awesome Vanceg!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu May 02, 2013 1:26 pm

jakedeaver wrote:Date was late October 2009
According to Weather Underground the wind was 10-20 mph NNW and the temp was around 50 F
Fairly large piece of public land with lots of other hunters, rabbit, pheasant, duck, deer, etc.
Moderate to heavy pressure by Nebraska standards

I have one "accidental" beast style success. My access route using the creek is marked in yellow. The possible deer beds are circled in red and the deer's path is marked in red. I don't know exactly where the deer was bedded, but I know he was close and I heard him get up and make his way towards my set. I shot the deer just after he worked a scrape at about 12 yards. My stand site is the red "X."

I had scouted his travel corridor the year before (rubs/scrapes), but I never actually located his bed. To be honest, I was still in my "serious hunting" / tactical infancy and had not yet realized the importance of knowing where a deer beds.

I hunted this tree once before earlier in the month and heard him cross the the creek to my northeast on his way back to bed that morning. I assume it was him, but it was dark and I never actually saw the lone deer.

Approximately 130" with six typical points on the right and a messed left side with a hole. The local biologist agreed with me at 4+ y/o. Sorry, no weight.

Great example!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu May 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Ridgerunner7 wrote:Since it's the off season I thought it would be cool to start a thread where you could post one example of a kill (outside the rut) that you were successful in. If you are willing include Map, deer travel, wind direction, bed (if known), stand placement..and any other details you think would be valuable to other hunters. Be sure to edit out any roads or landmarks that might give your spot away.

Here's a Michigan bow kill from 2001.
Wind: South
Bedding area: Brushy clump in an over grown field that held several deer.
Pressure: Moderate high: 10-12 in the section
I observed this buck sometime in mid October get out of his bed, travel wind to back to a old brushy fence row and travel on the down wind side of large bedding area. He then hooked into the corner of the timber and finally entered the bean field just after shooting light. My original (observation) stand was at the red circle. On Oct 18 I got a similar wind and I relocated to the red X. I was surprised to see just how far this buck traveled away from his bed but in reality he never really left security cover. The over grown field had virtually no trees to get into. The brushy fence row had trees but no one hunted there. I almost setup there but feared the buck would hear me as it was only 70 yards away and at that time I wasn't using a Lone Wolf. I ended up setting up where he hooked into the field inside the timber. He offered me an awkward 25 yard shot but I made good on it. He wasn't a giant by any means but a nice solid buck from this area in Michigan. He had great mass and grossed right around 130". Field dressed over 200lbs.

I often set up an observation stand that I can get in and out of easy. The bean field had a slight rise and I entered my observation stand from the south. I could enter and exit from the south without being seen. The day I observed him I actually had a SE wind but the day I killed him was straight S.

Great setup!

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu May 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Interesting stories guys.

I thought I would post about the first time I successfully targeted a buck on an early season morning hunt. In September 2006 I was in the woods checking fresh sign when I saw a couple nice tall rubs already along a field edge. As I slipped along the edge of the valley I bumped a nice buck from the bedding area noted below and saw a couple more good rubs right where he was bedded. The bedding area consisted of about an acre of thick brush on a point jutting out into the valley - a classic location. I waited for good conditions and on the morning of October 14th I got them - at 25 degrees the first hard frost of the year, moon overhead at sunrise, light west wind.

My entry trail was the yellow line - crossing no major deer trails and avoiding where deer would likely be in the morning. It was a glorious morning to be in the woods at the height of the fall color and action happened quickly. As the woods woke up with first light around me I heard a good buck sparring to the north of me with a smaller buck, right in the direction I expected a buck to come from. Clack-click-clack. Not 10 minutes later a heavy bodied buck materialized out of the slowly dropping leaves moving from the north past my stand. My arrow hit true at 18 yards and I held his antlers in my hands at sunrise as the melting frost dripped off the trees.

I believe he was a 3 year old buck, around 130", about 240 lbs based on how much meat I got from him and very fat. I have had the good fortune to harvest some bigger deer but the hunt will always be one of the most special I have ever had. It doesn't get much better.
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Fri May 03, 2013 1:08 am

As you have read I am not comprehending the beast style of hunting that well. But I have had some decent success with observations from trail cams.
I had two bucks that I wanted to get a shot at during the 2008 season. They kept showing up in the early morning hours at a trail cam I had set up very early in the summer. Knowing the bucks were on a certain schedule. Usually an every 4th day they would show up I timed it up and hunted them on the 3rd of October. Three bucks walked past a stand and he was the last one. I shot him at 20 yards with my longbow. He was the first buck I had ever killed with that longbow.

wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Fri May 03, 2013 1:23 am

awesome thread.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri May 03, 2013 2:26 am

This is my only true beast kill example, I only had the one access point so I had to make a mile loop and cross upwind of the bedding area. That is normally a big no no but I got out there early and crossed well south of the bed. I looped back around and setup about 130 yard from him and let everything calm down. The buck got up about 30 minutes before last light made a rub, I got him to turn my way with a grunt but he held up and didn't want to set foot on the island I was on. Finally he started to move as it got dark and I got my shot off right at last light, 12 yards.

This is a setup from last year that I didn't get a kill but saw a good buck for my area. It was early season and I had a nice SE wind. I thought about hanging back and setting up on at the first X but I decided to push it a bit and get as close as possible to the other two beds in the area , I kind of left myself a 35 yard shoot if the buck came out of the other bed and walked the perfect trail. Well he didn't cooperate and had I setup where I first thought I would have had a great opportunity at him. Being early season and green I probably should have hung back a bit because this buck hadn't been pressured yet. He didn't bust me so I was going to hunt there the next night but the wind shifted and it didn't work out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”